Averitt | New insurance changes

rnsgn

TB Lurker
Credits
I waited thinking someone would have raised a stink by now but no one is mentioning the pro's/cons of the changes. Those I talked to at the svs ctr who've had it before seem split, some ok with it, some saying we are getting bent over, never having Cigna myself I don't know.
I've checked, the dr's my family goes to accepts it but probably won't be the case with everyone. Co-pays/deductibles will go toward the yearly out of pocket which is a plus. But only having one plan for everyone, only having 2 dental/vision plans........ you have to wonder what other changes we are in for, guess we will soon find out.

I agree that everyone seems cool with the change, myself included. It seems to have advantages over BCBS. We all figured Obamacare would mess us up in the long run. I do like the 24/7/365 online medical service that will consult and call in prescriptions if needed. KNX is building an on sight medical clinic, clueless how that will work but I'm sure it will save me money and that is always a good thing. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GOING TO THE ONLINE AVERITT SITE AND WATCHING THE VIDEO, IT IS VERY INFORMATIVE !

The on site clinic at nash is "ok", I've been told those who went to get flu shots had to do all the paperwork like if you were going to a new doctor and it was a bit of a process (where as before we signed our name and raised our sleeve and was done in less than a min). It's good for ongoing issues that need attention, truckload guys who aren't up to par, or for those who live close by, but chances are if you are sick and not able to work you won't make the drive into the clinic, many of us live a good distance away. So it's good for minor issues. The hours are limited to like 6am-noon on mon and wed and 6-10am on friday. They will dispense some limited medication but for something ongoing you need to use your pharmacy. So it has it has some positive and some negatives. Definitely cheaper than a dr visit, but you have to get sick or need it during their limited hours and be sure to make an appointment to be seen.

A: I'd NEVER get a flu shot.

B: I'd NEVER EVER get a flu shot.

C: When you get the kind of raise that Conway gets starting 01/01/15, who cares what insurance costs.

My friend at Conway is very uneasy about the possible upcoming raise, he is confident they will have mass layoffs, they have already frozen any new hires and Conway will raise freight rates to compensate for the massive added cost. This is from his mouth.

My friend at Conway is very uneasy about the possible upcoming raise, he is confident they will have mass layoffs, they have already frozen any new hires and Conway will raise freight rates to compensate for the massive added cost. This is from his mouth.
They won't have layoffs, hell they can't even find people to hire. I quit almost a month ago and they haven't replaced me or any of the others.

Pistonring I've been watching other companies including conway, fedex ride around with 2 drivers in the truck quite often recently, to me that's training a new guy. I'm concerned about the upcoming months as Averitt seems to be hiring everyone that applies. They've hired so many we are already slow and not getting the hours we were because of having to share the work (with Temp drivers and part time workers I might add and that's an assburner for me that wouldn't happen at some companies), an Old dominion friend said they are doing the same thing and are just flooded with drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pistonring I've been watching other companies including conway, fedex ride around with 2 drivers in the truck quite often recently, to me that's training a new guy. I'm concerned about the upcoming months as Averitt seems to be hiring everyone that applies. They've hired so many we are already slow and not getting the hours we were because of having to share the work, an Old dominion friend said they are doing the same thing and are just flooded with drivers.
We hired a bunch of people, but keeping them around is another story. There also are a bunch of people farther up the ladder leaving (like I did).

Of course, your mileage may vary. That's just the way it is in my area.

Iceman don't you think for the most part all of these companies are charging the customers close to the same rates with a few exceptions here and there? If they weren't they would hands down be using one carrier and the rest of us would be out of work. My point is I think most of them are generating about the same revenue per truck and if one company can pay $25-$26 p/h I think the rest of them could be competitive as well. I'm sure conway will sit some guys at home, here and there but we will as well. The main difference is everyone here will lose money as they will try to work a low seniority guy here where others lay the new hire's off, others will use the rotating days off. I know SEFL was rotating sitting 15 guys a day when it slowed either last year or the year prior. I think January will be an eye opener.

I still see contractors at my house every night. I also know that the bottom guys have sat home several times already in the last couple weeks. In addition, I see an over abundance of truckload tractors parked on our yard during the week. I know good drivers are becoming a rare breed. More attrition than there is people getting into the industry. Maybe the thinking is that "let's build up our force while the sea has not been overfished.

I waited thinking someone would have raised a stink by now but no one is mentioning the pro's/cons of the changes. Those I talked to at the svs ctr who've had it before seem split, some ok with it, some saying we are getting bent over, never having Cigna myself I don't know.
I've checked, the dr's my family goes to accepts it but probably won't be the case with everyone. Co-pays/deductibles will go toward the yearly out of pocket which is a plus. But only having one plan for everyone, only having 2 dental/vision plans........ you have to wonder what other changes we are in for, guess we will soon find out.

Lifer, are you sure it WITH Cigna, and not just managed by Cigna.. We had the Cigna name over at Estes, but they just managed it for Estes.... Estes had input on what was paid and not paid from what I gather...
Now, the prescription program is Cigna's.... It's great,IMO...

Lifer, are you sure it WITH Cigna, and not just managed by Cigna.. We had the Cigna name over at Estes, but they just managed it for Estes.... Estes had input on what was paid and not paid from what I gather...
Now, the prescription program is Cigna's.... It's great,IMO...

Not sure. I haven't done my investigating. That's on my to do list. Going to do it online.

And while we are on the subject of benefits, it is typical Averitt to mail the info about the benefits to our houses to arrive 2 days after the benefits meetings have begun. The folks from Colonial that showed up don't know sh*t from shinola. Many questions went unanswered or the response was "Call your HR people".

Averitt knew this was coming down the pike. Why did they wait so long to mail it out? I am certain it has ZERO to do with the "hair-on-fire" management style that is alive and well at this camp. Always a day late and several dollars short.

I agree that everyone seems cool with the change, myself included. It seems to have advantages over BCBS. We all figured Obamacare would mess us up in the long run. I do like the 24/7/365 online medical service that will consult and call in prescriptions if needed. KNX is building an on sight medical clinic, clueless how that will work but I'm sure it will save me money and that is always a good thing. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GOING TO THE ONLINE AVERITT SITE AND WATCHING THE VIDEO, IT IS VERY INFORMATIVE !

IMO, Obbiecare may have open doors to some, but it caused ours to increase by $3.50 a week.. ... Plus raised our deductible and OOP expense....

barrycare is coming and we will lose our insurance as will everybody most likely after the 2016 election (until someone in congress with some huevos jabs a dagger through the heart of this monstrosity of a disaster). For next year though we have a new insurance carrier and by calculations it is a tad less for premiums while the copays are out of sight!