New Penn | New Penn gets another chance

When Yellow bought "the system" there was a lot of over lapping coverage and as far as I know, Red Star wasn't turning a profit. I'll have to double check on that. After the first vote here that took affect in Jan, there are several of your Teamster brothers who will be lucky if they will have worked a total of 60 days for this year (so much for their yes vote), a 500 dollar unemployent check would look really good right now, which I might add is just slightly under what came home this week (after the 10 percent) Unemployment? i'm not afraid to work, two and three jobs if neccessary. No, they probably won't be union. But i've kept my eyes and ears open and there are jobs out there, some paying not so bad. A cut yes. But then again, the reason you are working at the rate you are with the benefits you have is because people fought for what was right and didn't give into the corporate schmucks.
Everyone should be upset with IBT. They spent so much money organizing Overnight and then they went to their own pension fund. All the IBT is worried about is membership, they lose it, there goes their paychecks.
As for health coverage, the kids can be covered under CHIP and i've gone without medical before (you deal with it when it's needed). YRC has been allowd to keep a nice little cash reserve and these added cuts will cushion all their pockets before they file bankruptcy.
Balls, I think it's called solidarity.
The IBT wants members cause there is political power in numbers. Without any numbers EVERYTHING the unions fought for are at risk of being lost in the laws in D.C. becaus as the nuimbers diminish so does the political clout. And as our Clout diminishes the corporate clout increases and D.C. will do anything the corporations want. AN d I don't doubt that drivers will be required to work 80-90 hrs a week before 10 years is up. And they'll hear "If you don't like it you can quit on a daily basis." They didn't just fight for your paycheck. They fought for laws. And if they cease to exist ,mark my words the fate of the working driver in the U.S. is in sad shape for years to come. They could stand up with 400,ooo people in the MFA. You can't bark too loudly with less than 40,000. poiticians listen too numbers of people and money. With no money and no numbers we are nothing. Which is why card check is important.

Ok so I'm the wife of a driver at NP and I'm trying to find out from him, what does happen to the pension if YRC folds or closes NP's door, that's a question I would like to know the answer too.

If your not happy here leave. Don't vote me out of a job!

Do you feel the same about those with enough time to retire should retire and not vote away pension time that I need?

YRC is done, hundreds of millions of dollars in debt every quarter. This quarter was worse than the last one and they didn't even have to pay the pension money!

And do you think they created a COO over the weekend?
This was planned long ago.

No, it isn't the 1950's or 60's with 400,000 members to back each other up, now why do you think that is? I think the "me me me me and I I I I has a lot to do with that. I seem to be reading a lot about me me me me and I I I I. Lest we not forget that people did actually die for the rights and laws that were instituted for the union. In the early 80's when the decsion was made to deregulate the trucking industry, it took a HUGE blow and set it back quite a bit. So a majority of the New Penn workers decide to stand up for all the headway that has been made since then and there is a revote because it's not what YRC wants? YRC has made bad choices and I am suppose to bail them out? Once again, if(when) it all folds in 2 months or tomorrow, there is life after. I'm not to lazy to start all over again because there are people depending on me (It won't be easy). But at least I know that I stood for all the right reasons....even if I am standing in the unemployment line. No one has a greater asset for his business than a man's pride in his work.

No, it isn't the 1950's or 60's with 400,000 members to back each other up, now why do you think that is? I think the "me me me me and I I I I has a lot to do with that. I seem to be reading a lot about me me me me and I I I I. Lest we not forget that people did actually die for the rights and laws that were instituted for the union. In the early 80's when the decsion was made to deregulate the trucking industry, it took a HUGE blow and set it back quite a bit. So a majority of the New Penn workers decide to stand up for all the headway that has been made since then and there is a revote because it's not what YRC wants? YRC has made bad choices and I am suppose to bail them out? Once again, if(when) it all folds in 2 months or tomorrow, there is life after. I'm not to lazy to start all over again because there are people depending on me (It won't be easy). But at least I know that I stood for all the right reasons....even if I am standing in the unemployment line. No one has a greater asset for his business than a man's pride in his work.

