XPO | New exception rules

If we have an accident or drop a trailer, we get questioned in order to find the root cause. IMO, the root cause of damaged freight comes back to how it's worked on the dock and yet. Why aren't dock workers and drivers acting as dock workers being written up for damaged freight? Why instead dump this crap on drivers. Let me tell you what this will do for me, I'll spend more time recouping my freight on the inbound, even it if just means making it look good to sneak damage past a customer.
When I was city I would point out damage or if something need to be looked at. It made it so they would say oh it fine without really looking at it. Also I got paid if I sat waiting at a customers or out making deliveries. It FOS had an issue tough, we have a reputation of screwing shipments so receivers have to cover their asses and have things look at to make sure it’s good

When I ran city, I had this one customer that pallets of bags of breading and other stuff for fried fish. There was almost always ripped bags,so I got to the point that I was thinking I only needed to call in if it was not damaged. Because at my barn wanted us to call in to verify it was makes as damaged at loading of city run

Lazy ? They are buried. How many days do I go a week without an exception ?

The customers I deal with are used to no one giving a :::shit:::. They are actually impressed when I run out to the truck and grab my phone and call it in and give them a reference number and write it on the DR. So, the customers I have dealt with like it. In different to it actually changing anything. It makes them feel better. So, that is a win.

Is it a pain in the ass ? Yep. Has it cost me a bunch of time ? Yeah. They pay me all day. And if I can't make it somewhere, I let dispatch know. Not my job to make decisions. I just hold the wheel. If I miss a pick up or a delivery. Oh well. The give a :::shit::: days are over. I do my best to look out for my fellow drivers. And give plenty of heads up to my dispatchers. After that. It is what it is. So what ? Ain't nothing I do going to change any of it. Good or bad. I am one teeny tiny little minnow in this XPO ocean.
Yeah right, like you gave a crap before the new owners. Do you give a crap about the nearby driver who has to cover your stops when you pretend to do you best? Why are still here? I mean your attitude sucks. OD is paying nearly $5.00/hr more than here, what's keeping you around? OD don't want you? For some guys to get it, it seems you have to draw a picture or draw a map or something. It's probably time for you to go, maybe CF will take you since obviously, OD won't.

Last edited:
Yeah right, like you gave a crap before the new owners. Do you give a crap about the nearby driver who has to cover your stops when you pretend to do you best? Why are still here? I mean your attitude sucks. OD is paying nearly $5.00/hr more than here, what's keeping you around? OD don't want you? For some guys to get it, it seems you have to draw a picture or draw a map or something. It's probably time for you to go, maybe CF will take you since obviously, OD won't.

Nice. Cute post. A bit thin skinned this afternoon ? It's okay. We all have bad days.

I used to try a lot harder and rush around thinking it would make a difference. That is no longer the case. I do not give my best. Not even close. We have a bunch of different clicks just like high school. I got peoples numbers. They have mine. If someone needs a hand. Whoever is close will help them out. And I have had people call me. Knowing they were nearby and heading in with room for a couple skids call and ask if they could grab something quick to help me out. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Everyone's attitude sucks. Ain't just me.

I know a lot of guys working at OD now. It's a good job. But as I have said over and over on this forum. I think this will be my last trucking job. I'll probably get a warehouse job here in town. Less driving ( commuting ). Fewer hours. Smaller paychecks. But that's okay. The wife works and we got no debt other than the mortgage. And it's a very manageable number. Don't worry about me, I got my plans. Just like the rest of us.

Nice. Cute post. A bit thin skinned this afternoon ? It's okay. We all have bad days.

I used to try a lot harder and rush around thinking it would make a difference. That is no longer the case. I do not give my best. Not even close. We have a bunch of different clicks just like high school. I got peoples numbers. They have mine. If someone needs a hand. Whoever is close will help them out. And I have had people call me. Knowing they were nearby and heading in with room for a couple skids call and ask if they could grab something quick to help me out. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

I know a lot of guys working at OD now. It's a good job. But as I have said over and over on this forum. I think this will be my last trucking job. I'll probably get a warehouse job here in town. Less driving ( commuting ). Fewer hours. Smaller paychecks. But that's okay. The wife works and we got no debt other than the mortgage. And it's a very manageable number. Don't worry about me, I got my plans. Just like the rest of us.
Yeah, I was having pissy day.

What is this "city" operation you all are talking about? I've been running night time line Haul so long I didn't know there was anything else. All these headaches you all are talking about are foreign to me. I just make money zipping up and down the road. I don't need any stinkin' exceptions. Woohoo!

