SAIA | New IL Speed Limits

Do split speed limits really make sense anyway? I can understand the signs advising trucks to start a hill decent at a lower speed, but in general....no.

EVERYWHERE??? hope so! that long stretch on 55 from the 240mm all the way to the kingery exit in cgo really sucks! its only about 35 miles or so of 55mph..still still frustrating.

EVERYWHERE??? hope so! that long stretch on 55 from the 240mm all the way to the kingery exit in cgo really sucks! its only about 35 miles or so of 55mph..still still frustrating.

The last line of the news report says it is still only 55 mph in cook county and surrounding counties

That's how I take it also, it wont change driving around the Chicago area?

I read in another report that all of the counties surrounding Chicago will stay at 55 mph for trucks.

Illinois Laws That Go Into Effect January 1, 2012 | The Chicago Injury Lawyer

The Large Truck Speed Limit (SB 1913/PA 97-0202) extends the uniform speed limit that currently exists for Interstate highways to include four-lane divided highways and provides that, outside of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties, the speed limit for trucks is uniform with cars, or 65 mph, on four lane divided highways.

“There was more support for that than there was on the original legislation,” he says. “I think what that says is that my colleagues, I think, saw the effect that the uniform speed limit has. This measure passed with huge bipartisan support in both chambers.”
Large trucks, and all other vehicles for that matter, must still travel no faster than 55 mph on interstate highways in Cook County surrounding counties". If I'm not mistaken , there are NUMEROUS places COOK , WILL , KANE , DuPAGE , & McHENRY counties where the CAR Speed Limit is 65MPH ! !
It seems to me that the CARS & TRUCKS will STILL be moving at MUCH DIFFERENT SPEEDS ! ! I think that this is MUCH more dangerous in a crowded area , than a RURAL area ! ! GO FIGURE !