The last vote showed pride and unity in newpenn. But now the boogey man came out of the closet.
I'm not changing my opinion or my vote. YRC will do what they want even when this votes comes back a yes. Which will be close or merge some or all of newpenn. I'd rather we all stand on the firing line together than pick certain guys to be shot. Newpenn is nothin to YRC. Only thing Yrc will lose is what little profit we make right now.
SEMPER FI !!

Ok so I'm the wife of a driver at NP and I'm trying to find out from him, what does happen to the pension if YRC folds or closes NP's door, that's a question I would like to know the answer too.
The fund will dry up slowhand if yrc goes down no one else will be paying into it except abf.

To follow is some information on the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation which is a federal corporation which was founded in 1974 to cover pensions.

What PBGC guaranteesPBGC guarantees "basic benefits" earned before your plan’s termination date (or the date your employer’s bankruptcy proceeding began, if applicable), which include:

Pension benefits at normal retirement age
Most early retirement benefits
Annuity benefits for survivors of plan participants
Disability benefits (see exception below)
PBGC does not guarantee:

Health and welfare benefits
Vacation pay
Severance benefits
Lump-sum death benefits for a death that occurs after the date the plan ended
Disability benefits for a disability that occurs after the plan’s termination date (or the date your employer’s bankruptcy proceeding began, if applicable)
Legal Limits on PBGC's guarantees

Generally, PBGC does not guarantee any monthly pension amount that is greater than the monthly benefit your plan would have provided if you had retired at your normal retirement age.
The maximum amount that PBGC guarantees is set each year under provisions of ERISA. For more information, see: Maximum monthly guarantee tables
Higher limits may apply for people who met their plan’s requirements for a disability pension (whether they are receiving a disability pension or a non-disability pension) before the plan’s termination date. For more information, see “Guarantees for disabled participants.”
PBGC may not fully guarantee your benefits if your plan was created or amended to increase benefits within five years before its termination date.
If the plan terminated while your employer was in a bankruptcy proceeding that began on or after September 16, 2006, guarantees are determined as of the date your employer’s bankruptcy proceeding began.
Additional limits may apply for certain airline industry plans.
For more information, see PBGC's publication, Your Guaranteed Pension.
Related information:Pension Guarantees Fact Sheet

irishman 107 if you were on death row(which is where you are)and the judge overturned the verdic and granted you a new trial.Your telling me youd rather hang because the jury convicted you than take another shot at life!Please ,Bang your head on a wall and see if you can get your brain started again!

The judge is only letting you stay alive and in your cell untill they can find someone that knows how to tie the knot, but your still gonna die.
I'd say get it over with...

The Pension benefit guaranty is if your employer manages the fund. Here in CPT local 429 manages our fund and if YRC goes belly up, our accrual is frozen untill the member gets a new job where his pension is paid to the fund. If not then when the member applies for his retirement the fund calculates his benefit. If 429 were to become insolvent, then the guaranty kicks in.Check out erisa

I am not at NPME so I haven't seen exactly what you are voting on.

In contracts that I have seen in my working career, once a proposal is turned down, the company can not ask for a 2nd vote on the same proposal.

Are you voting on a different proposal now? How did it change?

We have not seen it either, But I would say its the same proposal, just a new vote because I guess we didn't get the vote right the first time.:biglaugh:

Do you feel the same about those with enough time to retire should retire and not vote away pension time that I need?

YRC is done, hundreds of millions of dollars in debt every quarter. This quarter was worse than the last one and they didn't even have to pay the pension money!

And do you think they created a COO over the weekend?
This was planned long ago.

Some ones finally thinking this merger was talked about in the past and a coo takes a lot longer than a week to come up with I agree this was in the plans for a while the vote just gave them a reason to do it,or use it to scare people into voting the way they wanted,also I always thought new penn was owned by YRC already so even if you voted yes you could be faced with the same problem next week or next month.

I am not at NPME so I haven't seen exactly what you are voting on.

In contracts that I have seen in my working career, once a proposal is turned down, the company can not ask for a 2nd vote on the same proposal.

Are you voting on a different proposal now? How did it change?

as it was explained to me, T.Johnson and the rest of the disgrace that assembles the IBT in D.C. met with a bunch of lawyers from YRC, IBT and NPME and agreed to let a re-vote happen. what was exactly discussed was not told to me.

as it was explained to me, T.Johnson and the rest of the disgrace that assembles the IBT in D.C. met with a bunch of lawyers from YRC, IBT and NPME and agreed to let a re-vote happen. what was exactly discussed was not told to me.

