FedEx Freight | New Bricks

I have a hard time believing that the company would pay $7 a page as I think it would come out to roughly $230 per book. But as for SLC customers we have one that I know of who we gave the stickers to so I think they're willing to try it out with them.

Not sure who the initial focus group was but someone higher up is not using common sense. So apparently we are waiting on more feedback as we roll them out to decide on a few items.
  • With the phone not able to dial out but can be called by dispatch or scammers it is mostly useless.
  • We were told of the ability to call a customer for directions but not yet.
  • Ability to use Google maps for directions but not yet. Rumored to be coming to the ELD.
  • No screen protector but maybe in the future.
  • No stylus but maybe in the future. Just turn on the function so my fat fingers don't have to misspell everything and I will buy my own.
  • Camera function off but maybe future for damage claims.
  • No belt clip/holster but maybe in future.
These new bricks will have to be carried into customers to associate the QR stickers at the time of pick up. No screen protector or holster is going to damage these down the road. I also find them slippery to handle. Is there a FedEx approved fanny pack in our future? On a positive note is the function that reads messages or new pick up's to us while driving.

I wish I could offer a positive note but have my doubts about future payout percentages improving with the new bricks and the freight 2020 are also a concern too. Perhaps it will be figured into the budget or maybe it already is but to me it looks like a bigger drain then I anticipated. Of special note are the new QR tags that are being rolled out. We are to use these currently "to get into the practice of using them" for when the system is ready.

We are told that right now only one center is equipped to use this tech, apparently in Florida. All centers will eventually be retrofitted with the readers that cover all areas of dock travel and each door where it can be loaded. Now I am not sure of the total doors in the system let alone the extra real estate of dock coverage but I see a very large number of readers/computing power that will need to be implemented in the 365+ centers. We are entering Q3 FY19 now so this seems ambitious to complete by the end of FY20 let alone but the start unless we are using multiple vendors nationwide. This will all come at a pretty large price and if not from the general fund or generous increase of our spending budget our profit margin/bottom line will take a hit.

Now for the QR tag portion for those that don't know they are having issues already. We are told they do not stick to metal and have issues with drums of liquid (plastic or metal) interfering with being read. Initial fix is to tape cardboard to metal or drums where the tag will be placed. Also the QR books have no cover but are similar is size to a book of pro's. We are told that the vendor has been asked to fix the application issue and add a cover to the books. Initial use is finding the stickers are peeling off when a driver shoves them in a pocket. There are 3 stickers per page at the cost of $7 per page and may increase with the additional cover and new adhesive type. Books are not to be given to customers so any SLC drop trailers will have QR stickers applied and associated to the pro by freight handlers when unloading trailers. Extra steps in the bricks, extra stickering at the time of pick up and slowing down dock operations may decrease efficiencies thus effecting margins.

Think about how many multiple skid orders you pick up daily or weekly. A 3 skid shipment will add $21 in additional cost to the shipment that is not currently factored into the price. At the least it will be $7 per shipment. Q1 FY19 115,745 shipments per day X $7 = $810,215 minimum additional cost to FedEx if all had QR stickers. Number of average skids per shipment are anyones guess but 2 = $1,620,430 and 3 = 2,430,645 just for ballpark figures. There were 65 days in the quarter so $52.6 million minimum. Just remember this is per quarter for the system. Add in cost to recruit/maintain talent and it could reduce our margin by 2.5% on the low end or more depending on skid count if not handled correctly.
Thanks Point!

Kind of glad we are not at the front of the roll out, but I suspect it will get sorted out. Hopefully before it reaches the masses.

Kind of curious, are these stickers individually "assigned" to a pro, regardless of the number needed? Does one box (H/U) waste a whole page, or just the single sticker? Does a 4 H/U ship use 2 pages or just 4 stickers, with remaining 2 used for the next ship? My understanding is each H/U MUST have this sticker, for the process to work. True?

What about a loose piece found, that fell off of a SWS? Does OS&D assign a sticker (associated with the original pro) to said piece?

What about deliveries? Is the label scanned, or accounted for, or just business as usual based on the pro?

Just looking to better understand the concept...

Thanks Point!

Kind of glad we are not at the front of the roll out, but I suspect it will get sorted out. Hopefully before it reaches the masses.

Kind of curious, are these stickers individually "assigned" to a pro, regardless of the number needed? Does one box (H/U) waste a whole page, or just the single sticker? Does a 4 H/U ship use 2 pages or just 4 stickers, with remaining 2 used for the next ship? My understanding is each H/U MUST have this sticker, for the process to work. True?

