negotiations

oldguydriver

TB Lurker
Credits
The magic word......I have heard people mention UPS and the teamsters. Just recently UPS paid the Teamsters 1 billion dollars into their Health and Pension funds.In return the members are no longer on UPS's benefits program which was free and taken with you when you retired. What the members got in return was to be thrown into the teamsters benefits which are not free. Those drivers who planned on retiring at 55 are now subject to make monthly payments for their benefits. Ask any UPS driver that you see when you are delivering somewhere...this affected all drivers west of the Mississippi. To be honest the drivers did vote for this and I'm not sure why but any UPS driver can verify it. My point is everything is negotiated. If the local guys vote for the union it will begin here and who knows how long it could drag on...weeks months...who knows. in the mean time how long will the union allow the drivers to work without a contract? There are no dues being paid during this time. what next? Throw up a picket line? We can't collect unemployment.We can't get the meager amount from the union strike fund. We qualify for nothing. I would also say the customers would bail in a heartbeat. Less work less drivers needed if and when an agreement is reached. Salesmen from our competitors are already talking to our customers about what may happen at NCT. This whole idea is a huge risk with many unknowns especially for those of us who have never been in a union. Unions for the most part have been rejected over the last 25 years. The majority of those in a union work for the government..thats a fact. Think long and hard on this vote guys.(side note----we will NEVER see time and a half after eight or after forty)

wow, ok, ok...who else will come out of the woodwork and be sooooo honest and sound like a "regular guy" the management who post on here are pathetic and so desperate.

CEO-Gilbert, is very smart man. He will not let this or any of the contract talks drag on."This isn't his first rodeo with the union.He will get this moving quickly, so both sides do not lose money. That's in the best interest for both sides. So if you already made your mind up to vote "yes", just keep the faith. If you vote is and always been "no" ,just sit back and hope it goes your way. Then lines of crap i read is nothing but crap.In this country you can and you are entitled to your OWN opinion.

Oldguydriver: Please tell me what your benefits will be when you retire now? Zero, zilch, nada! When you retire NCT is done with you...I did talk to a UPS driver and they are very happy with the Union.

i never met a UPS driver that hated his job or union...oh, btw--i asked my ups driver and he didnt know what you were talking about, but waht he does know is that he is getting 12 hours a day, overtime after 8, a great pension and the best benefits....plase brotha ...UPS is the crem da la crem...and if you notice nobody bashes them

That opening post is quite a joke. UPS paid $1B to the Teamsters so they are no longer in UPS benefits program? Doesn't make a lick of sense. All of them west of the Mississippi River? That's the first I heard that the Mississippi River was a dividing line for any benefits. If the union is voted it nothing can be reduced, not pay, not vacation, not health insurance until a contract is negotiated so does it matter how long it might drag on? It's just that much longer before they can take anything else away from the drivers (and I doubt that you're a driver). They'll NEVER see overtime pay? Just what position do you hold that you can make that promise?