FedEx Freight | New Bricks

Holo989

TB Lurker
Credits
Getting to use the new handheld today. It’s nice, basically a smart phone with a thick battery. Nothing has really changed except for the way some of the menus look. Only thing that’s going to be a pain to start off will be getting used to putting the new stickers on everything.

Whats the deal with the new stickers?
Each one has a small battery, and is GPS capable.
They don't have a pre-assigned "Pro number"

Driver sticks them on freight, scans them.
That activates them, and at that time a "pro number" is assigned to them.

Gives real time info in regards to tracking info.

Each one has a small battery, and is GPS capable.
They don't have a pre-assigned "Pro number"

Driver sticks them on freight, scans them.
That activates them, and at that time a "pro number" is assigned to them.

Gives real time info in regards to tracking info.

It’s a qrf sticker with rfid, not sure that it has gps but could be wrong. You still have to put a pro number on the freight and that is the master tracking number, then you put the qrf stickers on each handling unit and scan them. The qrf stickers do have a number like a pro number on them and it shows up on the brick.

Here’s a pic of the new “bricks” if anyone is interested...

2SMMWnA.jpg

I see a phone and text top left. Can you use text and phone to call customers?
Can Dispatch call you?
Can you remove the battery? Is the mount yours or FedEx supplied?
No idea, that pic was sent to me by a another driver...maybe someone who has one can answer your questions.
Anyone????

I see a phone and text top left. Can you use text and phone to call customers?
Can Dispatch call you?
Can you remove the battery? Is the mount yours or FedEx supplied?

It can’t make phone calls right now but they said it might in the future, you can still send messages to dispatch and that’s it. Dispatch can’t call you on it either. There are 2 batteries on this thing, one of them you can remove but don’t know why you would want to. The mount is Fedex supplied.

They should NOT mount the charger in a position to block the drivers view through the windshield. It should be mounted on the side of the passenger seat like the Intermec chargers.

Mine is mounted the same way and doesn’t block any field of view for me. The mount doesn’t charge the device though.

Wtf?
Supposed to eliminate DRs. It won't.
Suppose to be able to make/receive calls. It can't.
Suppose to be able to text. Nope.
Supposed to let drivers do their own damage claims. Naah.

One day, EVERY city driver, nationwide should refuse to use their personal cell phone for FX business.

Given that Fx calls, me looking at maps, looking up customer contacts, ect accounted for a solid 25% of ky phone use, and the fact that I was with them for 15yrs,I'd say Fx owes me about $4,000.

Wtf?
Supposed to eliminate DRs. It won't.
Suppose to be able to make/receive calls. It can't.
Suppose to be able to text. Nope.
Supposed to let drivers do their own damage claims. Naah.

One day, EVERY city driver, nationwide should refuse to use their personal cell phone for FX business.

Given that Fx calls, me looking at maps, looking up customer contacts, ect accounted for a solid 25% of ky phone use, and the fact that I was with them for 15yrs,I'd say Fx owes me about $4,000.
Not only am I sure you can use it as a phone, I'm positive the old one can be used as both a phone and a two way radio. FedEx just has to have the service turned on which it isn't.
If using my phone cost me more like it did when people started using cellphones I'd have a problem. With today's cell plans it doesn't cost me anything to use it while working. Honestly I'm not going to gripe about it.
We were told in a meeting the device in the new pro stickers will communicate with the computer system. A skid gets lost and they can get on the computer to track it down. A dock worker put a skid in the wrong trailer. The pro sticker will alert the computer on the forklift they're in the wrong trailer.
It's pretty smart stuff if you ask me. Should improve lost freight and misloads.