XPO | New HOS rules are out!

Here's a image of it .

summaryof2011hosfinalru.jpg

I don't see any effect it's going to have on us.. maybe some flex board guys might be affected, but the company is already set up this way.. sat. And sunday nights off..so, we're covered.

The mandatory break of 30 minutes that must be logged on-duty after your 7th hour of drive will have the biggest inpact. If guy's are working 14 hour day's that would bring it to a total of 13.5 hours, instead of a true 14. Also, if guy's don't stop they are going to be back at the terminal 30 minutes early, which means I don't see how they are going to be able to clock in. It is going to show them going over 62mph. Not saying anybody would falsify there log book and say they stopped for 30 minutes and didn't, but there are going to be alot of guy's hate that rule, because they don't stop at all on a 10 or 11hr run. Maybe I'm wrong but, but if we make a mistake on our log book and it show's us driving more than 62mph, and I think it is actually lower than that, but they kick our log's back.

If you take time to read the final rule summary in pdf form, it is critical of alot of the claim's made by the ATA. When you get to the last page of 146 and the entire page of 147 it adresses Con-way by name. It also adresses Fed-ex and JB hunt before that but I don't remember what page. I stoped reading at page 148. If you don't feal like reading it, it basically say's most of Con-way's L/H runs are under 8hr's drive time, so it would't effect them very much. That's what i got out of it. It also states that it reserves the right to change the HOS rules at anytime it see's fit based on new data.

Hell, they don't come in effect until July 2013.
That will give the guy's that won't even stop to take a leak time to bid off those run's so they don't have to take a break. I don't mind taking a break, but 5 to 10 minutes is good for me, but a full 30 minutes? I was hoping we could take that 30 minute break when we got back in the yard after 12 or 13 hour's. Maybe they would have the spotter break my set up and put'em in those door's while I sit in the break room on lunch.....:coffee1::6799::1sm057crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
The mandatory break of 30 minutes that must be logged on-duty after your 7th hour of drive will have the biggest inpact. If guy's are working 14 hour day's that would bring it to a total of 13.5 hours, instead of a true 14. Also, if guy's don't stop they are going to be back at the terminal 30 minutes early, which means I don't see how they are going to be able to clock in. It is going to show them going over 62mph. Not saying anybody would falsify there log book and say they stopped for 30 minutes and didn't, but there are going to be alot of guy's hate that rule, because they don't stop at all on a 10 or 11hr run. Maybe I'm wrong but, but if we make a mistake on our log book and it show's us driving more than 62mph, and I think it is actually lower than that, but they kick our log's back.

If you take time to read the final rule summary in pdf form, it is critical of alot of the claim's made by the ATA. When you get to the last page of 146 and the entire page of 147 it adresses Con-way by name. It also adresses Fed-ex and JB hunt before that but I don't remember what page. I stoped reading at page 148. If you don't feal like reading it, it basically say's most of Con-way's L/H runs are under 8hr's drive time, so it would't effect them very much. That's what i got out of it. It also states that it reserves the right to change the HOS rules at anytime it see's fit based on new data.

Go to the Q and A link that r14 posted..it'll answer all your questions..when the 8 hour break starts in 2013, it is flexible.. it will have very little impact on the ltl.. read the Q&A.

That will give the guy's that won't even stop to take a leak time to bid off those run's so they don't have to take a break. I don't mind taking a break, but 5 to 10 minutes is good for me, but a full 30 minutes? I was hoping we could take that 30 minute break when we got back in the yard after 12 or 13 hour's. Maybe they would have the spotter break my set up and put'em in those door's while I sit in the break room on lunch.....:coffee1::6799::1sm057crazy:

The city driver will be most affected ..no more taking your lunch at the end of the day. You have to take the 30 after working 8. Can't drive if you don't. That's the way i read it

I haven't read it but from what you guys posted it looks as though it's referring to a 1/2 hr on-duty break from behind the wheel, i.e on duty not driving after 7 straight hrs of driving, and all of us do that... or close enough to stretch it out. We are always out from behind the wheel for an easy 20 minutes even on a meet and turn, to stretch it out to 30 minutes would be easy. And for those that run to an FAC, well that's a no-brainer

