ABF | New hire info.

I left YRC after 13 years for ABF june 2017 and worked till probation period was over then laid off 11 months then called back to work july 2018 six weeks later worked 5 days for 3 of the 6 weeks and talking about layoff in september. I'm at home this week after working 1 day and saying maybe friday so Im looking for a FULL TIME JOB ! Had one guy retire back in June and Terminal manager says hold out till april and another man will retire. Are you -ucking kidding me, should of throat punched her dumb -ss . I dont know if your terminal is busy but be careful because they dont care if you go broke. I know you have to pay yor dues but when you only work maybe 4 months out of 15 months that SUCKS !
What terminal number do you work at???

So why don't you quit? I'm sure a super smart person like you will do much better at another company. One that appreciates how smart you are.
Listen suckass I’ve been here 11 years, 26 total in the union! It’s people like me & others here that try to keep people like yourself from making bad decisions come contact time, obviously it didn’t work this contract, but maybe next one? So don’t tell me to move on because you don’t like what I’m saying....

Listen suckass I’ve been here 11 years, 26 total in the union! It’s people like me & others here that try to keep people like yourself from making bad decisions come contact time, obviously it didn’t work this contract, but maybe next one? So don’t tell me to move on because you don’t like what I’m saying....
I'm not telling you to move on because of what you are saying but because you don't want to work here. And because you don't want to work here you hate those of us who do want to work here. You consider us "dumb truck drivers" and yourself superior to us. We don't want to be mothered nor did we ask for your counsil. Working at ABF is a waist of your time!!! So moving on to a place that appreciates your skill and intelligence would benefit all parties involved. Please don't wait; leave as soon as possible.

I'm not telling you to move on because of what you are saying but because you don't want to work here. And because you don't want to work here you hate those of who do want to work here. You consider us "dumb truck drivers" and yourself superior to us. We don't want to be mothered nor did we ask for your counsil. Working at ABF is a waist of your time!!! So moving on to a place that appreciates your skill and intelligence would benefit all parties involved. Please don't wait; leave as soon as possible.
Like I said before, your nothing more than a company suckass! I will keep my skill here until something better comes my way.... you will not be the one who decides that....

Like I said before, your nothing more than a company suckass! I will keep my skill here until something better comes my way.... you will not be the one who decides that....
So this contract is not so bad or there would be so many better jobs that you could pick and choose from all those better jobs. So we, the yes voters, are not the "dumb truck drivers" you claimed we were. This might be why nothing better is coming your way.

So why did you vote yes on the last contract? The contract that cost us -7% in wages, that cost us one week of vacation each year for five years, that cost us most of our benifital work rules? You thought that was a good contract? Or, if you voted no, take the hint; two contracts in a row (10yrs) and no one is listening to you. What makes you think "dumb truck drivers" will start listening to you next contract? Think how much better you could do at another company. They will probably not be "dumb truck drivers." You can show them how smart you are. There is no downside for you if you change jobs. There is only positive opportunity waiting for you. The grass is lush and green and the money is flowing freely at your next work place.

So this contract is not so bad or there would be so many better jobs that you could pick and choose from all those better jobs. So we, the yes voters, are not the "dumb truck drivers" you claimed we were. This might be why nothing better is coming your way.
The job i applied for is not in freight, although my cdl may be needed.

So why did you vote yes on the last contract? The contract that cost us -7% in wages, that cost us one week of vacation each year for five years, that cost us most of our benifital work rules? You thought that was a good contract? Or, if you voted no, take the hint; two contracts in a row (10yrs) and no one is listening to you. What makes you think "dumb truck drivers" will start listening to you next contract? Think how much better you could do at another company. They will probably not be "dumb truck drivers." You can show them how smart you are. There is no downside for you if you change jobs. There is only positive opportunity waiting for you. The grass is lush and green and the money is flowing freely at your next work place.
Voted no both contract's, your welcome. Sorry if it hit a nerve with the "dumb truck driver comment" (if the shoe fits) But as I can see & have seen in your past response's your a company kiss ass, so stop using those same "dumb" comeback's over & over....

The.....older guys,...who've been in trucking longer than the younger guys,...specifically the ones who were "pre-deregulation" drivers,.....more specifically,...the ones who've been doing freight for 20-plus years......

Were trying to tell the younger, less experienced-with-freight guys that they could do much better this contract,....and, yes,....last contract,....because of the trends they had observed over the....decades,......

And,.....the amount of company propaganda and pressure applied during contract times,........especially on the younger,...less LTL-experienced guys......

It gets frustrating when it was plain as day that the company,...(...maybe with collusion of the negotiating team...).....was targeting the fears of the younger guys,.....and that it was working.......

