XPO | New exception rules

ole man

TB Lurker
Credits
What are your thoughts on the new rules by XPO when dealing with exceptions? What are your customers thoughts?

In my area these are going over like a lead weight! Customers get very pissed because they don’t have time to put up with XPO’s foolishness!!

What are your thoughts on the new rules by XPO when dealing with exceptions? What are your customers thoughts?

In my area these are going over like a lead weight! Customers get very pissed because they don’t have time to put up with XPO’s foolishness!!
Exceptions? I am out of the loop. What's this?

Attention anyone iI had a customer today, after I told him I needed the id numbers for what was short,he said “how in the hell am I supposed to do that”. I don’t know who thought this was a good idea, but it’s pissing people off real quick. Not going over well with customers.

Now we have to call in all shortages and damages and account for any damaged and undamaged product by piece count. Some of these orders make that very time consuming. Also we’re supposed to document what id numbers are short. How does one do that if they don’t have a skid with a packing slip. It may be on the short skid.

I have been lucky so far only 1 damage and the customer didn't mind waiting
For us, these rules began this past Monday. It has sent some customers over the edge. My first exception was today, damage, from their reaction, we’ll lose that freight.

You poor souls! Good God....sort through 350 to find which 6 are missing? Why??? Sounds like some lazy OS & D clerks made some noise!

Lazy ? They are buried. How many days do I go a week without an exception ?

The customers I deal with are used to no one giving a ::shit::. They are actually impressed when I run out to the truck and grab my phone and call it in and give them a reference number and write it on the DR. So, the customers I have dealt with like it. In different to it actually changing anything. It makes them feel better. So, that is a win.

Is it a pain in the ass ? Yep. Has it cost me a bunch of time ? Yeah. They pay me all day. And if I can't make it somewhere, I let dispatch know. Not my job to make decisions. I just hold the wheel. If I miss a pick up or a delivery. Oh well. The give a ::shit:: days are over. I do my best to look out for my fellow drivers. And give plenty of heads up to my dispatchers. After that. It is what it is. So what ? Ain't nothing I do going to change any of it. Good or bad. I am one teeny tiny little minnow in this XPO ocean.

The customers I deal with are used to no one giving a :::shit:::. They are actually impressed when I run out to the truck and grab my phone and call it in and give them a reference number and write it on the DR. So, the customers I have dealt with like it. In different to it actually changing anything. It makes them feel better. So, that is a win.

Is it a pain in the ass ? Yep. Has it cost me a bunch of time ? Yeah. They pay me all day. And if I can't make it somewhere, I let dispatch know. Not my job to make decisions. I just hold the wheel. If I miss a pick up or a delivery. Oh well. The give a :::shit::: days are over. I do my best to look out for my fellow drivers. And give plenty of heads up to my dispatchers. After that. It is what it is. So what ? Ain't nothing I do going to change any of it. Good or bad. I am one teeny tiny little minnow in this XPO ocean.
I agree having a reference number for the customer is nice. If you can see that you have damaged freight before you leave the terminal have a csr or fos print a copy of the bill. The billing process sucks only about half of the info makes it to the dr.

The customers I deal with are used to no one giving a :::shit:::. They are actually impressed when I run out to the truck and grab my phone and call it in and give them a reference number and write it on the DR. So, the customers I have dealt with like it. In different to it actually changing anything. It makes them feel better. So, that is a win.

Is it a pain in the ass ? Yep. Has it cost me a bunch of time ? Yeah. They pay me all day. And if I can't make it somewhere, I let dispatch know. Not my job to make decisions. I just hold the wheel. If I miss a pick up or a delivery. Oh well. The give a :::shit::: days are over. I do my best to look out for my fellow drivers. And give plenty of heads up to my dispatchers. After that. It is what it is. So what ? Ain't nothing I do going to change any of it. Good or bad. I am one teeny tiny little minnow in this XPO ocean.
YES, YES,YES to all that! Exactly the way I felt when I was in the city. I let the dispatcher know as soon as I knew I was going to be held up. What else can I do?

If we have an accident or drop a trailer, we get questioned in order to find the root cause. IMO, the root cause of damaged freight comes back to how it's worked on the dock and yet. Why aren't dock workers and drivers acting as dock workers being written up for damaged freight? Why instead dump this crap on drivers. Let me tell you what this will do for me, I'll spend more time recouping my freight on the inbound, even it if just means making it look good to sneak damage past a customer.

If we have an accident or drop a trailer, we get questioned in order to find the root cause. IMO, the root cause of damaged freight comes back to how it's worked on the dock and yet. Why aren't dock workers and drivers acting as dock workers being written up for damaged freight? Why instead dump this crap on drivers. Let me tell you what this will do for me, I'll spend more time recouping my freight on the inbound, even it if just means making it look good to sneak damage past a customer.
If any "common sense" measures were put in place to stop damages then that would be a problem...for management.

If you go to the root of the issue ( which management does not want to do ) the finger points to the top.

A "hog" award for getting the most freight on a trailer? How about an award for lowest damages?

Trainersthat don't know what they are doing OR they are just trying to avoid working? How about you get the best drivers and dockworkers to train AND have high expectations?

And, finally , the failure to fix KNOWN problem makers/issues. At some point management becomes aware of sorryass drivers or dockworkers or FOSs or whoever ( you get the point ) it becomes managements fault , not the sorryasses fault when nothing is done about the bad behavior. There are thousands of sorryasses spread throughout the company ( it used to be tolerable because you knew they would get weeded out ) but now only "results matter" - translation = money matters.

Well that will cost you time and a reputation at some point. I have always tried to be very honest with the customers and point out anything that doesn't look right with the freight. This way if they are tied up and it is something that I can unload and go If I tell them it looks good than they can depend on my word.

If any "common sense" measures were put in place to stop damages then that would be a problem...for management.

If you go to the root of the issue ( which management does not want to do ) the finger points to the top.

A "hog" award for getting the most freight on a trailer? How about an award for lowest damages?

Trainersthat don't know what they are doing OR they are just trying to avoid working? How about you get the best drivers and dockworkers to train AND have high expectations?

And, finally , the failure to fix KNOWN problem makers/issues. At some point management becomes aware of sorryass drivers or dockworkers or FOSs or whoever ( you get the point ) it becomes managements fault , not the sorryasses fault when nothing is done about the bad behavior. There are thousands of sorryasses spread throughout the company ( it used to be tolerable because you knew they would get weeded out ) but now only "results matter" - translation = money matters.

So much turnover in management since the purchase by XPO too. Makes you wonder who is being held accountable and for what. We have had FOSs quit to go work at Central Transport. And they brag about how much better it is over there. The race to the bottom continues.

We have some really good dock hands. And some really bad ones. They won't get rid of the bad ones. Will not do it. And most of these guys don't need training. They have worked elsewhere, doing the same job.

Well that will cost you time and a reputation at some point. I have always tried to be very honest with the customers and point out anything that doesn't look right with the freight. This way if they are tied up and it is something that I can unload and go If I tell them it looks good than they can depend on my word.

Yep, I would much rather point it out than try to hide it and then the next time in that stop they are pissed at me for not saying something.