ABF | New Mileage Rates

We tried for years to get a night dock differential. Company always had to force it on bottom two guys. UE runs got $1.00 extra,...but guys working our platform at night assisting the 15-20 UE runs hitting our dock as a NDXP,....got nothing extra.

We tried for years to get a night dock differential. Company always had to force it on bottom two guys. UE runs got $1.00 extra,...but guys working our platform at night assisting the 15-20 UE runs hitting our dock as a NDXP,....got nothing extra.

The night differential in the Southern Garage Supplement was allowed to expire when those who were on the seniority list when it was in effect retired. When they went to the day shift they of course did not collect the extra pay. There was a mechanic in the shop who worked the graveyard shift till he retired. He was the last one I know of to draw the extra pay.
I was hired after the differential pay contract was signed. The contract I was hired under had language that excluded me from drawing the extra pay.

Why did they allow it to expire? The whole idea was to make that shift more attractive to higher seniority people,....so that the bottom seniority didn't get it jammed up their hind-ends every bid period.

Precisely the reasoning behind giving the UE an extra dollar. If they hadn't done that,.....the UE would've been flooded with low-seniority, disgruntled, angry, unmotivated guys feeling shafted by the seniority process.

And how well would the Premium Service/UE rollout worked,....if it was jammed on the bottom guys?

Why did they allow it to expire? The whole idea was to make that shift more attractive to higher seniority people,....so that the bottom seniority didn't get it jammed up their hind-ends every bid period.

Precisely the reasoning behind giving the UE an extra dollar. If they hadn't done that,.....the UE would've been flooded with low-seniority, disgruntled, angry, unmotivated guys feeling shafted by the seniority process.

And how well would the Premium Service/UE rollout worked,....if it was jammed on the bottom guys?

Apparently the negotiating committee agreed with the company that the graveyard shift did not deserve the few cents extra. I don't remember the exact amount but the few cents extra wasn't enough to change the companys profit margin. Every contract proposal I asked for the differential pay to be reinstated as well as a tool allowance. It took several contracts for the company to agree to a small tool allowance. As time went on the truck/engine dealerships paid mechanics/techs more than those of us under the NMFA. When I started, the pay under the NMFA was about double the pay at dealerships. Plus most dealership shops worked M-F day shift where my employer worked all three shifts in the shop. It became difficult for the company to attract young techs. The flat rate at truck dealerships has been over $100 per hour for a long time so the company can run a company shop for less.
As time goes on the freight lines will have to dig deeper in their pockets to attract & retain dependable employees on the dock, city, road & shop.

And as non-Unions start offering things like,....reimbursement for HAZ-MAT endorsements on licenses,.......which are worthless to me, but mean more revenue for employers......

The Union carriers will have an increasingly hard time attracting good, qualified drivers....

QnWU6Np.jpg

WVQQqEE.jpg

lepprfx.jpg

Back in those days, companies used the same mileage scale regardless of their terminal location.
Post office to post office.
That has since come to bite drivers in the ass. The household mover's guide goes post office to post office, and apparently it's not what it used to be. Lol

Are there more post offices now? Lol that sounds like a dumb question, but it's about all I can think of.

That has since come to bite drivers in the ass. The household mover's guide goes post office to post office, and apparently it's not what it used to be. Lol

Are there more post offices now? Lol that sounds like a dumb question, but it's about all I can think of.

I was leased as an O/O to an outfit that used "Circle points".......The mileage stopped when you hit the city line,..or "Circle point".
Every year, Baltimore got closer and closer to Pittsburgh as the Circles got bigger......We figured at that rate,...by 2025, the Ravens and Steelers could practice together on the same field........

I know I had a little bit of a ‘tude when the UE bid was forced onto me. I never really adjusted to the sleep schedule...surviving (barely) on 4-5 hours of sleep per night. Oops....4-5 hours per DAY! I didn’t do it for a super-long time, and would never EVER have bid into it. My ‘best’ night on that shift was my LAST night. We did, however, get the extra $1 per hour.

