Yellow | New Hire Question

So, the new hire driver doing the same job as the veteran drivers is paid 10% less. Is this a two-year training period? Is the new hire less capable?
The casual dock worker doing the same job never reaches parity with the regular dock worker. Is he a Teamster Second Class?
Lets see.....I'm willing to bet this wage progression was voted in when you worked for Preston...why did you do that? Did you know then you would be a big investor and screw your fellow worker? You should have quit in protest when it got voted in to show solidarity with the new guys, but you didnt , did you hypocrite? Also this isn't something that happens just in teamster companies, this was also prevalent in non union (and union) jobs I have worked...

Last edited:
Lets see.....I'm willing to bet this wage progression was voted in when you worked for Preston...why did you do that? Did you know then you would be a big investor and screw your fellow worker? You should have quit in protest when it got voted in to show solidarity with the new guys, but you didnt , did you hypocrite? Also this isn't something that happens just in teamster companies, this was also prevalent in non union (and union) jobs I have worked...
The wage progression was severe when first implemented by JC 40. Starting rate was 70% and it took three years to reach top rate. It was eye opening to me. My immediate reaction was that the Teamsters union just said that we were all overpaid, and the job was only worth 70% of what we were paid. The justification was that the wage reduction would save the pension fund.

So, the new hire driver doing the same job as the veteran drivers is paid 10% less. Is this a two-year training period? Is the new hire less capable?
The casual dock worker doing the same job never reaches parity with the regular dock worker. Is he a Teamster Second Class?
We caught our casuals hitting their 70 days which triggered them into preferred status a few years back.
3 guys triggered. We filed and they were put on the list. That ended casual dock here. They put all of them on then. I wanted them on at drivers rate because we had no dock-only. All FT guys had CDL.
But your kind of heroes didn't allow it. So we have different rates.
You probably think it's fine when a big company hires PT and pays nothing. What they do is shove off their responsibility of living wages and benefits onto the government....and then you complain when you have to pay taxes for them to live....as if you are the only one who deserves to live.

The wage progression was severe when first implemented by JC 40. Starting rate was 70% and it took three years to reach top rate. It was eye opening to me. My immediate reaction was that the Teamsters union just said that we were all overpaid, and the job was only worth 70% of what we were paid. The justification was that the wage reduction would save the pension fund.
Just out of curiosity, when did the pension fund in Joint Council 40 first start becoming seriously under funded (round about date)?

If the companies had their way ALL would be casuals. Drivers and dock. On-call, only when needed. No start times.
There are scum revolving door companies.

To my knowledge it was a NMFA thing not a JC thing...I dont see it as we are overpaid at all. As a matter of fact you are the only person that I have ever heard of making that conclusion....must be your superior intellect....it is very common for most employers to have progression union or not in all industries....

Just out of curiosity, when did the pension fund in Joint Council 40 first start becoming seriously under funded (round about date)?Not sure, to your point it was well after progression rates started.
Not sure, to your point it was well after the first progression rate contract. Western Pa was a billion-dollar fund in the mid 90's. I believe that was about 80-85% funded. Funds were not allowed to be fully funded. Full funding meant losing nonprofit status.
After the consent decree, government oversight allowed every fund to begin increase benefits. That stopped when the IBT allowed Consolidated Freightways to startup Conway in the 80's. It was obvious that pension funds would be in trouble.

Last edited:
To my knowledge it was a NMFA thing not a JC thing...I dont see it as we are overpaid at all. As a matter of fact you are the only person that I have ever heard of making that conclusion....must be your superior intellect....it is very common for most employers to have progression union or not in all industries....
Progression is appropriate in the trades where there are journeyman/apprentice categories of workers and once you achieve journeyman status you no longer work at apprentice pay rates. In trucking we don't have that. You can be very experienced but may have to start out at bottom rate on a new job.

Not sure, to your point it was well after the first progression rate contract. Western Pa was a billion-dollar fund in the mid 90's. I believe that was about 80-85% funded. Funds were not allowed to be fully funded. Full funding meant losing nonprofit status.
After the consent decree, government oversight allowed every fund to begin increase benefits. That stopped when the IBT allowed Consolidated Freightways to startup Conway in the 80's. It was obvious that pension funds would be in trouble.
The reason I was asking is because Central States did not start reductions until 2004. Below are pictures from my pension booklet from Central States that I received in 2005.

ABD2E9C0-B21B-4EBC-AA9E-AC338A15FE48.md.jpg 5154BB7D-139A-4D51-AD87-9434FFA09CF9.md.jpg

Progression is appropriate in the trades where there are journeyman/apprentice categories of workers and once you achieve journeyman status you no longer work at apprentice pay rates. In trucking we don't have that. You can be very experienced but may have to start out at bottom rate on a new job.
I understand that. I don't like or agree with progression, I'm just pointing out it isn't just a teamster thing....I worked a union factory job (maintenance mechanic) in the IBEW for 14 years before I started driving...progression there as well....

Thinking of applying at Yellow in Buffalo NY as a city driver or dock/yard combo (have cdl). Could someone please explain the progression between starting pay and full rate? Thank you in advance!
Turn around....RUN....don't look back, don't even stop at red lights until your many miles away. And remember any time the thought crosses your mind of applying at Yellow just reach up and clobber yourself up side the head! Eventually you will stop having these crazy thoughts. You will thank me later for this good advice!