What about a loose piece found, that fell off of a SWS? Does OS&D assign a sticker (associated with the original pro) to said piece?

What about deliveries? Is the label scanned, or accounted for, or just business as usual based on the pro?

Just looking to better understand the concept...
Each QR does have a number but it is associated with the main pro, for now. Eventually we are told the pro will be replaced by the QR. Not looking forward to that as the numbers are small and in a dark trailer hard to read. I know you could possibly scan them to see what stop the skid belongs to but again you have the issue of a slippery brick and no belt clip. They are 3 per page and basically the size of a pro book now. So if you have 1 box you use 1 QR and 2 are left on the page. If a box gets loose from the wrapped skid all bets are off. I would assume OS&D could associate a QR to the original pro. For deliveries it is business as usual until further notice as the stickers are mostly for show. Only one center has the readers to use the tech. As long as the skid remain intact we will not mis-load or loose freight they say because the lift driver will get a warning. A misplaced skid in theory can move right away without involving OS&D and possibly catch up in time to deliver rather then sitting for a day or 2.

We have started training on the new bricks this week.
What I have been told QC stickers are $7.00 per book not page, but who cares its above my pay.
Someone brings up a good point what happens when the pallet is re-wrapped (this never happens :2437:), guess we will find out soon.
The good is our current bricks are dead or almost dead. So if they are giving me something that works better I am for it.
Old dog new tricks, may be hard for some but the company (with its self interest) is moving forward. With anything new there will be issues period. If they had asked the drivers (road and City) they would have gotten 1000 of answers. Me I would have wanted one that could have levitated a pallet off my truck and had a hand warmer. This is why I was not asked. So for now its hands off until I get training, I will post again in a week or two and let you know what I think after using one.

Marry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody. :wavey:

FedEx News (Should have been shared with all), in case you missed it:

Freight 2020 technology makes its way into the field

The entire FedEx enterprise is working to incorporate the right tools and systems that will allow for sustained growth into the future. Technology and innovation are at the core of everything FedEx does, and FedEx Freight is no exception to that. Through the Freight 2020 initiatives, more service centers are being exposed to updated technology each week.

The transition from CN70s to the new Panasonic handhelds is in full swing, with more than 3,000 P&D and Dock handhelds already in use. By the end of this week, more than 5,000 handhelds will be actively in use. Moving forward, approximately 1,000 new handhelds will be deployed weekly to ensure that all U.S. FedEx Freight service centers have the devices in place by the end of March 2019. Canadian service centers are scheduled to have the new handhelds by the end of the fiscal year.

Service centers that do not have the new handhelds yet, should expect to receive information regarding their specific rollout timeline from the Learning & Development team.

As the handheld rollout continues, the VM3 Forklift Computer rollout is just beginning. The installation of the VM3 computers will take place prior to a software update that includes an updated screen design and workflow. The VM3 forklift software is currently being piloted at select service centers to address any issues before beginning a full deployment in early 2019.

Additionally, service centers in the Orlando District are piloting RFID hardware and software. Installations across the U.S. will take place in the coming months.

Each one has a small battery, and is GPS capable.
They don't have a pre-assigned "Pro number"

Driver sticks them on freight, scans them.
That activates them, and at that time a "pro number" is assigned to them.

Gives real time info in regards to tracking info.
I can't believe they are finally getting them. I remember hearing about them in 2005 when I started that they were struggling on getting the cost of each one down to a reasonable amount.

2 Weeks with new brick -
The new stickers add more time, same with scanning them.
I had a pickup with 19 HU and thought I was done hit the wrong button and lost everything. I was sent back to the pickup screen. Started over.
My unit crashed Friday in the yard had a AM so had to leave and call in to fix it latter.
New bricks old software.
The old bricks at our terminal were garbage (had more holes than a net) so like the new ones.
I will get use to the new system and get a rhythm going.
Hopefully the higher ups will get feedback to make some things better.
Like the single staple in the book came out and now i have just loose pages of stickers. I would like one book with QC stickers and Pros all in one book. I am holding my breath starting now :1904:. Starting now again :1904:. Starting now again :1904:.

Yep the staple is hit or miss. If you are careful you can tear off a used page. I leave one used page to act as a cover until that issue is finally fixed. I am finding many pages are not stapled into the stack for some reason so like you they just are free roaming.