Go to the Q and A link that r14 posted..it'll answer all your questions..when the 8 hour break starts in 2013, it is flexible.. it will have very little impact on the ltl.. read the Q&A.
Ok, I did read it, again and beerfd if your referinng to Q@A#3 yes it say's it will have very little impact on the LTL. That is correct...I can tell your a city driver, it won't effect you as city driver's already must take a mandatory 30 minute break. Keep reading to Q@A#6 paragraph c #1 and #2

I haven't read it but from what you guys posted it looks as though it's referring to a 1/2 hr on-duty break from behind the wheel, i.e on duty not driving after 7 straight hrs of driving, and all of us do that... or close enough to stretch it out. We are always out from behind the wheel for an easy 20 minutes even on a meet and turn, to stretch it out to 30 minutes would be easy. And for those that run to an FAC, well that's a no-brainer
That is not correct, you must take your 30 minute brake between your 7th and 8th hour, you can't just go to the re-ship and clock in and while your working on the dock, say that was also my 30 minute on-duty lunch break.

That is not correct, you must take your 30 minute brake between your 7th and 8th hour, you can't just go to the re-ship and clock in and while your working on the dock, say that was also my 30 minute on-duty lunch break.
The way I read it you can take the 30 min break anytime before your 8th hour on duty. It must be off duty time though and cannot be spent doing other work.

The way I read it you can take the 30 min break anytime before your 8th hour on duty. It must be off duty time though and cannot be spent doing other work.
You might be right, the way i read it is it must be logged on-duty. If you go and read threw the pfd file it is more in-depth than the Q@@ session, but maybe it was too much info and I didn't interpet it right. Also, they way i understand it from some of the former CSE driver's, they used to have to take a 30 minute lunch break at the FAC before they could start working the FAC. What I was told. I just went and read it again your right it is off-duty, but it still counts towards your 14 hours. You can only work a total of 13.5 hours on-buty.

So hypothetical, when a L/H driver show's 30 minutes off duty he is going to have to be stopped somewhere between the 7th and 8th hour, and if he didn't stop he would't be able to clock in would he? Because his log is going to show him going more than 62mph. That is the only problem I see that is going to bother guy's.

So hypothetical, when a L/H driver show's 30 minutes off duty he is going to have to be stopped somewhere between the 7th and 8th hour, and if he didn't stop he would't be able to clock in would he? Because his log is going to show him going more than 62mph. That is the only problem I see that is going to bother guy's.

This might help you out .

2) Do I have to take a break exactly 8 hours after I come on duty?
No, the rule gives drivers flexibility in when and where to take the break. The rule only prohibits driving if more than 8 consecutive hours have passed since the last off-duty period of at least 30 minutes. For example, if a driver spends 2 hours loading at the beginning of the day, then has a 10-hour drive ahead of him, he must take the break no later than 8 hours after coming on duty. He can, however, take the break earlier. If he takes a half-hour or more break at some point between the 4th and 8th hours after coming on duty, he can complete the rest of his planned 10 hours of driving without another break.

From this link : Questions & Answers

As R-14 has posted, that's the way i read it too. Basically no more than 8 straight hours on duty without taking a 30 minute off duty break. You can take the break any time you want, you just can't go more than 8 without one.

I really wonder when the regulators are going to quit pissing around with these laws. They make it more and more confusing for drivers, and technically, they are getting less rest than they were under the old 10/60/70 rules years ago.

I thought their whole point of pissing with all these hours was for driver/public/highway safety, but it looks much different than that in my eyes.

This might help you out .

2) Do I have to take a break exactly 8 hours after I come on duty?
No, the rule gives drivers flexibility in when and where to take the break. The rule only prohibits driving if more than 8 consecutive hours have passed since the last off-duty period of at least 30 minutes. For example, if a driver spends 2 hours loading at the beginning of the day, then has a 10-hour drive ahead of him, he must take the break no later than 8 hours after coming on duty. He can, however, take the break earlier. If he takes a half-hour or more break at some point between the 4th and 8th hours after coming on duty, he can complete the rest of his planned 10 hours of driving without another break.

From this link : Questions & Answers
Ok, I guess I am looking at it from the way our nightime L/H runs at our barn are set up, nobody works the dock on the front side so you drive 4-5 hour's and then work the dock, then on your way back between the 7th and 8th hour you must take a 30 minute break off-duty, right?