ABF | New Hire Advice

Dieselgeek

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi guys.

I've been reading for a few weeks now, and thought I'd ask the veterans for ABF advice. I have interviewed for a casual/dock/p&d worker, and ABF is undergoing background checks currently... I've also been offered a local job hauling fuel. I'm torn as to which one to pick. I don't like the uncertainty of the contract negotiations ongoing currently, and not sure what to do. Hauling fuel will be stable, no lay-offs, 4 or 5 day schedule. No calling in, etc. The pay isn't as good, and no OT. But I will have daily work. I am wondering roughly how many years of being on call does the average Casual/dockworker need to endure before being on the board? Once on the board, what is the average hours worked per week, and the schedule I could expect? I have no issues working weekends/nights, and understand that will need to put in my time before getting a decent shift. I know their may be some bias... But in my shoes, what would you guys do?

You have asked some good questions here and obviously you are putting good consideration into what you are going to do. That being said none of us can make that decision for you and the answers to all of those questions vary from location to location. When I started way back when I missed virtually no time, worked gobs of OT, which compensated for the reduced new hire rate. Others hired later at this same location were not so lucky and had to work at surrounding terminals for several years before they were able to get all of their hours in at home base. At least ABF does let you work at a neighboring terminal when your base terminal is not working you. There are just too many variables for you or us to ever nail it down. The unpredicted loss or gain of one large customer can change your tide in a heartbeat. I expect a contract but ABF could downsize afterwards. There is room for terminal consolidation as they did not do too much when the :fan: a few years ago when they thought that YRC would be out by now and that would change things for you.

Some things that could help you make your decision would be your age. If you are younger the long term perspective would be better than if you are getting older. There are very few who came here that it didn't pan out for in the long run.

I know it's not a lot of help but it's the best I can do.

There you go again, passing your opinions off as facts. So why aren't you at Wal-mart already then?

Funny thing. I turned down a possible job with Walmart private fleet to gamble with ABF a few months ago.

Boy did I screw up! I put too much faith in the union.

The timing is probably the biggest issue for me right now... Not knowing the state of ABF/Contract until April may have me hauling fuel... I am 31 btw...

The timing is probably the biggest issue for me right now... Not knowing the state of ABF/Contract until April may have me hauling fuel... I am 31 btw...

Ya wait till a new contract gets signed. Go tank yanking till then.

Lets just hope a contract gets signed.

But ABF is a great job.

Ya wait till a new contract gets signed. Go tank yanking till then.

Lets just hope a contract gets signed.

But ABF is a great job.

Not sure either job will let me just ride it out until April... Not to mention with ABF, if I could hire a day earlier than the next guy, that is one spot higher on the board for me... Decisions! I've had a drug test, DOT physical, and job-related weight/physical for the fuel job already...

It is not an easy decision for you no doubt and it is a crap shoot and you won't know whether you have done the right thing for a while, maybe a long while. It could be two years or more until you say, "I'm glad I did not take that job". Best you can do is go with what you think is best and don't look back.

If you pay close attention you'll find that no participants on this board will waste their time with Stoney.

If you pay close attention you'll find that no participants on this board will waste their time with Stoney.

Lol! The lies just spew out of you.

I know your Marxist buddy Canary has. Only because he's another one I was able to shut up.

Not sure either job will let me just ride it out until April... Not to mention with ABF, if I could hire a day earlier than the next guy, that is one spot higher on the board for me... Decisions! I've had a drug test, DOT physical, and job-related weight/physical for the fuel job already...

When did have your interview, and have you been approved with ABF yet, to get approval takes some time. If it was me I may take the tanker job, and by the time ABF calls you will know whether you like pulling tanks, and possible by then the contract will already be signed. that is when the real decision would come. Another question are you working now? Like ABFer said, ONLY YOU KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU, AND ONLY YOU CAN MAKE THE DECISION.

When did have your interview, and have you been approved with ABF yet, to get approval takes some time. If it was me I may take the tanker job, and by the time ABF calls you will know whether you like pulling tanks, and possible by then the contract will already be signed. that is when the real decision would come. Another question are you working now? Like ABFer said, ONLY YOU KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU, AND ONLY YOU CAN MAKE THE DECISION.

Interviewed for both jobs within a day of each other. Jan 16,17. I know ABF contacted a previous employer, so the background check is ongoing currently. Waiting for the same with the fuel job as well. I don't think I can go wrong with either, hard to look past the pay and benefits of ABF, but it isn't certain either I guess. Again, I like the idea of a set schedule hauling fuel. One of my biggest worries with ABF is working 10-15 years, and the pension disappears. I am currently working, so I'm not in a hurry to change jobs, but I don't want to let the fuel job pass if ABF's contract takes a downhill turn!

Are you trying to get on at a larger terminal? I mean about a 20 or above seniority list? Might be worth your while....but, as Brother ABF'er said,...there's no guarantees. Our supplement in Western Penna. says if you work 180 days....irregardless of how long it takes...a year...or 6 months.....or two years...you go on the seniority list. But that's no guarantee of full time work. Not sure about other supplements, but we added that to prevent ongoing abuses of people trying to get hired. Conversely,...if management decides they need you badly, they can bypass most of the contractual language and put you on as a new-hire immediately. I can say this, though...and I think Brother ABFer will concur......this is a pretty good job,...actually it's the best job I ever had....ABF doesn't hire children.....so they back your judgement and decisions on the street like no other company I've ever worked for.....no arguments, if you had a reason for what you did. And....don't mind Stoney....he's the poster-child for the reason the Union is no where near as strong as it used to be. You'll meet very, very few of that type here.