Record driver shortages ,......and non-Union carriers trying to "hoover up" every available driver by paying them more than the Union carriers...(...for now,....No guarantee they won't cut pay in the future....No contract, you know..)......didn't convince the ....younger guys,.....that we finally had the employers by the "short and curlies",........and could rectify the negotiating "errors" of the past.....

Many of the younger guys were worried about their families and the future of the company,........Rightly so........

And,....the company deliberately,...and with malice aforethought,.......played on those fears.....

That's not negotiating in Good Faith,........That's using skewed propaganda ...to achieve a skewed result....

Kind of like releasing the rumor that another carrier is going to buy ABF,....right in the middle of contract talks.
And,....of course,...right after the contract is ratified,....there's NO talk at all of a ...buyout.......

The older guys have watched ABF/ArcBest try to get out from their pension obligations from way back in the late '90's , with Mr. Davison's "BegBack"...........and the company coyness about turning our pension plans into 401(k)'s....
They didn't want to tell us....right away. They just said they had a...."better deal" for us....Yeah, Right......

Now,...they have a ......younger....group of employees to work with.......Ones that haven't had their noses rubbed in company duplicity......yet.......

The.....older guys,...who've been in trucking longer than the younger guys,...specifically the ones who were "pre-deregulation" drivers,.....more specifically,...the ones who've been doing freight for 20-plus years......

Were trying to tell the younger, less experienced-with-freight guys that they could do much better this contract,....and, yes,....last contract,....because of the trends they had observed over the....decades,......

And,.....the amount of company propaganda and pressure applied during contract times,........especially on the younger,...less LTL-experienced guys......

It gets frustrating when it was plain as day that the company,...(...maybe with collusion of the negotiating team...).....was targeting the fears of the younger guys,.....and that it was working.......

Record driver shortages ,......and non-Union carriers trying to "hoover up" every available driver by paying them more than the Union carriers...(...for now,....No guarantee they won't cut pay in the future....No contract, you know..)......didn't convince the ....younger guys,.....that we finally had the employers by the "short and curlies",........and could rectify the negotiating "errors" of the past.....

Many of the younger guys were worried about their families and the future of the company,........Rightly so........

And,....the company deliberately,...and with malice aforethought,.......played on those fears.....

That's not negotiating in Good Faith,........That's using skewed propaganda ...to achieve a skewed result....

Kind of like releasing the rumor that another carrier is going to buy ABF,....right in the middle of contract talks.
And,....of course,...right after the contract is ratified,....there's NO talk at all of a ...buyout.......

The older guys have watched ABF/ArcBest try to get out from their pension obligations from way back in the late '90's , with Mr. Davison's "BegBack"...........and the company coyness about turning our pension plans into 401(k)'s....
They didn't want to tell us....right away. They just said they had a...."better deal" for us....Yeah, Right......

Now,...they have a ......younger....group of employees to work with.......Ones that haven't had their noses rubbed in company duplicity......yet.......
Your right Canary, then you have the people like Homesick who are more than willing to give away the key’s to the bank with the companies first proposal then come off with asinine statement like “if you don’t like it leave” or “the grass is greener on the other side”. I will leave on my condition’s If I choose to, or they shut the doors because our sister companies are doing our jobs we once did because we let the company do whatever they wanted to....

Voted no both contract's, your welcome. Sorry if it hit a nerve with the "dumb truck driver comment" (if the shoe fits) But as I can see & have seen in your past response's your a company kiss ass, so stop using those same "dumb" comeback's over & over....
Go40, you think your smarter than other employees and post comments like “And that’s where the word “dumb truck driver”came from....” and “Listen suckass I’ve been here 11 years, 26 total in the union!” but you have no education, limited life experience, and have only been with ABF 11yrs. You couldn't read or explain a profit and loss statement, an income statement, or a 10k or 8k statement. I bet you couldn't even explain how depreciation affects the financial statement. Worse than that, you can't explain how the DuPont model (or any of the other models financial institutions use) is used to compare companies. Yet you are quick to put other people down!!!! Quick to give your super bad advice! And worse than that, you pout because no one takes your advice. The contract is ratified!!!! It is not going to change. We voted and it is over. Yet you still complain! Small children do that. They are told “no” and they pout, they complain, they cry, they call people names. How hard is it for you to move on, go forward, let it drop? Take your thumb out of your mouth, wipe your nose, and put your big girl panties on; the contract is here and it is here to stay!

Go40, you think your smarter than other employees and post comments like “And that’s where the word “dumb truck driver”came from....” and “Listen suckass I’ve been here 11 years, 26 total in the union!” but you have no education, limited life experience, and have only been with ABF 11yrs. You couldn't read or explain a profit and loss statement, an income statement, or a 10k or 8k statement. I bet you couldn't even explain how depreciation affects the financial statement. Worse than that, you can't explain how the DuPont model (or any of the other models financial institutions use) is used to compare companies. Yet you are quick to put other people down!!!! Quick to give your super bad advice! And worse than that, you pout because no one takes your advice. The contract is ratified!!!! It is not going to change. We voted and it is over. Yet you still complain! Small children do that. They are told “no” and they pout, they complain, they cry, they call people names. How hard is it for you to move on, go forward, let it drop? Take your thumb out of your mouth, wipe your nose, and put your big girl panties on; the contract is here and it is here to stay!
Laughable at best kid....