I don't know how that happened. On Monday the Newpenn president was not in DC and one of the VP's was at our terminal

irishman 107 if you were on death row(which is where you are)and the judge overturned the verdic and granted you a new trial.Your telling me youd rather hang because the jury convicted you than take another shot at life!Please ,Bang your head on a wall and see if you can get your brain started again!

Thats not a fair comparison.Think about the options here vote no,lose your job,vote yes same thing.:nutkick:THIS IS TOTAL BULLshit!Way to much debt to overcome.No one should be chastised for the way they vote.And one more thing is if New Penn is part of the NMFA,why did they vote seperate? Any answers, anyone?

Thats not a fair comparison.Think about the options here vote no,lose your job,vote yes same thing.:nutkick:THIS IS TOTAL BULLshit!Way to much debt to overcome.No one should be chastised for the way they vote.And one more thing is if New Penn is part of the NMFA,why did they vote seperate? Any answers, anyone?

I don't know this for gospel, but this is my take. Newpenn management signed a me too for whatever was agreed during the contract negotiations. However, newpenn management can not agree to giving us a paycut or givebacks without our vote.

I would guess that legally we must vote seperately. I don't know if holland had people on the TMI negotiating team as yellow, roadway did. But I would guess they did and thats why they are not seperate.
This all went back to the strike in 94 when newpenn was a part of TMI. But we remained on strike for reasons that did not concern newpenn (Rail, Sleepers. etc) So after that strike, Newpenn withdrew from TMI.

it still all doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone on here actually knows. It is strange that the IBT never even explained this to anyone. But I am sure it must be legal reasons or labor law reasons, because you know YRC would rather have us vote all together

I don't know this for gospel, but this is my take. Newpenn management signed a me too for whatever was agreed during the contract negotiations. However, newpenn management can not agree to giving us a paycut or givebacks without our vote.

I would guess that legally we must vote seperately. I don't know if holland had people on the TMI negotiating team as yellow, roadway did. But I would guess they did and thats why they are not seperate.
This all went back to the strike in 94 when newpenn was a part of TMI. But we remained on strike for reasons that did not concern newpenn (Rail, Sleepers. etc) So after that strike, Newpenn withdrew from TMI.

it still all doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone on here actually knows. It is strange that the IBT never even explained this to anyone. But I am sure it must be legal reasons or labor law reasons, because you know YRC would rather have us vote all together

After the results of the last vote i'm sure they would..

I haven't read all the threads but if they are threatening you in any way because of the vot everone needs to contact the National Labor Board. You can go online and signup to be a member and file your complaint. It is against the law to be threaten by the out come of a vote in your workplace. You are also covered by a union contract and the sorry ***** hoffa nad johnson will have to defend you in hearings. Once the charges are filed they will have to stop action against you.

When Yellow bought "the system" there was a lot of over lapping coverage and as far as I know, Red Star wasn't turning a profit. I'll have to double check on that. After the first vote here that took affect in Jan, there are several of your Teamster brothers who will be lucky if they will have worked a total of 60 days for this year (so much for their yes vote), a 500 dollar unemployent check would look really good right now, which I might add is just slightly under what came home this week (after the 10 percent) Unemployment? i'm not afraid to work, two and three jobs if neccessary. No, they probably won't be union. But i've kept my eyes and ears open and there are jobs out there, some paying not so bad. A cut yes. But then again, the reason you are working at the rate you are with the benefits you have is because people fought for what was right and didn't give into the corporate schmucks.
Everyone should be upset with IBT. They spent so much money organizing Overnight and then they went to their own pension fund. All the IBT is worried about is membership, they lose it, there goes their paychecks.
As for health coverage, the kids can be covered under CHIP and i've gone without medical before (you deal with it when it's needed). YRC has been allowd to keep a nice little cash reserve and these added cuts will cushion all their pockets before they file bankruptcy.
Balls, I think it's called solidarity.

USF closed Redstar in 2004. Yellow bought USF in 2005 then closed Dugan June 2005, but USF was going to close Dugan as well, but backed off until the sale to Yellow.