If we have an accident or drop a trailer, we get questioned in order to find the root cause. IMO, the root cause of damaged freight comes back to how it's worked on the dock and yet. Why aren't dock workers and drivers acting as dock workers being written up for damaged freight? Why instead dump this crap on drivers. Let me tell you what this will do for me, I'll spend more time recouping my freight on the inbound, even it if just means making it look good to sneak damage past a customer.

I’m kind of surprised you would admit to hiding damage... integrity?? We don’t need no stinkin integrity!!

I’m in the same boat that you are, HS...pretty much done with driving. I, too, am considering a warehouse job. Just seems like the thing to do at this point in life. My wife works as well (same job for 30+ years and LOVES it), so no worries on the financial horizon. We live frugally, as save as much as possible, and have minimal debt. I’m eligible for my Pension now (25-year Teamster), and the wife can retire in December if she wants. PM me sometime!

I’m in the same boat that you are, HS...pretty much done with driving. I, too, am considering a warehouse job. Just seems like the thing to do at this point in life. My wife works as well (same job for 30+ years and LOVES it), so no worries on the financial horizon. We live frugally, as save as much as possible, and have minimal debt. I’m eligible for my Pension now (25-year Teamster), and the wife can retire in December if she wants. PM me sometime!
Sad, their pushing the good people out so this job will continue to downgrade.

I’m kind of surprised you would admit to hiding damage... integrity?? We don’t need no stinkin integrity!!
Isn't it great being able to keep one's indentity concealed? I can say nearly anything I want with impunity. Anyway, spare me the sanctimony. Integrity is an abstraction around this place. Sometime when you're at a stop, ask one of your shipping managers about XPO's claims process and payouts. Btw. do you work at XPO?

Totally agree, sucker666!! It would be arrogant of us to think that we, as members of this ‘current generation’ of LTL drivers, are the best ever...but perhaps the ‘best of the last’ because we’re not seeing any young people coming in behind us. Not many want to do this type of work anymore. That’s sad, because just about everything we buy comes to us in some way...on a truck!

The physical toll this job has taken on me has woke me up BIG TIME on just how precious life really is! And I won’t even touch on the mental aspects of this line of work. I’m at the ‘re-evaluation stage’ at this point in life, and am anticipating a career change very soon. Peace to you, brother!

Totally agree, sucker666!! It would be arrogant of us to think that we, as members of this ‘current generation’ of LTL drivers, are the best ever...but perhaps the ‘best of the last’ because we’re not seeing any young people coming in behind us. Not many want to do this type of work anymore. That’s sad, because just about everything we buy comes to us in some way...on a truck!

The physical toll this job has taken on me has woke me up BIG TIME on just how precious life really is! And I won’t even touch on the mental aspects of this line of work. I’m at the ‘re-evaluation stage’ at this point in life, and am anticipating a career change very soon. Peace to you, brother!
Because the risk, licensing requirements and working conditions this job should remain better than average middle class compensation or the quality of the new hires will diminish. A company can say it offers health care , retirement and other perks but there is a wide spectrum to the actual degree of just how good those benefits are, another words you have to offer decent stuff to get to get and maintain a good workforce. Walmart says it offer good pay and benefits but we all know that’s not true.
It’s only last for so long and employees (as we are seeing currently) start to see through the bullshit and realize what their really getting.
Oh by the way I see Brad made Forbes billionaires list this year. Good for him , but he about a little for the peasants.

I apologize for being off topic here. As far as the exceptions I follow whatever the companies policy is to the tee. If it takes longer or upsets the customers that’s a worry for the pay grade above me to handle. If it cuts down on claims filed then it’s good.

Last edited:
Isn't it great being able to keep one's indentity concealed? I can say nearly anything I want with impunity. Anyway, spare me the sanctimony. Integrity is an abstraction around this place. Sometime when you're at a stop, ask one of your shipping managers about XPO's claims process and payouts. Btw. do you work at XPO?

Nope, but I did, but I had the common sense to leave before this idiocy got out of control. What does that matter anyway? Basic human integrity goes beyond where you work. And it appears you come up lacking in that regard.

We look like we are going to be losing quite a few guys. These other jobs are offering better work environments AND more money. So much chatter right now. A lot of junior guys talking ::shit:: like, yeah.... Imma leave now so that later when you finally figure it out, you are below me over there.

Hard to tell if it's just talk or not. Been a couple weeks. We are over due for a handful of departures.