Interesting how you put that. You used the word “decades” (a period of ten years) only plural (more than one) while trying to explain how older employees can help younger employees. You talk about pre-deregulation and doing freight 20 plus years. What you seem to be leaving out is that things change; that de-regulation happened on your watch. You older experienced employees had it really good before de-regulation and you gave it away. You didn't stop it! Your cohort got us in this situation. Have a great Labor Day because I will be working it (I wonder how that happened? Was this normal two decades ago?).

Instead of reading all these charts & models you speak of, maybe you could have put that higher education to good use and actually read the contract proposal? Stop making an ass out of yourself with your ridiculous statement’s....Mr. truck driver?

Instead of reading all these charts & models you speak of, maybe you could have put that higher education to good use and actually read the contract proposal? Stop making an ass out of yourself with your ridiculous statement’s....Mr. truck driver?
Why would I read the contract proposal when I have a copy of the signed contract? The proposal was ratified and we have an actual contract. That is a large part of the problem: you don't understand there is no proposal.

Why would I read the contract proposal when I have a copy of the signed contract? The proposal was ratified and we have an actual contract. That is a large part of the problem: you don't understand there is no proposal.
Point proven troll....

Brother Canary,..I have 8 months to go and still voted NO! as I said before, in honor of those before me...the younger guys can take their chances! This is not really "my contract"..only have to live with it for a short while. I will retire 1 month after the next anniversary date to collect due vacation. The younger guys probably could not figure that logic out...too busy listening to the company.

Brother Canary,..I have 8 months to go and still voted NO! as I said before, in honor of those before me...the younger guys can take their chances! This is not really "my contract"..only have to live with it for a short while. I will retire 1 month after the next anniversary date to collect due vacation. The younger guys probably could not figure that logic out...too busy listening to the company.

The contractual changes to the vacation language left many guys scratching their heads...........and relying on someone else to explain it for them.
Why so complicated? The company took away vacation......messed up Pro-ration in the process.......and now, instead of restoring what they took away,.......they parse the language to take advantage of those who don’t read the contract.

Early congratulations to you, Brother! The last month will be the......strangest. You’ll come to grips that your life is going to change drastically .
It’s been more than a year since I last wrapped my knuckles around a gearshift knob.......Am I nostalgic about it? Sure......
Do I miss doing it for a living? Hell, no!
Kind of like finally being let out on parole.......for good behavior.....

Be safe those last couple of months, Brother.......Safe is Slow....If they threaten to fire you......take them up on the offer......

My last month made me famous for my wolffish grin, every time management said “Could you do me a Favor......?”

I told them my wife had already asked me to do her a ....favor....and do the company NO favors in my last month.....

This is an odd job at best, Brother......and you know that, I’m sure......
If you add up all the hours you worked in your career....and divided it into 8 hour days.........you’ll probably find that you’ve worked 67 years of 8 hour days.....and you’re probably nowhere near 67......

You’ve already done the company a.....lifetime .....of favors.

Shame that pensions aren’t based on all hours worked.........

Keep us posted on your last couple of months, Brother!

Interesting how you put that. You used the word “decades” (a period of ten years) only plural (more than one) while trying to explain how older employees can help younger employees. You talk about pre-deregulation and doing freight 20 plus years. What you seem to be leaving out is that things change; that de-regulation happened on your watch. You older experienced employees had it really good before de-regulation and you gave it away. You didn't stop it! Your cohort got us in this situation. Have a great Labor Day because I will be working it (I wonder how that happened? Was this normal two decades ago?).

Deregulation wasn’t contractual. That was Big Business lobbying Congress, telling them how wonderful things would be if there was more......”competition” .......in transportation.

And then it became a race to the bottom,.....with trucking management being the only clear winners.
Teamsters only comprised about 70% of the trucking workforce. If you look at the Teamster magazine at the time, they were issuing priescient dire warnings about deregulation.
All of which came true......

Try reading “Sweatshops on Wheels, Winners and Losers in Deregulation “, by Dr. Michael H. Belzer , P.hd. He explains it very well.....

You’ve got to work on Labor Day......That used to be a “sacred” day to organized Labor,.......and a thorn in the side of management.
Looks like management is winning the battle of the hearts and minds of the Labor Force.

The bosses’ mantra was: “ If you don’t like it, leave.....”
The Union’s mantra was: “ I’m not leaving, I’ll work to make this job better......”