My Swift Driving Academy Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guardrail hasn't used his 'authority' in his debates. The reason I brought up his moderator status is that he won't be jeopardizing his job by adding me to his ignore list, being that there is more than one moderator here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, you two hack it out somewhere else please. The thread, albeit entertaining, is off topic.
Poor guy can't share his story with a brawl in the middle of it.
This is the final word on it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Okay, you two hack it out somewhere else please. The thread, albeit entertaining, is off topic.
Poor guy can't share his story with a brawl in the middle of it.
This is the final word on it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I think they chased the guy off.

They did, he sent me an email saying he wasn't posting anymore here

What a shame..... I tried to help the guy and give him some encouragement.... I thought his posts were interesting....... I would have liked to have known more of his experience as a new driver just begining his career........

What a shame..... I tried to help the guy and give him some encouragement.... I thought his posts were interesting....... I would have liked to have known more of his experience as a new driver just begining his career........
Same here! The T/L segment of our industry is one that many here do not understand. Many new drivers could benefit from encouragement and experience of the drivers here. Many T/L drivers do not post here because in some quarters of the LTL side they are looked down upon. Hopefully that will change. I am a TRUCKLOAD driver for AVERITT and I get to see both sides of the issues.

I tried to help as well but unfortunately my view of the TL segment is not pretty. I've been there and did not like the way I was treated by the companies, the customers or the states I ran through. I see OTR guys on a regular basis and what I see is not pretty. Turbins, sandals, sweat pants, broken English and more. One Saturday one of the guys had deadhead about 100 miles for a 90 mile load. He was thrilled that the shorter load paid $.35/mile, which is more per mile than the longer runs would pay. $31 for a full day's work? But he was happy with it. :shrug: I can't tell a candidate that things are going to be pretty when that is what I see all the time. I honestly can't see a competent person going into that racket with high expectations. Maybe there are some decent jobs out there but how easy are they to come by? What percentage of them are good jobs?

I tried to help as well but unfortunately my view of the TL segment is not pretty. I've been there and did not like the way I was treated by the companies, the customers or the states I ran through. I see OTR guys on a regular basis and what I see is not pretty. Turbins, sandals, sweat pants, broken English and more. One Saturday one of the guys had deadhead about 100 miles for a 90 mile load. He was thrilled that the shorter load paid $.35/mile, which is more per mile than the longer runs would pay. $31 for a full day's work? But he was happy with it. :shrug: I can't tell a candidate that things are going to be pretty when that is what I see all the time. I honestly can't see a competent person going into that racket with high expectations. Maybe there are some decent jobs out there but how easy are they to come by? What percentage of them are good jobs?
The T/L side of things has changed over the years...LTL outfits that have a T/L division are Conway, UPS Freight and Averitt as far as I know. There are good outfits that treat their drivers well, decent pay and benefits, but they are few and far between. Many of the PREDATOR outfits are paying 30-35cpm, out for weeks with little or no driver support. Many come into the industry with a eye towards the LTL side, but they got to make that magic 3 years experience point, many do not. I'm lucky I work for a decent company, I couldn't see myself as driver for anyone else on the T/L side, I'd just give it up. Averitt allows a T/L driver to transfer into the LTL side if a opening exists, which makes sense, As far as Conway or UPS I do not believe that's the case.

They did, he sent me an email saying he wasn't posting anymore here

I hate to say it but if he is that tender hearted he ain't never gonna make it in trucking, or a steel service center, or a lumber yard, or a warehouse, with a tender heart like that he needs to be in an office environment, full of women, so they can nurture him.

I hate to say it but if he is that tender hearted he ain't never gonna make it in trucking, or a steel service center, or a lumber yard, or a warehouse, with a tender heart like that he needs to be in an office environment, full of women, so they can nurture him.
I haven't reviewed everything but I don't recall us being hard on him at all.

Maybe he just got annoyed that his thread got hijacked?

We might have taken some of the wind out of his sails too. I have met more than one CDL trainee who has been given a rosy picture of what trucking was to be like. One guy was all proud and he had his shiny new text book with him. I opened it up to take a peek and it opens up with, "When you climb into the cab you are in command". I could hardly contain myself this is a truck not the space shuttle. They hear glory stories of big pay, no boss, paid to travel, etc. The truth, as we know it, is far from that and I would bet that 1) It's not easy to take and 2) They probably do not want to hear it.

We might have taken some of the wind out of his sails too. I have met more than one CDL trainee who has been given a rosy picture of what trucking was to be like. One guy was all proud and he had his shiny new text book with him. I opened it up to take a peek and it opens up with, "When you climb into the cab you are in command". I could hardly contain myself this is a truck not the space shuttle. They hear glory stories of big pay, no boss, paid to travel, etc. The truth, as we know it, is far from that and I would bet that 1) It's not easy to take and 2) They probably do not want to hear it.
I was gonna say something but you posted exactly what I would have

I never liked that Swift guy anyway he sounds like a recruiter.
I much prefer when people trash Swift and tell horror stories
like a trainer who plays loud rap music
or is addicted to p*on
and eats whole rotisserie chickens while on his fat belly in the sleeper.
or at least finding news clippings from an unsolved murder

Last edited by a moderator:
or is addicted to p*on

I was going to say something along these lines. Glad I'm not the only one who saw this. For him to get his panties in a bunch over a debate that didn't even involve him, he's definitely not a driver.

I was going to say something along these lines. Glad I'm not the only one who saw this. For him to get his panties in a bunch over a debate that didn't even involve him, he's definitely not a driver.

What I saw was a guy looking for advice and such, and a bunch of TBers acting like self-righteous jerks. Good job guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
or is addicted to p*on
Astute observations if you ask me.
What I saw was a guy looking for advice and such, and a bunch of TBers acting like self-righteous jerks. Good job guys!
I beg to differ with you I don't think we were hard on him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.