SAIA | New policy regarding communication devices

Demolitionman

TB Veteran
Credits
We got a memo today, as I'm sure you all did, stating we will no longer be allowed to talk on cell phones and also no c.b. radios in the trucks either. What are everyone's thoughts? They want you to be awake and alert, and also the freight to make it there safely. Talking on the radio or the phone generally keeps me from feeling like I need a nap on the way back to the terminal. CB's are also a great way to find out about road hazards before they become a hazard for you. A guy from safety was at the ATL terminal a couple nights ago, and questioned a driver if he was still going to talk on his phone even with the policy against it. His reply was "You're damn right I am!". I guess next they will remove the am/fm radios to make sure we fall asleep from boredom.

We got a memo today, as I'm sure you all did, stating we will no longer be allowed to talk on cell phones and also no c.b. radios in the trucks either. What are everyone's thoughts? They want you to be awake and alert, and also the freight to make it there safely. Talking on the radio or the phone generally keeps me from feeling like I need a nap on the way back to the terminal. CB's are also a great way to find out about road hazards before they become a hazard for you. A guy from safety was at the ATL terminal a couple nights ago, and questioned a driver if he was still going to talk on his phone even with the policy against it. His reply was "You're damn right I am!". I guess next they will remove the am/fm radios to make sure we fall asleep from boredom.

Let me guess. Its ok for salespeople to talk with customers and to continue using their cell phonse while driving.

According to the memo, no. It states anyone in a company vehicle or in their personal vehicle while on compnay business is not allowed to use their phone.

I guess that means no more texting and surfing the web while driving either, huh? :duel:. Hopefully, this will bring to an end some of the difficulties drivers have experienced with the company calling them on their cellphones. A perfect excuse not to answer! :banana:

I guess that means no more texting and surfing the web while driving either, huh? :duel:. Hopefully, this will bring to an end some of the difficulties drivers have experienced with the company calling them on their cellphones. A perfect excuse not to answer! :banana:

but we all know that if they can't get in contact with you and you miss a pick up or fail to make one of their extreme deliveries because you could not be reached to be "reminded" to make the delivery, it's your job on the line, and it's all because saia is trying to rule with an iron fist to make up for their stupid decisions.

It specifically mentions those. The city driver has to pull over and stop before using it. They must also stand on their head and do 3 1/2 cartwheels before use as well. :stir:

going to put in on-line app. for SAIA today in gbo. do you think this policy of no cell phones will stick? I use my phone quite a bit at night to help me stay awake.
been with Wilson Trucking 8 yrs.was a line-haul driver for over 7 yrs. they bumped me (and several others) back to shuttle driver in sept.09
that means I went from mileage pay,to hourly. twice the work for a lot less pay. don't think they are going to let us back in line-haul.
much as I hate to,its time to move on. I hear a lot of good things about SAIA. would welcome any input you guys might have. ie line-haul pay,vacation,health ins...etc...Thank-you.

1. no
2. you will probably be a shuttle driver in gbo pay by miles when driving and hr when dock. ( i don't think gbo works that much on the dock)
3. i think start pay .4550 cpm top .5035 around 18.00 hr top 20.00 top out in 18 months
4. first year 1 week vac and 5 personal days, second year 2 weeks vac 5 personal day. l/h vac pay 1/52 of you gross
5. health insurance good ( imo) and not expensive

hope that helps

I was talking with another line driver and we both agree that this was a "knee-jerk" reaction. They haven't thought of all the implications that this policy would impose on not only the drivers, but dispatch, central and city, management, sales, etc. We live in the age of technology people. Years ago, it may have been feasible to not talk on the phone. Today, not gonna work. I, like many of you, use my cell phone as an energy boost. When I get sleepy, I call somebody to get the juices flowing again. Other drivers call me for the same reason. Do you actually think that upper management and sales reps are going to follow this policy? No, sales reps are going to continue to take orders over the phone, that is, "Hey Customer, what can I bring you for lunch?", or "How many pro labels or BOL's do you need?, "Wait, let me check my dayplanner". And all of this while driving 60-65 mph down the highway! In a cut-throat business like we are in, the one that wins most of the time is the one that cuts the throat first. They aren't going to risk losing a customer because they had to pull over to call. Time is of the essence! Rest assured that they will make an example out of somebody, but sooner or later they will wake up and smell the coffee. When freight is late, or central needs to re-route a driver after dispatch, or the city dispatchers have a customer on the phone wanting to know where the driver is and dispatch has to wait for that driver to safely pull off the road to answer his/her Nextel.....it will go away. Maybe not the policy, because now the blame for ANY accident can't be put on the company's shoulders, but I don't think said policy will be enforced until "after the fact" Just my opinion.

[quote author=jack knife link=topic=79899.msg828570#msg828570 date=1273494174]
1. no
2. you will probably be a shuttle driver in gbo pay by miles when driving and hr when dock. ( i don't think gbo works that much on the dock)
3. i think start pay .4550 cpm top .5035 around 18.00 hr top 20.00 top out in 18 months
4. first year 1 week vac and 5 personal days, second year 2 weeks vac 5 personal day. l/h vac pay 1/52 of you gross
5. health insurance good ( imo) and not expensive

hope that helps
[/quote]

Thank-you Jack Knife, that was very helpful. I have no problem being a shuttle driver if i'm getting mileage pay while running the road.
I would stay at Wilson if they paid that way. I still run road driver miles now,but for a lot less money than a road driver gets paid.
everything else you said sounds pretty good. I guess i'll just set back and wait to see if SAIA calls. thanks again for the quick response,and drive careful.

This is nothing new to the trucking industry just keeping the insurance company happy. All this does is put the blame on YOU if their is an accident.