FedEx Freight | Need Advice

Jeremy Lawson

TB Lurker
Credits
I’m looking for some advice between FedEx Freight and a flatbed company that I have an opportunity with. The flatbed company I believe would start out around $40,000 per year and I honestly don’t think I would be able to make a lot more money there but I would be home everyday. FedEx Freight starting out is part time but since I already have a Class A CDL I would try to eventually become a driver. I haven’t drove in a long time so I would need to go through the training program. I was told in the interview at FedEx that some of the part time dockworkers have been working 40-50 hours. Any advice on who I should go with? Thanks

I’m looking for some advice between FedEx Freight and a flatbed company that I have an opportunity with. The flatbed company I believe would start out around $40,000 per year and I honestly don’t think I would be able to make a lot more money there but I would be home everyday. FedEx Freight starting out is part time but since I already have a Class A CDL I would try to eventually become a driver. I haven’t drove in a long time so I would need to go through the training program. I was told in the interview at FedEx that some of the part time dockworkers have been working 40-50 hours. Any advice on who I should go with? Thanks

I drove flatbed. It was hard.

It's almost impossible not to make 40k here, as much as it pains me, I vote FedEx. Just stay on the city side, as the CEO's vision is to eliminate the road operation by using autonomous technology.

I drove flatbed. It was hard.

It's almost impossible not to make 40k here, as much as it pains me, I vote FedEx. Just stay on the city side, as the CEO's vision is to eliminate the road operation by using autonomous technology.
I appreciate your opinion. I hope they don’t use autonomous trucks for the road. I may eventually want to make more money and go to that side. Thanks

40-50 hours part time dock work is unheard of at Fedex Freight. Who ever interviewed you was not very honest.
That’s what I was thinking. He told me that usually if guys are available that they could come in earlier and work longer. I believe FedEx would be better in the future but I don’t want to struggle until I become a driver. Thanks

I appreciate your opinion. I hope they don’t use autonomous trucks for the road. I may eventually want to make more money and go to that side. Thanks

Well, even the ardent deniers have to admit eventually autonomous trucks are coming to a theater near you.

Flatbed Vs LTL? LTL isn't for everyone...that being said, its not for me, and yet I'm still here ,so I suspect that alone speaks volume.

Well, even the ardent deniers have to admit eventually autonomous trucks are coming to a theater near you.

Flatbed Vs LTL? LTL isn't for everyone...that being said, its not for me, and yet I'm still here ,so I suspect that alone speaks volume.
Thanks. I believe that I’d like it. FedEx Freight seems to be a good company.

FXF all the way...you could probably make 40K a year on the dock with the way we’re slammed right now...and driving city/local, 40K is easy.

I agree with Ice, LTL isn’t for everyone but it’s not that hard of a job...plus, if you’re in an area where they’re having trouble finding help, a sign on bonus may be available!! :1036316054:

FXF all the way...you could probably make 40K a year on the dock with the way we’re slammed right now...and driving city/local, 40K is easy.

I agree with Ice, LTL isn’t for everyone but it’s not that hard of a job...plus, if you’re in an area where they’re having trouble finding help, a sign on bonus may be available!! :1036316054:
Thanks for your help. I will be working at the Chattanooga, TN terminal so I’m assuming they stay busy.

Thanks for your help. I will be working at the Chattanooga, TN terminal so I’m assuming they stay busy.
CHA isn’t a hub, it’s an end of line center so with road you can expect to run to Nashville, Knoxville, or Atlanta and pound the patio I would think...if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me....

As for city, I’m sure they’re probably busy since almost every center is busting at the seams...

Dock is probably all part timers...some work evenings loading what was picked up in the city to go out that night to the hubs and some work mornings unloading what comes in from the hubs to go out for delivery that day in the city...

CHA isn’t a hub, it’s an end of line center so with road you can expect to run to Nashville, Knoxville, or Atlanta and pound the patio I would think...if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me....

As for city, I’m sure they’re probably busy since almost every center is busting at the seams...

Dock is probably all part timers...some work evenings loading what was picked up in the city to go out that night to the hubs and mornings unload what comes in from the hubs to go out for delivery that day in the city...
That’s pretty much what the guy interviewing me said. Thanks

We're hiring drivers like crazy. In my barn they got four guys off the dock with minimal hostling experience for road and p&d because they couldn't fill them off the street. It's prime time to get to get on board.

I'm of the opinion that there is a lot of money to be made here, if you have a good attitude and are willing to work.

As mentioned above, LTL isn't for everyone, and every barn is different.

One January day, I was standing (sliding) on top of a load of plastic wrapped wood trying to drag slushy, frozen, lumber tarps out. Gale force winds coming off the lake mad it damned near impossible to stand. It was like walking on ice holding a boat sail. It was so cold my bungies were snapping instead of stretching... That day, I knew flatbedding wasn't for me and I've been a "happy" LTLer ever since.

One January day, I was standing (sliding) on top of a load of plastic wrapped wood trying to drag slushy, frozen, lumber tarps out. Gale force winds coming off the lake mad it damned near impossible to stand. It was like walking on ice holding a boat sail. It was so cold my bungies were snapping instead of stretching... That day, I knew flatbedding wasn't for me and I've been a "happy" LTLer ever since.
Lol yeah that wouldn’t be fun.

We're hiring drivers like crazy. In my barn they got four guys off the dock with minimal hostling experience for road and p&d because they couldn't fill them off the street. It's prime time to get to get on board.

I'm of the opinion that there is a lot of money to be made here, if you have a good attitude and are willing to work.

As mentioned above, LTL isn't for everyone, and every barn is different.
Thanks