ODFL | Never hand a trucker a dead fish

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
2012au0.jpg

http://www.aircargoworld.com/Magazine/Features/Never-hand-a-trucker-a-dead-fish
“I love the business, which is why notmuch keeps me awake at night, “ says the president and CEO of Thomasville, NC-based Old Dominion Freight Line.

America’s sixth largest LTL company celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2009 and while profit for the year may be down 50-60 percent, “we have a profit and the rest of the industry has losses,” notes its boss.

Wonder if anyone from their company would clarify once and forall,what their payscale is,when does OT kick in,how much employee pays for medical,and pension,or 401K.Hear from some of their drivers at the terminal near us that they do not get OT like other LTL's and so on.Usually when they are here looking to see if we are hiring.In these economic conditions,most all companies take from their drivers,and it takes a long time to,if ever,get it back.

.50cpm line 22.93 hourly 401 k match plus discretionary match pegged to profits Is that plain enough for you?My self and others have answered this question 100s of times,starting to get old..........We have'nt had anything taken from us nor has our insurance increased in the past four years.

When does OT start?After 8,or after 40?I actually might be applying for a job where I am at,and cannot seem to get any straight answer from the drivers up here.Some say they do not get any OT paid.Am on verge of layoff from YRC with over 20 yrs. ex. if I do not transfer.But also have Conway terminal here that is hiring.Thanks.

[quote author=BIG R GUY link=topic=79388.msg823760#msg823760 date=1271940819]
When does OT start?After 8,or after 40?I actually might be applying for a job where I am at,and cannot seem to get any straight answer from the drivers up here.Some say they do not get any OT paid.Am on verge of layoff from YRC with over 20 yrs. ex. if I do not transfer.But also have Conway terminal here that is hiring.Thanks.
[/quote]

OD pays OT after 60 hours as a lot of other LTLs do.I'm not really sure how Conway pays.The one thing OD gives that few others do is opportunity,you can move up the ladder.

OT after 60?I had heard that from someone up here,but did not think that was right.Far as I know,all other ltl's are OT after 40.As a driver,you can't work over 6o.City anyway.

JB's right,OT only after 60 hrs.a friend at Con-Way says they pay OT after 40hrs.as for working more than 60 hrs.in the city,local P/D isn't covered by hours of service regulations...

City drivers are not covered by HOS regulations?It has always been 60 in 7days for city,and 70 in 8 for road.Not sure what rules OD could be operating under.Guess I will have to go to their terminal here and ask that one.

No offense big r but if your not understanding any of this on here you won't get it working here either. OD is not operating under their OWN laws its by the book as with the others. Good luck

Just want to make sure what pay would be,but cannot imagine,no OT until 60 hrs.Have been with Big R,for over 20 years,and never thought I would be out looking for a different job,but not willing to relocate,or even drive 60-70 miles away to terminal to work every day.Been driving for 35 yrs now,and just want to make a good wage to end career.Only 55 now.Just can't understand how they cannot pay OT until after 60 hrs.Thx.

you can work 14 hours a day and 70 hours week dont no which term yall run out of but in atl we work the max they will let us which is 60 and run the road on the week end as long as u have the hrs od will never let u see overtime though been here 6 years seen 1 time :banana:

I believe the loophole in the law that allows freight carriers to be exempt from paying overtime after 40 has something to do with hauling freight across state lines.clearly the difference with union carriers is the contract.others that provide overtime after 40 have a lot to do with their desire either to keep their workforce happier or to conteract a union presence. this is not meant in a negative way just a statement. of course i could be way off base about that.

Exactly dmtorl trucking doesn't fall under the same guidelines as say Mcdonalds. If a trucking company pays O.T. then its by their choice or a union contract. Sorry for your misfortune there big r but try looking at it this way you might not get O.T. here or as much on the hour but gotta still be better then driving as far as you say everyday or even relocating for let's face a company that may not be around in a week, month, year etc.........

From a company like od its so funny to hear those words. Remember this post. I have heard that so many times insinuating that od will be around when others wont. Better check what company has the biggest debt ratio slick.

Slick huh? i don't have a damn thing to worry about our numbers are fine. The truth is were not going anywhere any time soon so im not worried. 10 years from now might be a different story time will tell. If you cant handle the truth then don't come over here slick. I wouldn't wish any of this on anyone, nobody should have worry about their job security but it's reality. Would you have rather me say "o don't worry it's all gonna be ok nothing to worry about". I was giving my honest opinion and that is it. Can't handle it? Sounds like you can't. If i was in those shoes i wouldn't be waiting on anyone else to decide my fate i would do what is best for me and mine simply put. And buy the way slick no one even said we were going to be the only ones around so stop ASSuming thats what it meant.

Wow! Dont get your panties in a bunch sweety. Obviously you dont know the facts. The facts can be found on your financial report in front of me that you can obtain easily. The fact is the od has the highest debt in the industry. :thumbsup:

Our equipment is paid in full before we even receive it we own the majority of our terminals and the only LTL to post a profit last year. Im waiting, sweety and if i had my panties in a bunch i would be over on your board trolling.

[quote author=BIG R GUY link=topic=79388.msg823760#msg823760 date=1271940819]

[/quote]http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/Smileys/default/shift.gif
Gentlemen,

I don't know who told you that OD is not subject to HOS rules.... Every common-carrier engaged in INTERSTATE commerce has to operate under HOS rules...

I know for a fact what OD work rules are. I have a friend who works for OD in New Castle, Delaware. One day, we were at the same customer and we were comparing working conditions. When he told me he could get all the OT he wanted, I questioned that....and when I asked him does he get paid... after 8 or after 40...he responded "after 60". To which I told him....you can only work 60, dude. You may work on the dock as long as you want, BUT ss soon as you get into that truck, you are bound by HOS.

Therefore if OD pays OT after 60 for a city man, OD DOES NOT PAY OT. Why is that? Because ONCE AGAIN, unless you're purely a dock man and don't drive on the street at all, you CAN"t WORK over 60 hours!!! Sooo.....no OT at OD.

Also, there is no law (federal or otherwise) that says companies MUST pay OT to drivers involved in INTERSTATE commerce. Trucking (interstate, at least) is one of only 8 job classifications that do NOT require the employer to pay OverTime. The reason some carriers are paid OVERTIME is a contractual thing, either with the company itself or with the union. Once again it is not a law that Interstate truckers have to be paid OT.

I misstated on an earlier post,however you can work a 70 hr week according to HOS rules,Still kind of rare our P/d guys work over 50 hrs. here,unlike some of our competetors P/D drivers dont generally work on the dock,they clock in,get in their tractors,hook up and hit the streets, when through with pick-ups they back to terminal dock turn in the bills,clock out and go home,we have dedicated dock people at most locations,since a P/D driver more than likely isn't going to make any OT they have the option(at many terminals)to take a weekend line run thats going to dwarf any OT your'e gonna get elsewhere.......Any more name calling will result in your post being deleted (ONLY WARNING)thanks in advance.....DD