ODFL | My yard isn't happy with the new OT

Super-Trucker

TB Lurker
Credits
Everyone hourly in my yard is not very happy about the OT getting cut to 50. We all asked about it, and we're told get ready to work 45 to 49.5 hours a week. There not going to allow OT just like the way it's been forever. We all normally work about 60, and never complained! Yeah $1.10 was a good raise, but now we'll make less money regardless because of less hours. We definitely got screwed. But as far as linehaul goes- good for you guys. You definitely made out this raise.

Everyone hourly in my yard is not very happy about the OT getting cut to 50. We all asked about it, and we're told get ready to work 45 to 49.5 hours a week. There not going to allow OT just like the way it's been forever. We all normally work about 60, and never complained! Yeah $1.10 was a good raise, but now we'll make less money regardless because of less hours. We definitely got screwed. But as far as linehaul goes- good for you guys. You definitely made out this raise.
I tried telling guys OT Isn’t a good thing. Companies won’t pay OT voluntarily unless they stand to gain from it. I’d rather get a better base hourly wage and allowed to work the extra hours. There’s a reason the pay increase is going affect on September 3rd and the OT increase won’t start until January 2022. They don’t want the increase now

It’s funny everybody was talking about getting time and a half I told him be careful what you wish for you just may get it but I thought time and a half would’ve been over 40hrs 50 hrs is right at the break even point For a lot of my friends with a lot of expensive toys this should be interesting

It’s funny everybody was talking about getting time and a half I told him be careful what you wish for you just may get it but I thought time and a half would’ve been over 40hrs 50 hrs is right at the break even point For a lot of my friends with a lot of expensive toys this should be interesting
More senior city drivers may start switching to line haul depending on location and availability. City is a good place to start and learn for new drivers but line haul pays the best for the time. I definitely see the new OT rule as a pay cut. Hopefully Old Dominion proves me wrong but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Not very logical comment. If that many people are working close to 60, how can suddenly the work get done with same people and same equipment in less time? Company will find out real quick moving p/d drivers around and moving equipment not full just to defeat ot will get real costly.

Not very logical comment. If that many people are working close to 60, how can suddenly the work get done with same people and same equipment in less time? Company will find out real quick moving p/d drivers around and moving equipment not full just to defeat ot will get real costly.
Dude if you’re not happy at OD then perhaps there’s a change in your future this company will not waste any more time or money than they have to we all need to except that and move on don’t take it so personally if you’re not a senior man I feel bad for you you may feel the pain

Dude if you’re not happy at OD then perhaps there’s a change in your future this company will not waste any more time or money than they have to we all need to except that and move on don’t take it so personally if you’re not a senior man I feel bad for you you may feel the pain
I guess you did not read my question.Let me rephrase it how can the company get the same amount of work done in less time with the same amount of drivers.

They’ll push for better productivity and watch for areas of improvement. They aren’t rolling out the new OT pay after 50 until the slow season for a reason. The CEO said they plan on hiring 1000 more employees by the end of the year. I guarantee it’s so they can hopefully be staffed well enough to combat the high demand of customers and keep overhead cost under control. They’ll spread the hours to keep OT to a minimum. Part time employees don’t cost anything in terms of benefits, just hourly pay.

Seen it first hand with other LTL companies I’ve worked for. Been with OD 7 years now and it’s definitely the top LTL to work for. Hopefully they don’t start to micromanage hourly employees. They’re growing so fast that they will have to start exploring different options to keep they’re OR as good as it’s been.

I tried telling guys OT Isn’t a good thing. Companies won’t pay OT voluntarily unless they stand to gain from it. I’d rather get a better base hourly wage and allowed to work the extra hours. There’s a reason the pay increase is going affect on September 3rd and the OT increase won’t start until January 2022. They don’t want the increase now
This is absurd logic. Plenty of companies pay OT and hand out more hours than drivers even want.

This is absurd logic. Plenty of companies pay OT and hand out more hours than drivers even want.
Definitely not absurd. Been in the LTL business for over 15 years. Even through the market crash in 07, 08. They will pay OT when it benefits them and then cut out the OT when they need to control cost. This company prides themselves on setting records for OR numbers. They already don’t like guys getting OT after 60. It’ll end up being the same for 50

I guess you did not read my question.Let me rephrase it how can the company get the same amount of work done in less time with the same amount of drivers.
Sorry my friend it wasn’t directed at you or your response however why were on the subject OD will have to hire a lot more drivers and dock people In order to make this work will it work I’m not sure I’m sure a lot of places it’ll be a cluster But overall I believe they will make it work or their whole peoples feet to the fire and that’s not us that’s probably the management so we’re on the same boat my friend

Sorry my friend it wasn’t directed at you or your response however why were on the subject OD will have to hire a lot more drivers and dock people In order to make this work will it work I’m not sure I’m sure a lot of places it’ll be a cluster But overall I believe they will make it work or their whole peoples feet to the fire and that’s not us that’s probably the management so we’re on the same boat my friend
I know it wasn’t. I was just answering your question.
Your right, they will need to hire more. Apparently 1000 more by years end is the goal set by the CEO.

They’re already putting a ton of pressure on management, especially the dock supervisors. They’d be putting more on drivers than they already are if it wasn’t for the FMCSA regulations for the hours we can work. It’s crazy right now in Dallas

Definitely not absurd. Been in the LTL business for over 15 years. Even through the market crash in 07, 08. They will pay OT when it benefits them and then cut out the OT when they need to control cost. This company prides themselves on setting records for OR numbers. They already don’t like guys getting OT after 60. It’ll end up being the same for 50
Wrong but ok

They’ll push for better productivity and watch for areas of improvement.

This is definitely needed in some areas. However with that said, where will OD get the equipment for another possible thousand drivers with the supposed parts and computer chip shortage. Will the linehaul crew accept they may have to slip seat with a city driver who drives an 13-18 model year because that is what is available

I’m sure with this new policy will come changes as in seniority gets a choice of runs or store time if you will they may be some heartache at some locations but I doubt if they’re gonna let people punch in early anymore
They’ll be watching the yard time also. No more punching in, chit chatting in the break room, hooking your trailer and then coming back in or meeting in the yard to talk some more. My terminal was watching that a number of years ago.