Yellow | New Hire Question

Buffalo Bill

TB Lurker
Credits
Thinking of applying at Yellow in Buffalo NY as a city driver or dock/yard combo (have cdl). Could someone please explain the progression between starting pay and full rate? Thank you in advance!

Thinking of applying at Yellow in Buffalo NY as a city driver or dock/yard combo (have cdl). Could someone please explain the progression between starting pay and full rate? Thank you in advance!
I thought progression was eliminated after last contract, new hires at full scale?

If you have any LTL experience, I would tell them you wouldn’t accept anything less than full pay.

I would contact Teamsters Local #449 in Buffalo and ask for a business agent that represents Local dock and yard union members. They can tell you from the union contract what the wage progression is.

716-874-2200 Local 449 phone, the teamster websites love to show the proposed changes in the agreement however reading the entire agreement with current wages is elusive. Best bet is calling the local and ask for YRC Business agent. Ask for the current wage progression, I retired 3 years ago and my best guess is top wage around 25.00 give or take and as CDL qualified you would start at 85% of the top wage

716-874-2200 Local 449 phone, the teamster websites love to show the proposed changes in the agreement however reading the entire agreement with current wages is elusive. Best bet is calling the local and ask for YRC Business agent. Ask for the current wage progression, I retired 3 years ago and my best guess is top wage around 25.00 give or take and as CDL qualified you would start at 85% of the top wage
Thank you for your help will give them a call.

All the way to bottom then scroll up to economic c settlement. It has been confusing.

2. New Hire Progression
The new hire wage progression for regular, full-time CDL-qualified employees and shop mechanics hired after ratification shall be as follows:
Effective First Day of Employment: 90% of the Applicable Wage Rate
Effective First Day plus One (1) Year: 95% of the Applicable Wage Rate
Effective First Day plus Two (2) Years: 100% of the Applicable Wage Rate
Regular, full-time employees in these two categories who currently are in progression also shall be moved to one hundred percent (100%) of the applicable wage rate effective April 1, 2019.
Effective April 1, 2019, CDL-qualified employees hired into driving positions who are not currently on the seniority list at a carrier covered by this Agreement, but who for two (2) or more years regularly performed CDL-required driving work for a carrier covered by this Agreement, shall be compensated at one hundred percent (100%) of the full contract rate provided they have not had a break in service in excess of three (3) years.
With the approval of TNFINC, the Employer shall have the ability to increase the applicable wage rate at individual locations if the Employer determines in its discretion that doing so is necessary to attract and retain qualified employees. In the event the Employer decides to exercise this option, it shall provide advance notice to TNFINC in writing.
3. Casual Rates
(a) City and Combination Casuals
Hourly rates for city and combination casuals (CDL required) shall increase by 85% of the general wage increase for regular employees on the dates shown.
(b) Dock Only Casuals and Clerical Casuals
Current and future dock only casuals and clerical casuals shall be paid a rate of $17.50 per hour, subject to the following progression:
Effective first day of employment: $16.00 per hour
Effective eighteen (18) months and one (1) day: $16.50 per hour

All the way to bottom then scroll up to economic c settlement. It has been confusing.

2. New Hire Progression
The new hire wage progression for regular, full-time CDL-qualified employees and shop mechanics hired after ratification shall be as follows:
Effective First Day of Employment: 90% of the Applicable Wage Rate
Effective First Day plus One (1) Year: 95% of the Applicable Wage Rate
Effective First Day plus Two (2) Years: 100% of the Applicable Wage Rate
Regular, full-time employees in these two categories who currently are in progression also shall be moved to one hundred percent (100%) of the applicable wage rate effective April 1, 2019.
Effective April 1, 2019, CDL-qualified employees hired into driving positions who are not currently on the seniority list at a carrier covered by this Agreement, but who for two (2) or more years regularly performed CDL-required driving work for a carrier covered by this Agreement, shall be compensated at one hundred percent (100%) of the full contract rate provided they have not had a break in service in excess of three (3) years.
With the approval of TNFINC, the Employer shall have the ability to increase the applicable wage rate at individual locations if the Employer determines in its discretion that doing so is necessary to attract and retain qualified employees. In the event the Employer decides to exercise this option, it shall provide advance notice to TNFINC in writing.
3. Casual Rates
(a) City and Combination Casuals
Hourly rates for city and combination casuals (CDL required) shall increase by 85% of the general wage increase for regular employees on the dates shown.
(b) Dock Only Casuals and Clerical Casuals
Current and future dock only casuals and clerical casuals shall be paid a rate of $17.50 per hour, subject to the following progression:
Effective first day of employment: $16.00 per hour
Effective eighteen (18) months and one (1) day: $16.50 per hour
So, the new hire driver doing the same job as the veteran drivers is paid 10% less. Is this a two-year training period? Is the new hire less capable?
The casual dock worker doing the same job never reaches parity with the regular dock worker. Is he a Teamster Second Class?

So, the new hire driver doing the same job as the veteran drivers is paid 10% less. Is this a two-year training period? Is the new hire less capable?
The casual dock worker doing the same job never reaches parity with the regular dock worker. Is he a Teamster Second Class?
Tiered pay rates, the beginnings of disunity in the Teamsters, voted in back in the 1980's.

They hired a guy with 10 years experience at my Reddaway terminal and he was making the same amount as me a new driver. Needless to say we left for Estes within 3 weeks.

They hired a guy with 10 years experience at my Reddaway terminal and he was making the same amount as me a new driver. Needless to say we left for Estes within 3 weeks.
I'm not quite sure I understand your point. Are you unhappy that the pay was the same for both of you or am I misunderstanding something? And why did you both leave? Just curious, not trying to start anything.

YOU wouldn't have it any other way. You wish they all made nothing and only investors got all the money.