New GPS

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So today I bought my self an actual truck GPS I bought it used from a truck driver here in time, who used to pull tanker for Schneider.
It's only 3 months old a Rand-McNally truck GPS. They send me to areas in the truck that I don't know very well at work and I don't like reading the map and driving at the same time and sometimes well I'm pretty sure most people have all been there where you interpret the map wrong or the streets don't line up like the map says and you make a wrong turn. I've done it.

Actually what's really nice is Rand-McNally has these really nice colored maps and I have one and they are well gridded I should run to the truck stop and get one for Summit, Stark and Portage County as well.

Any how I'll see how I like the truck GPS and let you guys know what I think of it.

In addition to getting a truck GPS I got to drive my moms new Cadillac CTS and she has satellite radio in it and I got to listen to Serrious/XM station number 36 which is alt nation and it was pretty cool, I was digging the satellite radio very much really like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
XM Channel 37-Octane.

I have run a Rand McNally truck GPS before. They are nice for a reference, but don't trust them to always steer you right. I've had them route me down roads that trucks were not allowed on and try to send me under bridges that were too low.

Guardrail

Like my Garmin 760,
But like Guardrail said.
Use them for reference, Still carry a map. And use the phone to get better info if needed

If I had it I'd listen to channel 100 I think.

Today I got to use my new truck GPS, so far so good, I got to all my stops without any trouble. It's got a lot of features on it, like a DOT clock that it stops and starts and it talks and everything. It's a useful tool, I'm glad I have it.

I'm way too cheap to buy a real trucker's GPS. I remember my old Garmin, the one that broke, I would have to make a delivery to a school on a restricted street, and it would try to reroute me from the four lane restricted street down these crazy one way residential streets with cars parked on both sides, even if only for a block or two. Fortunately, in our town, there are only a few stretches where the cops will really go after you (speaking as a local driver), and I know most of them. I hear if you show the judge there is a school on that street that we do deliver to, he'll usually throw the ticket out. And it's easy to remember where the low clearance overpasses are. Taking down a cable or phone line is always fun though... "Excuse me mam, may I borrow your telephone? It's not working?"

I'm way too cheap to buy a real trucker's GPS. I remember my old Garmin, the one that broke, I would have to make a delivery to a school on a restricted street, and it would try to reroute me from the four lane restricted street down these crazy one way residential streets with cars parked on both sides, even if only for a block or two. Fortunately, in our town, there are only a few stretches where the cops will really go after you (speaking as a local driver), and I know most of them. I hear if you show the judge there is a school on that street that we do deliver to, he'll usually throw the ticket out. And it's easy to remember where the low clearance overpasses are. Taking down a cable or phone line is always fun though... "Excuse me mam, may I borrow your telephone? It's not working?"

My dad did that once, he had a delivery at a hardware store and there intercom line was hung to low and when he pulled out of the loading dock he took it down. He looked and said "Oh well" and kept on trucking. I bought my Trucker GPS used ha-ha I didn't pay retail ha-ha!

My dad did that once, he had a delivery at a hardware store and there intercom line was hung to low and when he pulled out of the loading dock he took it down. He looked and said "Oh well" and kept on trucking. I bought my Trucker GPS used ha-ha I didn't pay retail ha-ha!

If you dad did it once, he probably did it a thousand times, but just admitted to doing it once. From what I was told when hired at Sysco, all lines to the building are supposed to be 14'6" from the ground, that is "code". So it wasn't your dad's fault anyway, and it's never my fault, never ever.

Did you get lifetime maps? Ha Ha, if the previous owner registered the GPS you are out of luck and will have to pay for each update. (at least that was my experience). Wow, I didn't know the price on those things had dropped so much.