New Driver

Handyhammer

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm starting truck driving school next week. A three week course. I'm I going to be able to get a training job. I live in Michigan. What are the odds of getting a local training job?

What, exactly, do you mean by training job? To me a 'training job' would be one where one trains others to do a job.

I'm starting truck driving school next week. A three week course. I'm I going to be able to get a training job. I live in Michigan. What are the odds of getting a local training job?
try the local LTL companies like, ABF, Old Dominion, SAIA, Estes. they "may hire you" and you "might" work on the docks for a while, maybe moving trucks around the yard. they "may" let you drive a straight truck to see how you do.

at the very least, you got your foot in the door..

best of luck to you, by the way, IT IS how many started!!

The way things are today you should have your choice of entry level jobs but that is because the pay and conditions in the industry have diminished over the years and they can no longer find or attract experienced drivers. I suggest that you study what jobs and industries are in your area or the area you want to live in and figure out which one looks best to you. I recommend staying away from the YRC family of companies and ABF is not what it used to be either. Get a good idea of what the LTL and truckload industries are before you get into them. There are a lot of companies that have their own trucks to move their own products, soda, chemical, steel, groceries and more. I would look more towards them than I would the freight industry.

The way things are today you should have your choice of entry level jobs but that is because the pay and conditions in the industry have diminished over the years and they can no longer find or attract experienced drivers. I suggest that you study what jobs and industries are in your area or the area you want to live in and figure out which one looks best to you. I recommend staying away from the YRC family of companies and ABF is not what it used to be either. Get a good idea of what the LTL and truckload industries are before you get into them. There are a lot of companies that have their own trucks to move their own products, soda, chemical, steel, groceries and more. I would look more towards them than I would the freight industry.
i am so glad (in my own little way), due to my condition, i just don't have to worry no more about the diminishing conditions or pay in this industry.

i am so glad (in my own little way), due to my condition, i just don't have to worry no more about the diminishing conditions or pay in this industry.
That makes two of us. When I see a youngster just coming into the business (and most any other business) I give them my sympathies for what is being left for them. Most of them don't get it and one thing that I just cannot understand is how many of them don't feel like they should be able to earn a living wage for the work that we do, they're content having the pittance that they get. Little do they know that the trend is for that pittance to be less in ten years than it is today.

try the local LTL companies like, ABF, Old Dominion, SAIA, Estes. they "may hire you" and you "might" work on the docks for a while, maybe moving trucks around the yard. they "may" let you drive a straight truck to see how you do.

at the very least, you got your foot in the door..

best of luck to you, by the way, IT IS how many started!!

Saia will hire you but you will have to work on the dock 6 month and then they will send you to one of their schools. they cover your motel and pay you 40 hrs. a week while in school. I think the school last 5 or 6 weeks.

GREETINGS Handyhammer and WELCOME to TruckingBoards!!
--seems many of US forget that little compassionate gesture--

Are you self financing your Training School or through assistance??

WHAT specific "Training" are you seeking after schooling?

Dry Van
Refrigerated or Reefer
Tanker--Milk, Fuel, other.
Flatbed
Covered Wagon-- hauling Coils, other steel stuff and other stuff needing securement and cover--like those that run around Michigan with up to and beyond 42 wheels and payloads up to 150,000 pounds.
Container hauling
Lowboy--construction/oversize equipment hauling
Auto hauler
Pups, Doubles, Triples.
Piggyback--one truck pulling 2 or 3 trucks.

There are many options as just saying "What are the odds of getting a local training job" doesn't clearly define objective(s).
- - - -
This post is another "compassionate gesture".
CHEERS!!!

A regional or otr company will have more training then local if you don't mind spending nights with the trainer during the week. There are not too many local jobs where a trainer will be riding shotgun until you can do the job on your own.

WE did not offer some?
Which direction are you interested?
Without a direction of pursuit as in my other post, just "any" driving gig is not a direction--it suggests desperation.
Looking for local position in Detroit area. LTL is what I want do companies like Holland, central transport, Siai, etc. Hire student driver's I've applied for all of them.

WE did not offer some?
Which direction are you interested?
Without a direction of pursuit as in my other post, just "any" driving gig is not a direction--it suggests desperation.

We all know what they say about opinions.
I am one of the fortunate few, had a good long career, couldn't have worked for a better company, retirement, whole nine yards,
I've seen so many changes since I retired 27 yrs. ago, I would give a long, hard look before getting involved in anything in
the trucking industry.

How about trying for a car company? Doesnt Chrysler have their own truck? GM also. Think iits is ACC. Most likely a Penske company