Pitt-Ohio | New Cameras

Michaelscott

TB Lurker
Credits
Who has the new camera and what capabilities does it have? We have heard it records inside truck sound and has a speed limit sign reader.

I don’t yet have one but other drivers have said it will record and give a verbal reminder if they don’t come to a complete stop at a stop sign. We were told they do not record inside the cab and they have no intention of activating that feature, also that the driver facing lens is covered which it clearly is. Because of the gap between the camera and windshield some say it’s possible to pickup a reflection of the driver off the windshield if the lighting conditions are right. The camera in the truck I drive came with the capability of reading speed limit signs and records and gives an audio and visual warning when exceeding the speed limit by more than 5mph. That truck is a 2018 so I assumed it was a matter of time before all trucks would have them.

I drove one of the Peterbilts one night with the speed reader and it was more stressful paying attention to the reader. I’m sure you’d get used to it but I couldn’t stand it! Always thought it was weird that the Macks don’t have them but the Petes, Internationals, and I’ve been told the new Freightliners do have them.

I drove one of the Peterbilts one night with the speed reader and it was more stressful paying attention to the reader. I’m sure you’d get used to it but I couldn’t stand it! Always thought it was weird that the Macks don’t have them but the Petes, Internationals, and I’ve been told the new Freightliners do have them.
In 2018 we got two Peterbilts, and one International with the then-new camera that you mentioned, and already had an International from the year before with it. I was also surprised that none of the Macks purchased not only that year but every since still had the old style camera, especially when I’ve heard of drivers being disciplined for speeding violations that were caught by the camera, not law enforcement. In tbe 3 1/2 years I’ve had the truck I haven’t heard a word from safety about speeding so I can’t attest to whether not what I heard about the discipline is is true. It would be very unfair to hold some drivers accountable for doing something while most other drivers aren’t even being monitored. As for the audible warnings, yes they are unnecessarily annoying but that’s not taken into consideration because the answer to that is to don’t do whatever is causing the alarms to go off. That’s a no brainer and fails to take into consideration how often the warnings are the result of the actions of another driver.

I don’t know how to edit my post but I wanted to add to that last sentence that the actions of other drivers that I mentioned are those that don’t require a reaction by me and by the time the truck reacts the obstacle is already clear, such as when a driver cuts in front of you to keep from passing their exit. Alarms are one thing but the computer having the ability to unnecessarily slam on the brakes, even with the cruise control off, is more likely to cause an accident than prevent one.

I don't know how fast your trucks run, but my experience with fxf is that unless you're running over 75 no one will bother you about those speed warnings. And yes they are annoying as hell and the auto braking systems are for Sh##.. The thing you might get jammed up with is the reflection of the phone in the windshield. If you go to the OD boards they have a whole thread on it. At fxf they told us they weren't specifically looking for the reflection deal, if there was an incident and that showed up they would light you up.

I don't know how fast your trucks run, but my experience with fxf is that unless you're running over 75 no one will bother you about those speed warnings. And yes they are annoying as hell and the auto braking systems are for Sh##.. The thing you might get jammed up with is the reflection of the phone in the windshield. If you go to the OD boards they have a whole thread on it. At fxf they told us they weren't specifically looking for the reflection deal, if there was an incident and that showed up they would light you up.
We are at 67mph, over 70 for one minute plus = write up. 75+ = 3 days off or termination (can’t remember). Haven’t been caught doing either. I have seen my speedo hit 75, but never heard anything about it. Seems like safety is more attentive when business is slow.

We are at 67mph, over 70 for one minute plus = write up. 75+ = 3 days off or termination (can’t remember). Haven’t been caught doing either. I have seen my speedo hit 75, but never heard anything about it. Seems like safety is more attentive when business is slow.
Hit the nail right on the head with that statement driver, stay safe out there.

I don’t think a few seconds of 75 mph is recorded or will earn you discipline, especially when they can tell if we caught it quickly and got right on the brakes. I agree that we might be monitored a little more closely when suspensions will have less of an impact on the operation but should also add that in 13 years I’ve had a few conversations with safety and have never felt I’ve been treated unfairly.

I'm in 2018 Mack with one in the city, if this thing talking to me every day is going to be a thing I'm out. Makes pulling out into traffic difficult.

Thanks for finding a way to make an already stressful job more stressful.

I always liked the safety meetings where some yahoo from corporate said something like, "safety is number one." At the end, when my retirement papers were in, I corrected him. Productivity and profit are job one.

I always liked the safety meetings where some yahoo from corporate said something like, "safety is number one." At the end, when my retirement papers were in, I corrected him. Productivity and profit are job one.
Hey R.B.! They are calling you out on the ABF boards...why don't you post something like this over there...they are say that you are encouraging cowering in the corner until your retirement papers are in...is that so? Come on back to your fellow ABF teamsters board, OR did you
send in your retirement papers over there?

I have fond memories of D2172 breaking down running the city in Erie. In the middle of the street. When it was brand new.
We have:had 2170 and it’s trouble prone. I actually haven’t seen it in months and don’t even know if we’re getting it back. I did see one listed at the auction in Mercer that was from that first trial group, with the console keypad for the transmission, and in the description it mentioned bent and broken valves. The Peterbilt I drive is from the group purchased later that year (2018) and it’s been one of the most reliable trucks at our terminal. It had to go back to dealer twice for clutch and transmission issues because the Eaton Ultrashift is absolute junk, but most of its downtime has been waiting for parts for minor repairs.