I know I had a little bit of a ‘tude when the UE bid was forced onto me. I never really adjusted to the sleep schedule...surviving (barely) on 4-5 hours of sleep per night. Oops....4-5 hours per DAY! I didn’t do it for a super-long time, and would never EVER have bid into it. My ‘best’ night on that shift was my LAST night. We did, however, get the extra $1 per hour.

Not many people are good day sleepers. I worked the late shift for 10 years. I will admit my wife was contrary when I did not get my sleep. She never had to work nights so she & others did not understand why I couldn't stay up all day & do home projects. I often wished she & others in the family would have had to work the graveyard shift for just one week.
Many people work shift work, medical , law enforcement & the list goes on. I know a nurse who volunteered to work in NYC with the pending crisis. She has worked several traveling nurse jobs across the country but said she just could not work nights with all of the stress & still get her rest. The hospital allowed her to work days because they need her experience in ER.
The world is different when you work the late shift.

Not many people are good day sleepers. I worked the late shift for 10 years. I will admit my wife was contrary when I did not get my sleep. She never had to work nights so she & others did not understand why I couldn't stay up all day & do home projects. I often wished she & others in the family would have had to work the graveyard shift for just one week.
Many people work shift work, medical , law enforcement & the list goes on. I know a nurse who volunteered to work in NYC with the pending crisis. She has worked several traveling nurse jobs across the country but said she just could not work nights with all of the stress & still get her rest. The hospital allowed her to work days because they need her experience in ER.
The world is different when you work the late shift.
Amen, brother! I did it a long time ago in a different line of work...in my 20’s...and not a trucking job.

In trucking,.........sleep deprivation is the Enemy. Before they changed the logs,...anyone starting off the month sleeping during the day.....working on a Hot Board, where you got called out on your "8"........would be sleeping during the day by the middle of the month, and back to sleeping at night by the end of the month.......your only hope for a break was running out of hours,...coming up on a couple of "zeros" in your 8 day re-cap....

And, of course.....Those of us who started in the '70's...(..or earlier,...Bro. seabreeze..)..can remember how companies routinely coupled your "manhood"...with your ability to stay awake for 20-30 hours at a stretch.....

And we fell for it.......

Way back in the '80's,....the JAMA had an article that said,....if you didn't get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep,...at NIGHT,...following Circadian Rhythms,...then eventually that lifestyle would drive you Clinically Psychotic......
Overdrive Magazine re-printed the article,..........and then Laughingly asked when our Employers would start paying our Disability Checks...for making us Psychotic.......

It would help, if the ENTIRE trucking industry was under the Fair Labor Standards Act,.....No more mileage/tonnage/trip pay.....

In trucking,.........sleep deprivation is the Enemy. Before they changed the logs,...anyone starting off the month sleeping during the day.....working on a Hot Board, where you got called out on your "8"........would be sleeping during the day by the middle of the month, and back to sleeping at night by the end of the month.......your only hope for a break was running out of hours,...coming up on a couple of "zeros" in your 8 day re-cap....

And, of course.....Those of us who started in the '70's...(..or earlier,...Bro. seabreeze..)..can remember how companies routinely coupled your "manhood"...with your ability to stay awake for 20-30 hours at a stretch.....

And we fell for it.......

Way back in the '80's,....the JAMA had an article that said,....if you didn't get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep,...at NIGHT,...following Circadian Rhythms,...then eventually that lifestyle would drive you Clinically Psychotic......
Overdrive Magazine re-printed the article,..........and then Laughingly asked when our Employers would start paying our Disability Checks...for making us Psychotic.......

It would help, if the ENTIRE trucking industry was under the Fair Labor Standards Act,.....No more mileage/tonnage/trip pay.....

Back before cellphones, the bottom half of the seniority extraboard had a hard roe to hoe.
It was called guard the phone, rough life, never knew when you would work.