Yellow | New P&D Route Optimization Program

I never said we don't need technology. What good is it if you don't use it and keep it up to date? One example I have for you is the Skeleton bills. Living in the information age and we take all the information off the bills.

Here is my point. Rapid is garbage in garbage out. If the customer file is not kept up to date then the program cannot route peddles properly. If your city foreman is using it to sequence your route then his plan will be no good. With this new route optimizer I would imagine GPS locations are used and an entire route can be plotted based on first and last stops, appointments, etc. Every city man is basically a human GPS for his route but something like this will help the management and us my cutting down on back tracking and how much freight we have to move to be efficient. Pickups should probably push pin on a map overlay with drivers routes showing on the same map. Get it, no more dispatcher sending you 30 minutes in the wrong direction when he can see someone else coming in through that town. Instead let's bitch because we know more than the computers do. We still have drivers that ask for maps and need dispatch to call ahead on notifies. My cell has unlimited talk and text and if I have a question about directions the last person I want to ask is the dispatcher who has to ask the customer and then call me back. Ever play telephone? I would rather not pulling a 53 down a country road. I call myself after hitting it up on Google Earth with the aerial view.

Here is my point. Rapid is garbage in garbage out. If the customer file is not kept up to date then the program cannot route peddles properly. If your city foreman is using it to sequence your route then his plan will be no good. With this new route optimizer I would imagine GPS locations are used and an entire route can be plotted based on first and last stops, appointments, etc. Every city man is basically a human GPS for his route but something like this will help the management and us my cutting down on back tracking and how much freight we have to move to be efficient. Pickups should probably push pin on a map overlay with drivers routes showing on the same map. Get it, no more dispatcher sending you 30 minutes in the wrong direction when he can see someone else coming in through that town. Instead let's bitch because we know more than the computers do. We still have drivers that ask for maps and need dispatch to call ahead on notifies. My cell has unlimited talk and text and if I have a question about directions the last person I want to ask is the dispatcher who has to ask the customer and then call me back. Ever play telephone? I would rather not pulling a 53 down a country road. I call myself after hitting it up on Google Earth with the aerial view.
Ok but what happens when you have several stops in an area but some you can only get to with a pup. Meanwhile you have to run drivers into that area with vans because you pick up a ton of freight and have a shortage of manpower.
Will this new system be able to understand this issue?

Ok but what happens when you have several stops in an area but some you can only get to with a pup. Meanwhile you have to run drivers into that area with vans because you pick up a ton of freight and have a shortage of manpower.
Will this new system be able to understand this issue?
ABF has run a load optimizer for years for P&D. We change things in the routes all the time. It just gives a general idea on how to route all your runs. Then the dispatcher/drivers change things in the route as needed. If you have a good manager it should work fine. If not you'll bring a lot of freight back.

Don't you need freight on a truck for a route to be optimized? We've lost so much business that we now have to combine 2,3, sometimes 4 routes to put 8-10 stops on a truck. No computer program can possibly make this situation optimum. We need freight density to make p&d routes productive.

Why break our heads and be on stress on how many stops you can make:regretful:
Let the optimizer do the job for you. I see a lots of enjoyable days in the future.:smilie93c peelout::kicking::guinesssmilie:
Remember, you may get a discipline letter for not following company procedures.:chairshot::kickedoutsmile:

Your choice boys. Be empowered or babysat. Up to you really.
Empowered? Yea, If they would listen!
Example?
I told a Supervisor that there will be del's I can no longer make as according to Pa law I can only go on those roads with a 28 ft trailer.
His reply? No problem, "We will just give you a 48 footer"

HUH? Did you not hear what I said?
Lets see a computer program fix that! As always it comes down to the Human factor.

Production?
No such thing! I refer everyone to Article 20 of the NFMA!
They can say, Print, And start new "Programs" all they want. It don't mean a frekin thing! As long as your moving!
Agree with you,you can't be disciplined for going too slow. But there are some guys who take it to the extreme. And it's very frustrating..

Wonder if anyone has any idea of what this pilot program is even going to look like? Hell, it may even be a good thing for p and d. Except for those who will never accept change of any sorts.

Wonder if anyone has any idea of what this pilot program is even going to look like? Hell, it may even be a good thing for p and d. Except for those who will never accept change of any sorts.

Some people complain about the crappy equipment we have. Then they complain that the company is spending on equipment instead of giving us raises.

Some people complain about our outdated technology then complain that the company is wasting money on new technology.

Some people have an overabundance of the "complain" gene I believe.

Sadly I believe the complain gene is more like a super bug. Immune to antibiotics and very contagious. Hear it is even resistant to ciprofloxacin.