NASCAR rightsizing grandstands

Sounds like they are trying to make the stands look full to me. If they continue with pricing the fans out of the races by rising ticket prices, the rich will have lots of elbow room. They'll only have to rub elbows with the other rich that can afford to go.

Empty seats are bad for the image. 65,000 full seats looks a lot better on TV than a place that holds 100,000 with 70,000 in the stands.

Of course the spin will be enhancing the fan experience. Fact is the average NASCAR fan has to be 275# plus, they simply couldn't fit in the seats.

Last edited:
Empty seats are bad for the image. 65,000 full seats looks a lot better on TV than a place that holds 100,000 with 70,000 in the stands.

Of course the spin will be enhancing the fan experience. Fact is the average NASCAR fan has to 275# plus, they simply couldn't fit in the seats.
How many races have you been to???

If you are only counting CUP, maybe 5 or 6. If you include Busch and Southwest Tour probably in the neighborhood of 40-50.

Were you implying that I was skewing that weight average? Or that I didn't see what I saw? ;)

All the multi-colored seats that make the grandstands appear fuller when the cameras quickly pan, didn't work out so well since most people knew that was what they were doing.

Were you implying that I was skewing that weight average? Or that I didn't see what I saw? ;)

All the multi-colored seats that make the grandstands appear fuller when the cameras quickly pan, didn't work out so well since most people knew that was what they were doing.
I was just hoping you had some kind of first hand knowledge by denigrating an entire sport fan base.Its been a few years since I attended a Nascar race but I dont recall the 275 average you contend.Maybe it was just a witty reply with no bad intentions....

My recent perception of Nascar is whiny ass rich kids that think they are tough.Far from the days of Yarborough,Pearson,Allisons,etc...Its like going from men to boys,though I am a little older now,lol.

It was both witty and denigrating. I imagine depending on which NASCAR race you went to there would be a slightly different crowd. Sears Point, Watkins Glen, and Daytona probably have a different crowd than the typical NASCAR race.

I am a fan of most motorsports. However, NASCAR turned me off 20+ years ago when the needle moved too far towards the show rather than the race. Great marketing and much success because of it, just lost me and several like me because of it. I'm certain they don't miss us, as their success as a series is much better in the States than others that I am a fan. I went to several cup races with friends and family over the last several years.

Swamp buggy racing, tractor pulls, monster truck rallies, demolition derby and Cup races all have a similar fan base demographic. I'd much rather be at a Sprint Car or WoO race. Seeing the USAC midgets on TurkeyNight is still on my bucket list.

How could you possibly leave the King off your list when mentioning Yarborough, Pearson and the Allisons?

Who did Smokey Yunick work for?

Yunick was a little before my time but I think he had associations with Roberts and Turner.

Yea,im less than 30 miles from Randleman and left Petty off my list,I should be ashamed of myself,lol...The tracks im most familiar with are the Carolinas.When they started reaching out and taking races away from its origins,I slowly lost interest.Went to many races at North Wilkeboro and Rock.Met Rob Moroso when he left NW,the night he got killed...I remember drinking a beer with cooler in hand as drivers were leaving the infield at NW.Rick Wilson yelled at me and asked if I had a spare in my cooler,which I did and obliged.
It just seems todays Nascar lost its roots and personalities,though I still like watching it at some tracks.