ABF | New change of ops

Are drivers generally in favor of doing turns? I like doing the lay downs because if I get in late I don't wake my wife up. I don't want to sleep in the daytime at home with a barking dog to wake me up.

A friend of mine is losing his mind. He thinks that meet and greet turns are going to be the best idea since rope was invented.

I'm not because they are not coordinated enough. many terminals are dispatched by another terminal or central dispatch, they cant seem to sync up. We should not be waiting for 1,2 + hrs for opposite driver to show up. the reason other companies can do turns like this effectively is because they drop loads and work ahead. Any driver that is happy sitting frof hrs, pay or no pay is a fool. And by the way, we have to give them 1 hr... B.S.

Are drivers generally in favor of doing turns? I like doing the lay downs because if I get in late I don't wake my wife up. I don't want to sleep in the daytime at home with a barking dog to wake me up.

A friend of mine is losing his mind. He thinks that meet and greet turns are going to be the best idea since rope was invented.
I am like you. I would much rather do lay runs

I'm not because they are not coordinated enough. many terminals are dispatched by another terminal or central dispatch, they cant seem to sync up. We should not be waiting for 1,2 + hrs for opposite driver to show up. the reason other companies can do turns like this effectively is because they drop loads and work ahead. Any driver that is happy sitting frof hrs, pay or no pay is a fool. And by the way, we have to give them 1 hr... B.S.
In Carolina supplement only time we have to give them an hour is at a meet and greet at a terminal. Any other place and it’s from time we get there until we leave

earplugs work wonders for day sleeping. I always wore them in the motels, yet never missed a call. I refused to allow inconsiderate people with normal lifestyles to rob my sleep. They will go to meet and turns where it makes sense because of the high motel bills. Tim told us several years ago that he wrote a $250,000 check every month for motels. Meet and turns will work IF they can get the terminals to close out trailers and run on schedules so the drivers don't sit on the clock at the turn points. A couple of hours delay time will wipe that savings out. Some guys refuse to allow their cellphones to be used for Company business, but I always called my meet driver if I had his number as a courtesy so he knew what was happening. Cellphones can make things run smoothly if you want them to. In the event that one driver breaks down enroute, sometimes you can plan alternatives before the 14 hr clock expires on both of you. Oh, and the barking dog? Get a shock collar. He'll get the message. Now, since you can't deduct your road expense anymore on taxes, meet and turns just make sense. Our layovers were always at end of line terminals on the west coast, so we layed a lot for 16-18 hrs waiting for trailers to close out. We were tired again before we left. I hated that. I figured it was going to put me in an early grave, but I'm 74 and still tickin' so I guess I was wrong about that too.

Last edited:
I believe the hour free time only applies between the fourth and sixth hour. The company can require you to take a lunch hour.
I think you are right, but there has to be an open facility at the location where you can get a meal, I believe. Convenience stores don't count, and I don't think they can force you to carry a brown bag. At least that was the way it used to be, but back then there were restaurants that stayed open and that was where they set the turns. Now with these elogs, you are required to take a 30 min break regardless before your 8th hour, even if it's on an on-ramp. If you take your lunch hour at your meet point 5 or 5.5 hrs out and hit weather or traffic you could need another mandatory 30 min DOT break after 8 hours, or say, a half hour out of the barn if you are using your full 14 or even your emergency 2hr extension of 16 hours. Sucks.... They will need to set up ways to come out and pick up drivers that run out of hours coming home and MEAN IT, not just promise it. Heard that before....

Last edited:
well personally I believe you have grounds for a winnable grievance especially if you are on a meet and turn with a UE driver I ran UE from the time they started it until I retired this year If the UE driver isn't required to give them an hour then neither is linehaul The only thing a UE driver has ever been required to is take 1/2 hr lunch break before the 8th hr The break is at the drivers time and place of their choosing

well personally I believe you have grounds for a winnable grievance especially if you are on a meet and turn with a UE driver I ran UE from the time they started it until I retired this year If the UE driver isn't required to give them an hour then neither is linehaul The only thing a UE driver has ever been required to is take 1/2 hr lunch break before the 8th hr The break is at the drivers time and place of their choosing
The UE driver is on the clock when he punches in until he punches out. And his 30 minute lunch

In Carolina supplement only time we have to give them an hour is at a meet and greet at a terminal. Any other place and it’s from time we get there until we leave
I'm sure the Carolina supplement could have changed since I worked.
Even back in the 50s, we were required to take a meal period between the 4th and 6th hr.
On our slip seats, we swapped tractors and trailers never drove the same tractor.
I'm not familiar with the UE driver term.

I'm sure the Carolina supplement could have changed since I worked.
Even back in the 50s, we were required to take a meal period between the 4th and 6th hr.
On our slip seats, we swapped tractors and trailers never drove the same tractor.
I'm not familiar with the UE driver term.
Seabreeze the UE term is a driver that can work across the classifications of city linehaul dock yard and can do it in most locations Example I had a 19:00 m-f start Came in worked outbound yard city whatever I was assigned When cut time (22:30) rolled around I hooked my dispatch and ran the road on a turn Mine was South Chicago Dispatch allowed 1 via either way Other uses for UE position would be report load your trailer go to HVXP point Work your load reload and return HVXP points move next day and 2 day FRT Since covid most of the HVXP points have been closed Before I retired they were talking of reopening these facilities in QTR 2 2021 With the amount of money they invested in Elkhart and Indy they have do something

Seabreeze the UE term is a driver that can work across the classifications of city linehaul dock yard and can do it in most locations Example I had a 19:00 m-f start Came in worked outbound yard city whatever I was assigned When cut time (22:30) rolled around I hooked my dispatch and ran the road on a turn Mine was South Chicago Dispatch allowed 1 via either way Other uses for UE position would be report load your trailer go to HVXP point Work your load reload and return HVXP points move next day and 2 day FRT Since covid most of the HVXP points have been closed Before I retired they were talking of reopening these facilities in QTR 2 2021 With the amount of money they invested in Elkhart and Indy they have do something
Times have changed for sure, in my times a peddle run driver could run no more than 74 miles from home, anything more was run by line drivers.
If I'm not mistaken peddle drivers were not required to log.

Times have changed for sure, in my times a peddle run driver could run no more than 74 miles from home, anything more was run by line drivers.
If I'm not mistaken peddle drivers were not required to log.
If city driver's go over 12 hr log is required ABF just requires everyone to use ELD so everything is covered Yes everything has changed city runs are much longer 200 plus miles per day are common Combining terminals equals longer runs

I heard from a Carlisle driver the change was put on hold because they couldn’t get drivers in place. Does anyone know if they still had the hearing and what happened?

I heard from a Carlisle driver the change was put on hold because they couldn’t get drivers in place. Does anyone know if they still had the hearing and what happened?
I wouldn’t doubt it, I know we’re loading around the breaks because they are so backed up….

Union steward here in Atlanta said the change passed the committee last week but we have not heard when it is going to be implemented. We are waiting for the second shoe to drop.