SAIA | New disciplinary guidelines at Saia

Dracula

TB Veteran
Credits
Somewhere, this all makes sense to someone, who is in management. I guess that I will never be in management.

New Coaching and Progressive Discipline Policy

Specifically, this policy will be our standard, company-wide process for coaching employees and will encompass the following steps or actions:
1. Verbal Warning
2. Mandatory Retraining
3. Written Warning
4. Final Warning
5. Termination​

That's seems like a fair policy. Keep the policy in writing with you so they don't skip steps. Is there a certain amount of time that this goes back to zero or is it always there? Is this in response to the turnover their having and trying to find a way to tone that down?

For 75 years, Saia managed to operate without the discipline boot on our neck. This all started with the inward camera and having to prove that the camera system was the way to go. How do you prove the camera system is right, by increasing the number of how many write-ups, coaching sessions, terminations, someone in management can present as evidence in their management meetings. In just the last few years, It seems as if management has decided the boot is the way to more efficiency and a better safety record. Louis Saia Sr. must be turning over in his grave. Thank God for upcoming retirement.

Saia has always had this kind of reputation. I am not looking to start trouble. I have always heard Saia plays the disciplinary change game or change tons of bid game, lay people off game to get rid of a group of drivers they don't like at that time. I've heard this about Saia for years, rule by paranoia.

Saia has always had this kind of reputation. I am not looking to start trouble. I have always heard Saia plays the disciplinary change game or change tons of bid game, lay people off game to get rid of a group of drivers they don't like at that time. I've heard this about Saia for years, rule by paranoia.

Read gearrakers post again.

I’ve been watching teamsters breakdown the language in their new contracts that ups is offering them. And I’m realizing that language in any document is VERY important. I think it’s interesting that they crowbar the word, “coaching” into the title of this policy. Isn’t that what they call you sitting down with management and reviewing the videos that show them how bad of a driver you are 18 seconds at a time?

I’ve been watching teamsters breakdown the language in their new contracts that ups is offering them. And I’m realizing that language in any document is VERY important. I think it’s interesting that they crowbar the word, “coaching” into the title of this policy. Isn’t that what they call you sitting down with management and reviewing the videos that show them how bad of a driver you are 18 seconds at a time?
We have a contract and are afforded representation under law. We also dont have cameras in our trucks.

Sorry to infringe on your forum but I’ve got to ask...with the current driver shortage and with almost every company within the LTL industry currently on a hiring frenzy, why would anyone want to stay at Saia under such strict working conditions when there’s other companies out there paying more with good bennies...and no inward facing cameras??

I understand the whole starting over at the bottom sentiment but even if I was close to retirement I think I’d seriously have to consider moving on and taking my retirement with me...it would be awful difficult for me to work under those conditions!!

Kudos to you guys, y’all have a lot more patience than I do!! :1036316054:

Sorry to infringe on your forum but I’ve got to ask...with the current driver shortage and with almost every company within the LTL industry currently on a hiring frenzy, why would anyone want to stay at Saia under such strict working conditions when there’s other companies out there paying more with good bennies...and no inward facing cameras??

I understand the whole starting over at the bottom sentiment but even if I was close to retirement I think I’d seriously have to consider moving on and taking my retirement with me...it would be awful difficult for me to work under those conditions!!

Check your inbox.

It doesn't happen often, but I have to agree with you.