ABF | New Manager For Rochester NY

ABF381

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
Credits
To the men/women of the Rochester NY terminal you are in for a real treat....you are getting a new 25 year old manager...first the good points....she is pleasant....now the bad points...she is in over her head...if you have any problems and ask her for a resolution if she has no answer she will ignore you and walk away without saying a word and never give you an answer....she has done this to me a few times and also to others...we had a hazmat leak in a cylinder....we told her about it and shut the trailer up....she called our hazmat people...they never got back to her...she went home with the issue unresolved...until the steward got on the supervisor and he talked to the hazmat people...can't make this up...there isn't one driver that works for her that has a kind word about her...Good Luck my brothers in Rochester you will need it...

To the men/women of the Rochester NY terminal you are in for a real treat....you are getting a new 25 year old manager...first the good points....she is pleasant....now the bad points...she is in over her head...if you have any problems and ask her for a resolution if she has no answer she will ignore you and walk away without saying a word and never give you an answer....she has done this to me a few times and also to others...we had a hazmat leak in a cylinder....we told her about it and shut the trailer up....she called our hazmat people...they never got back to her...she went home with the issue unresolved...until the steward got on the supervisor and he talked to the hazmat people...can't make this up...there isn't one driver that works for her that has a kind word about her...Good Luck my brothers in Rochester you will need it...
So, your sayin’ she may get you injured or even killed, but at least she will be pleasant about it. That’s comforting to know. Sounds like she would be the ideal candidate to perform the eulogy at the funeral with her pleasant personality.

First name isn’t Bertha, is it? Maybe wearing a mini skirt, with a bib overall top?

First name isn’t Bertha, is it? Maybe wearing a mini skirt, with a bib overall top?
No such thing as a “mini-skirt” when it comes to Bertha. You have to remember, her “g-string” is more like an “a to z-string”. And I am not certain (nor is she) of her age, but she is older than 25. Let’s just say if she were a tree, and you cut her in half to count the rings to figure her age, you would need a calculator to do so.

Did she receive a custom coffee mug as a lovely parting gift at your terminal? :lmao::lmao::lmao: Classic.

What happened to Jeff ?

Same thing going on in salt lake. Sounds like the same age as well. They come in late and leave early. A long time dock supervisor walked with a weeks notice. She felt like she was on the chopping block. The operations manager was terminated shortly after he took over. These guys are a different breed than what I've seen since I've been here for 8 years. And to top it off we are being denied pay for work time that we have always been paid for. I've filled one grievance in the last 8years and the previous operations manager made sure I got paid. In the last month I've turned in 4. And I see no end in sight.

Same thing going on in salt lake. Sounds like the same age as well. They come in late and leave early. A long time dock supervisor walked with a weeks notice. She felt like she was on the chopping block. The operations manager was terminated shortly after he took over. These guys are a different breed than what I've seen since I've been here for 8 years. And to top it off we are being denied pay for work time that we have always been paid for. I've filled one grievance in the last 8years and the previous operations manager made sure I got paid. In the last month I've turned in 4. And I see no end in sight.
Trip, if you don’t mind telling us, what is the new bosses primary focus (Absenteeism, Productivity, etc.). And, what does your BA have to say about the status of your grievances? Not a good sign that he has already terminated the Operations Manager. Especially if the OM was one that you guys were used to dealing with when it comes to work-around-pay and seniority violations.

Talked to the business agent last night at the union meeting. He will be meeting this week with the new labor guy. I forget to mention the labor guy came over recently from yellow. Looks like all the grievances will be settled at Jwac next month. As far as the managers motive I think it changes from day to day. He fired a dock hand for absenteeism. I know there is trouble on the dock because nothing is getting done. As of late we have anywhere from 100 to 150 trailers that haven't been worked. I don't think he will be here next year. They are building a new terminal which is badly needed. We're going to be using the sled's it's going to be a faster pace operation. I guess. We will see.

Talked to the business agent last night at the union meeting. He will be meeting this week with the new labor guy. I forget to mention the labor guy came over recently from yellow. Looks like all the grievances will be settled at Jwac next month. As far as the managers motive I think it changes from day to day. He fired a dock hand for absenteeism. I know there is trouble on the dock because nothing is getting done. As of late we have anywhere from 100 to 150 trailers that haven't been worked. I don't think he will be here next year. They are building a new terminal which is badly needed. We're going to be using the sled's it's going to be a faster pace operation. I guess. We will see.
Glad to hear that your BA is on top of it and taking care of your grievances. Was progressive discipline followed on the dock hand that was fired or did the new boss just fire him. I heard that SLC was getting a new Mobile Platform dock about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Be sure and keep us posted on how well the platform dock works out. If they can ever get this system working coast to coast, it is going to be a big deal on time savings with long haul freight.

Glad to hear that your BA is on top of it and taking care of your grievances. Was progressive discipline followed on the dock hand that was fired or did the new boss just fire him. I heard that SLC was getting a new Mobile Platform dock about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Be sure and keep us posted on how well the platform dock works out. If they can ever get this system working coast to coast, it is going to be a big deal on time savings with long haul freight.
I know your new labor guy he is pretty fair to deal with.
How ever when it comes to absenteeism best know your contract and follow it to the letter. The guy will make it stick.
Surprised to see it was not settled before going to panel.
Your BA and Mr R have a lot of history behind them.
Where are they building new dock at ?
That place was worn out when PIE was still around.

Please explain to me how these mobile platforms are going to be “ A big deal on time savings for the long-haul Freight “... we have to fight with his mobile platforms every day. I see ZERO benefits with these things.

Please explain to me how these mobile platforms are going to be “ A big deal on time savings for the long-haul Freight “... we have to fight with his mobile platforms every day. I see ZERO benefits with these things.
As an example….Let’s say you load two mobile platforms on a van in Little Rock. One is a Dallas platform and the other one is an Albuquerque. You nose up the Albuquerque and rear load the Dallas. The driver gets to Dallas, they unload the Dallas platform and load back up an already prepared Albuquerque platform. The next driver is now on his way to Albuquerque with two platforms on the van and Dallas can now start unloading the platform they received. No more waiting for the freight to be unloaded and reloaded on another trailer. The way it is now, with no platforms, the trailer would have to be dropped, unloaded with a forklift reloaded on another trailer, closed out, scheduled, and then run back out. Like I said, if they can get this thing working coast to coast, it is going to cut out a whole lot of transit time being on Mobile Platforms on long haul freight.

Last edited:
As an example….Let’s say you load two mobile platforms on a van in Little Rock. One is a Dallas platform and the other one is an Albuquerque. You nose up the Albuquerque and rear load the Dallas. The driver gets to Dallas, they unload the Dallas platform and load back up an already prepared Albuquerque platform. The next driver is now on his way to Albuquerque with two platforms on the van and Dallas can now start unloading the platform they received. No more waiting for the freight to be unloaded and reloaded on another trailer. The way it is now, with no platforms, the trailer would have to be dropped, unloaded with a forklift reloaded on another trailer, closed out, scheduled, and then run back out. Like I said, if they can get this thing working coast to coast, it is going to cut out a whole lot of transit time being on Mobile Platforms on long haul freight.
So.. we’re going to be pulling all 53‘s now? Or is purchase transportation going be pulling the 53’s? You can do the exact same thing that you’re saying with pups....that aren’t losing at least 30% capacity because of the mobile platforms being in the trailer. With two mobile platforms in a 53 you’re pulling 12,000 pounds worth of metal that is bringing in zero revenue.

The example I gave you was with a van which would cut down on the time to drop out the pups, back both pups to the dock, unload, moved to different doors to reload, then rehook the trailers and dispatch. It would also work with pups efficiently as well. You back both pups in and pull off the mobile platforms to be unloaded, and load up mobile platforms that are already loaded to go out before working the mobile platform that came off the trailer. That way, the trailers can already be hooked, dispatched, and on their way to the next location while you are working the mobile platform that you received. The shorter amount of time the trailers spend at a location, the faster the transit time.