ABF | New Driver

BuckityBuck

TB Lurker
Credits
I’m starting soon at 089/LGA (Southern Region). I know it’s an end-of-the-line barn but I did all my interviewing at 086 during the March hiring event. I’ve been a Teamster before (General #100, Milwaukee) and part of IAM so I’m very familiar with a union shop, but looking for info as to how it works with ABF under a National master contract since I come from a terminal part of a largely non-union company. How do the operations go etc?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Best job I ever had. I like a contract. Everybody knows what to expect. You have to fight some battles, but generally it is nice to work under a CBA. Other than theft or fighting, it is hard to fire a Teamster. If you get a letter, greive it, regardless if you were wrong. When you have your hearing, if they have you dead to rights & you lose, say thank you & put it behind you. If you are right & they are wrong, fight it till you win or it goes to committee. If the boss rides you like a mule, bury them in paperwork. If they tend to leave you alone, don't complain & stay out of sight, out of mind. von.

Last edited:
Best job I ever had. I like a contract. Everybody knows what to expect. You have to fight some battles, but generally it is nice to work under a CBA. Other than theft or fighting, it is hard to fire a Teamster. If you get a letter, greive it, regardless if you were wrong. When you have your hearing, if they have you dead to rights & you lose, say thank you & put it behind you. If you are right & they are wrong, fight it till you win or it goes to committee. If the boss rides you like a mule, bury them in paperwork. If they tend to leave you alone, don't complain & stay out of sight, out of mind. von.von.
I’ve worked under contracts, but it wasn’t a master with supplements. It was one of the Union shops for QC. I had a good relationship with the management in WI and they never tried any silly crap, just kept it 100 with me at all times, in line with the contract. But, I know what happens if they have issues with you and I know many that were walked out and lost their arbitrations. I miss working for that Teamster terminal over all the jobs I ever had and hoping I can duplicate that same success here.

Thanks for the response.

I Had a manager that was the most narcissistic/lying sob you could ever meet. he would screw a customer if it meant he could screw a driver(moral was at a all time low). I filed a aggrievance against the company on a safety issue, it should have been solved at the local level. But it took two years, and had to go to the IBT safety hearing committee. We succeeded in winning the grievance that affected the whole company. I guess what I'm getting at, is as long as you have a good manager ( and supervision) you can work thing's out and have respect for each other at the end of the day, even though you may disagree. As Von said " I like a contract, every body knows what to expect" win or lose, you go on with life and make things work. I worked at ABF for 32 years and I had a lot more good times than I did bad. Good luck with your future.

You will be fine friend. Find out who the shop Steward is and introduce yourself, get to the hall & get reinstated ( hope you took a withdrawal card from previous Teamster local_ and just watch your P&Qs for 30 days. Congratulations on your new job.:1036316054:

Last edited:
I’ve worked under contracts, but it wasn’t a master with supplements. It was one of the Union shops for QC. I had a good relationship with the management in WI and they never tried any silly crap, just kept it 100 with me at all times, in line with the contract. But, I know what happens if they have issues with you and I know many that were walked out and lost their arbitrations. I miss working for that Teamster terminal over all the jobs I ever had and hoping I can duplicate that same success here.

Thanks for the response.
Your welcome. von.

But nobody will ever beat the screaming yard worker of Eau Claire who was so socially inept the terminal eventually forbade him from talking to anyone. And to this DAY **** that guy. I hope he stubs his toe really hard every morning.
This guy had to be almost laughable. Keep in mind that the purpose of some people in life,
is to make the rest of us look good,

I’m starting soon at 089/LGA (Southern Region). I know it’s an end-of-the-line barn but I did all my interviewing at 086 during the March hiring event. I’ve been a Teamster before (General #100, Milwaukee) and part of IAM so I’m very familiar with a union shop, but looking for info as to how it works with ABF under a National master contract since I come from a terminal part of a largely non-union company. How do the operations go etc?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
That terminal is called Lawrenceville. It is only a couple of years old to ABF. It used to be a YRC terminal. The union hall is being rebuilt so we meet at the IBEW beside I-75 in Atlanta on the second Saturday of the month. President of the Local is Matt. Not sure who the city business agent is but Wayne Brown is the road business agent and he may also be the city agent. I have not heard any complaints from the city drivers or dock workers when I come through 089 so you should get along well.

Any specific questions ask and I'll do my best to give specific answers. I'm a road driver at 086 for 21 years so I know a little about a few things and nothing about most things.