XPO | New cut times for L/H

Had a good talk with my TM before my run last night. He had a conference call on this. Dalesr is correct. That's what they want. We will still pick up late freight, but it stays until the next night. Dispatch times are going to be in stone. I know this has been tried over and over, but they know they will be tight under elogs. They want to maximize the drivers to drive. Going to be some sour fos's through the system.....

The 16 hour exemption rule CAN NOT be used just because you have an idiot for a supervisor and he/she doesn't know how to dispatch.
This info came directly from the mouth of a regional level manager. He also had added something about going over 14 hours was only allowed for a confirmed accident delay or extreme weather delay, and could only be used one time in a thirty day period.
Heck, who knows?

Is there more language about this law than what you posted Ice?
Maybe it's hidden after what you posted?

Had a good talk with my TM before my run last night. He had a conference call on this. Dalesr is correct. That's what they want. We will still pick up late freight, but it stays until the next night. Dispatch times are going to be in stone. I know this has been tried over and over, but they know they will be tight under elogs. They want to maximize the drivers to drive. Going to be some sour fos's through the system.....
If this is true then we are going to sit a lot of freight. I'm usually the first driver on the dock and that's 6pm. We have drivers getting back from p/d runs all the way till 730 or so. First XNW is out the gate 630 I heard. Last XNW is 830. I guess management will have to explain why customers freight is a day late

Our first driver to xnw is dispatching by 18:30. That's before the run sheet comes out. I figured he would be going on mt's but I haven't asked him. Our outbound fos has been getting us out on time with a couple exceptions. All runs must dispatch by 20:30, old time was 21:30. As much as he doesn't like it, he's getting it done. It helps that we aren't that busy. I haven't heard anything about late pick ups not moving the same day as pick ups? Veteran P, have you?

This info came directly from the mouth of a regional level manager. He also had added something about going over 14 hours was only allowed for a confirmed accident delay or extreme weather delay, and could only be used one time in a thirty day period.
Heck, who knows?

I think what you are referring to is the adverse driving conditions exemption. That gives you up to 13 hours of drive time, but cannot be used on the same shift as a 16 hour. And yes, adverse conditions can include traffic, accidents, weather issues, etc. So the way we run, we would still be out of hours anyway. With our operation, there are few, if any, circumstances where we would squeeze more than 11 hours of drive time into a 14 hour shift.

I should add that, if the company wants to, they can enforce a policy that is more strict than regulation, but I haven't heard of such a policy where I'm at.
You are 100% right the regs are the max you and company must follow. The company can impose stricter policies

Heck, who knows?

Well when you get to 14hrs you pull over and make then come get you. Problem solved.

It can be used once a week for any reason.

A driver can drive a CMV after the 14th hour after coming on duty, but not after the 16th hour, IF he or she:

Was released from duty at the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours, andReturns to the normal work reporting location and is released from duty within 16 hours, andHas not used this exception in the previous 6 consecutive days, except following a 34-hour restart.

Drivers claiming this exception remain subject to the 11-hour driving limit, but they essentially have an extra two hours in which to complete that driving.
16-Hour Short-Haul Exception §395.1(o)
For drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) who drive locally, there is an exception to the 14-hour rule (which requires that drivers of property-carrying CMVs stop driving upon reaching the 14th consecutive hour after first coming on duty). The so-called "short-haul" exception allows these drivers to extend the 14-hour period by two hours once per week, under certain conditions.
A driver can drive a CMV after the 14th hour after coming on duty, but not after the 16th hour, IF he or she:
  • Was released from duty at the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours, and
  • Returns to the normal work reporting location and is released from duty within 16 hours, and
  • Has not used this exception in the previous 6 consecutive days, except following a 34-hour restart.
Drivers claiming this exception remain subject to the 11-hour driving limit, but they essentially have an extra two hours in which to complete that driving.
Note that a 34-hour restart will allow a driver to use this exception more than once every 6 days, but a restart will not affect the requirement that the driver must have returned to the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours.
Short-haul drivers who normally use the 100-air-mile exception and do not complete a standard grid log will have to complete a log on days when they use the short-haul exception, because they are working beyond the 12-hour limit (see the 100-air-mile-radius driver topic for more information).
For information on the non-CDL short-haul driver exception, for those who stay within a 150 air-mile radius, refer to the Non-CDL-Driver Short-Haul Exception topic.
Note: There is no definition of "short haul" or "normal work reporting location." These terms are generally understood to refer to drivers who start from and return to the same location on a daily basis.

On Friday my CSR show me this new form they have to do when s city drivers returns and turns in his bills. One of the big things is putting the pickup time on the freight bill so they know if it is an after hours pick up. I think if we don't get you freight pickup by 1630 or 1700 they will consider it after hours even though the rest of the trailer will was pickup earlier.

I was under the impression that you cannot leave your home terminal knowing that you will have to use your 16 hr extension. It is only for things that hold you up after you have left e.g. flat tire, late meet, held at FAC etc.

I was under the impression that you cannot leave your home terminal knowing that you will have to use your 16 hr extension. It is only for things that hold you up after you have left e.g. flat tire, late meet, held at FAC etc.
I'm Canadian, but all my American drivers at the fac use it once a week for any reason. The language is vague, dsr's have been scale checked with no issues.

Very, very interesting to see the different viewpoints and interpretations of this rule. It's another case where too many attorneys were involved and they muddy up the language with their long winded b.s.
Whenever there are attorneys involved, the language is always subject to interpretation.:regretful:

The regulation itself is clear. It's listening to everybody's interpretation of a black and white rule that confuses some people. That's why I don't go by what some guys "think" the rules are. If you are in doubt about anything, look it up yourself. Don't listen to other drivers, managers, supervisors, or anybody else, including me. And if you are having trouble interpreting what the rule states, ask a DOT inspector. Break room regulators aren't always right.

The regulation itself is clear. It's listening to everybody's interpretation of a black and white rule that confuses some people. That's why I don't go by what some guys "think" the rules are. If you are in doubt about anything, look it up yourself. Don't listen to other drivers, managers, supervisors, or anybody else, including me. And if you are having trouble interpreting what the rule states, ask a DOT inspector. Break room regulators aren't always right.
bt I gotten two different answer from DOT officers too

As mentioned here, cut times are now being pushed. Take off your briefs fellas, let's see how long this lasts!

For you guys that go on long runs I wonder if they will start doing the first-in first-out stuff.

I actually think management wants to run this how it's suppose to be and see if there is a trend in you guys needing to be picked up, etc..

I know you guys do what you have to do to get it done in 14 in the funny book but in the not too future you won't be able to do that and it's better to get it resolved sooner than later for everyone especially before our ole' friend Frosty comes back around.

I should also add that there are many a drivers that get their truck and dolly before touching the clock and starting their hours. You won't be able to giveaway that 30+ minutes everyday like you do now, atleast not easily. You shouldn't even be doing it now! You could be getting paid! You are to be clocked in while getting your dolly and pre-tripping.

Last edited: