ABF | New Mileage Rates

G1gGHv2.jpg

No, they are using different mileage software to compute the distances between terminals
The IBT has a Milege Committee per Contract that is to run ALL Linehaul runs and agree upon the milege....DON"T let ABF dictate what your miles are between terminals...call your Local. On another note, (Yellow tried this years ago) do NOT let them check the milege with a GPS system. We got cut on miles and filed a greivence with a letter from the egineering Dept from Garmin stating that it was not good to use their GPS system in that way, because being near, or getting close to a Military instalation will desrupt the calculation of milege.....our terminal was next door to Dobbins AFB...go figure. We got OUR original miles back, PLUS back pay in lost miles due to the change.

Last edited:
G1gGHv2.jpg

The IBT has a Milege Committee per Contract that is to run ALL Linehaul runs and agree upon the milege....DON"T let ABF dictate what your miles are between terminals...call your Local. On another note, (Yellow tried this years ago) do NOT let them check the milege with a GPS system. We got cut on miles and filed a greivence with a letter from the egineering Dept from Garmin stating that it was not good to use their GPS system in that way, because being near, or getting close to a Military instalation will desrupt the calculation of milege.....our terminal was next door to Dobbins AFB...go figure. We got OUR original miles back, PLUS back pay in lost miles due to the change.

You would never use GPS because it is line of site, but I don't think the military uses DGPS any longer.

Do you guys get a additional miles for using the hazmat route when passing through certain cities?

And no one's answered you on this? I can tell you that placarded HAZ-MAT loads were paid extra miles to run around both Columbus , Ohio,...and the Wheeling tunnel.
Also,....from W. Penna. going east.....HAZ-MAT loads were paid across Rt.22 instead of the Pike,...for Hazardous Prohibited in Tunnels.
Pgh. terminal drivers with HAZ-MAT routinely run around the tunnels on I-376 and I-279,....Liberty Tubes, and all the other tunnels in the Greater Pgh. area. My former terminal ,...GBG-310...didn't have any tunnels to contend with, city-wise,.....But road and UE running east and west had the aforementioned tunnel restrictions,.....and mileage drivers got paid to run the HAZ-MAT route.

I remember several years ago an upper echelon management type planned to cut mileage pay. I still wonder how he figured distances between terminals had changed. Anyway, the local notified the International & asked for strike sanctions. When Mr. Young saw what was happening the mileage pay stayed as it had always been. I won't mention that management type person's name since he is no longer living.
Yeah Doc.. Some of these college whiz kids can be really stunning. I remember when I worked for TIME-DC in Ontario before coming to ABF one of these geniuses in Denver called our relay manager in Ontario and asked "Ted, Seattle is at sea level right? Ted said "yeah" he continued "and Denver is a 5,280 ft, right" Again Ted said "right" He goes " so why does it take as much fuel to go from Seattle to Denver as it takes to go from Denver to Seattle when you are going downhill when going west" Ted couldn't believe his ears. Swear to god...

Yeah Doc.. Some of these college whiz kids can be really stunning. I remember when I worked for TIME-DC in Ontario before coming to ABF one of these geniuses in Denver called our relay manager in Ontario and asked "Ted, Seattle is at sea level right? Ted said "yeah" he continued "and Denver is a 5,280 ft, right" Again Ted said "right" He goes " so why does it take as much fuel to go from Seattle to Denver as it takes to go from Denver to Seattle when you are going downhill when going west" Ted couldn't believe his ears. Swear to god...

This wasn't a 'Kid', he was a seasoned industrial relations management type who spent his whole career plotting against organized labor. He cost the company a lot of funds that could have been used for operating. He would spend $1000 trying to cheat employees out of a $100. I don't know of one thing he ever did to help the employees & that in turn took away from the company. I have often wondered how people could look back on their career & not be able to list one positive accomplishment.

This wasn't a 'Kid', he was a seasoned industrial relations management type who spent his whole career plotting against organized labor. He cost the company a lot of funds that could have been used for operating. He would spend $1000 trying to cheat employees out of a $100. I don't know of one thing he ever did to help the employees & that in turn took away from the company. I have often wondered how people could look back on their career & not be able to list one positive accomplishment.
I can assure you he's not the only one....

Well,.......that’s alright.....But, you still need to check, re-check, and check again.....anytime the company says:”modest change.....”

“Trust,.....but verify...”. Was that a Union official that said that?
Trust but verify = Peace thru strength.
Glad to see you back on the boards.