New gadget lets police detect when you're texting while driving

Dockworker

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
I'd say 75% of cars that pass me at night, have a cell phone glowing inside..it's gotten way out of hand.

we can thank the lobbyists for the various phone/communications companies for that.

it (most likely) all started when cell phones were coming into the 'must have" devices of the 20th century.

politicians must have taken "payola" in droves.

lawmakers have been writing bills that limit the use or forbidden the use of devices while driving, yet like you, i see so many texting, talking, or maybe even playing games, it's more than just out of hand.

and let's NOT forget, those morons that have DVD players mounted on the dash, cruising down the highways, more involved in the movie, than the road..........

it will never end, or stop.

we biotch about the cops for one reason or another, on a near daily basis......and as always....there is never around when you need one.... isn't that ironic...??

oh and by the way, a small police dept in my state, has gotten a new toy as well...

it is a laser gun, that will 'catch you' , and take your picture as well, (of your license plate)...

the next "ding dong" someone hears at the front door, will certainly NOT BE the Avon Lady....

but a ticket, VIA USPS.........

Tiverton Police Department getting acquainted with new laser speed gun - News - The Herald News, Fall River, MA - Fall River, MA

I wonder if it can tell the difference between hands free texting and regular texting. My phone and headset will read a text to me and I can respond without touching my phone. Perfectly legal.

I wonder if it can tell the difference between hands free texting and regular texting. My phone and headset will read a text to me and I can respond without touching my phone. Perfectly legal.

Great question. I would like to see how they will differentiate this.

we can thank the lobbyists for the various phone/communications companies for that.

it (most likely) all started when cell phones were coming into the 'must have" devices of the 20th century.

politicians must have taken "payola" in droves.

lawmakers have been writing bills that limit the use or forbidden the use of devices while driving, yet like you, i see so many texting, talking, or maybe even playing games, it's more than just out of hand.

and let's NOT forget, those morons that have DVD players mounted on the dash, cruising down the highways, more involved in the movie, than the road..........

it will never end, or stop.

we biotch about the cops for one reason or another, on a near daily basis......and as always....there is never around when you need one.... isn't that ironic...??

oh and by the way, a small police dept in my state, has gotten a new toy as well...

it is a laser gun, that will 'catch you' , and take your picture as well, (of your license plate)...

the next "ding dong" someone hears at the front door, will certainly NOT BE the Avon Lady....

but a ticket, VIA USPS.........

Tiverton Police Department getting acquainted with new laser speed gun - News - The Herald News, Fall River, MA - Fall River, MA
The dvd player in my vehicle will not play a movie in the front seats while in gear. Only the rear monitor will work.

Big Brother will be watching more of our moves. It had to happen because people just cannot stop.
I wouldn't be surprised if our cars have some sort of device that monitors our driving habits from normal to redline driving.
I know insurance companies give you discounts if you install a similar device and can pass on a consistent basis.

New gadget lets police detect when you're texting while driving

A Radar Gun that Catches Driver Texting Is in Development [Updated]

About time.

Distracted driving

Thanks for that informative post! I see many people who drive their car while talking to somebody on the phone. This is very dangerous in a way that it distracts the mind and increases the chances of getting a severe road accident. Furthermore, the Department of Transportation, among other bodies and the general public as a whole, is concerned about texting while driving. Most states have texting while driving regulations which stop it, but the DOT has thrown $550,000 toward researching whether such regulations have an impact.

Are headsets legal? Really, I just don't know, devices aren't my thing. All I know is I do a lot of cycling and a few years ago I gave up road cycling and just stick to off road mountain biking now because riding on the side of the road is just too dangerous now.

I am normally opposed to any government intrusion to privacy but with all the deaths/accidents caused by inattentive driving something is needed to stop the carnage. If a disease caused as much injury & death it would be termed an epidemic. Just last week I was talking to a woman who had been hit hard by a car that ran a red light. The girl driving that car was texting & never slowed down. She was annoyed that the woman got in her way & didn't apologize. She said she was going to be late for a shopping trip with her friend. The woman had a broken arm & a head injury that required hospitalization for several days.

I am normally opposed to any government intrusion to privacy but with all the deaths/accidents caused by inattentive driving something is needed to stop the carnage. If a disease caused as much injury & death it would be termed an epidemic. Just last week I was talking to a woman who had been hit hard by a car that ran a red light. The girl driving that car was texting & never slowed down. She was annoyed that the woman got in her way & didn't apologize. She said she was going to be late for a shopping trip with her friend. The woman had a broken arm & a head injury that required hospitalization for several days.

Late for a shopping trip? She wasn't arrested? It should be treated just like drunk driving.

It should be treated just like drunk driving.
First there have to laws against it, which have yet to come in many places. Statistics show that texting while driving is about as hazardous as drunk driving. I don't know what they're waiting for.

Late for a shopping trip? She wasn't arrested? It should be treated just like drunk driving.

I have read articles on studies about texting/impaired driving. One study concluded that testing was much worse than driving at or slightly above the legal blood/alcohol limit.

First there have to laws against it, which have yet to come in many places. Statistics show that texting while driving is about as hazardous as drunk driving. I don't know what they're waiting for.
The "acceptable loss" limit to be reached or surpassed, much in the same light as when Traffic Signals are installed at Intersections AFTER a (specified) number of Deaths and serious injuries have accumulated.
Fatigued driving has, for decades, been recognized as similar to drunk driving, so if someone is tired AND texting......oh how wonderful.

I was on I-30 e.b. in Arkansas last week and just past I-70 exit was a 4 wheeler weaving about in the hammer lane. I passed and clearly saw driver texting, so I blew air horn, no change. Genius stayed in hammer lane for the next 10 miles, weaving and slowing traffic. Wonderful people, too bad running obvious dangerous drivers off roads is illegal.
There are MANY truck drivers that text while driving in, I guess, their LARGE CARS.
--not meant to be humorous--

Last edited: