Pitt-Ohio | New Roanoke Terminal

Awesome to see. Also very reassuring for those of us hired on in the Teal's terminals. Hopefully we'll see more press releases of new terminals up this way lol. Good things are happening here and that's something to be proud of in today's world.

As always, they spare no expense when remodeling and modernizing an older facility to bring it up to operational and environmental standards, in this case a former Central Freight Lines terminal. This upgrade even included wash bay, I wonder what it will be used for? https://pittohio.com/myPittOhio/news/2023/pitt-ohio-relocates-roanoke-va-terminal
That looks like a nice remodel, It didn't look pretty in pictures from when it was owned by Central Freight Lines. Are the white trucks in the pictures rentals ? When we decided to open in Roanoke you guys bought that terminal. We looked at but being new there didn't think we needed something that big.

Awesome to see. Also very reassuring for those of us hired on in the Teal's terminals. Hopefully we'll see more press releases of new terminals up this way lol. Good things are happening here and that's something to be proud of in today's world.
I heard the New Penn Terminal in Buffalo, but who knows how long till they actually move out with the current fight going on with the COO and Teamsters. I also heard the Old Land Air terminal in Albany but that was a while ago. We all wonder if they will rename Ross to Pitt in the future

I heard the New Penn Terminal in Buffalo, but who knows how long till they actually move out with the current fight going on with the COO and Teamsters. I also heard the Old Land Air terminal in Albany but that was a while ago. We all wonder if they will rename Ross to Pitt in the future
We're not moving anytime soon. Computer servers are coming and it looks like wifi is getting installed soon. They own the land behind our terminal so adding doors is a real possibility and moving down the road is possible to. From what I heard they own 70% of Ross Express. They have 3 or 4 drivers that come to Utica every night. I've been told Pitt name only goes on 100% owned and that makes sense. Yellow is a mess and Buffalo is front and center with 3 terminals and 2 of them right next door to each other. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

On another note Pyle passed on the Holland terminal cause of all things the sewer and drainage are screwed according to my friends at Pyle. They went out and looked at the terminal with the maintenance people and it quickly turned into a hard pass. The retrofit was would be into the millions. Pitt may have passed on the New Penn terminal. We have a shop and land behind our current terminal so new or adding on is possible either way. The New Penn terminal doesn't have a shop so who knows at this point what's going to happen.

That looks like a nice remodel, It didn't look pretty in pictures from when it was owned by Central Freight Lines. Are the white trucks in the pictures rentals ? When we decided to open in Roanoke you guys bought that terminal. We looked at but being new there didn't think we needed something that big.
US Cargo has white tractors and straight trucks but I think I see a Freightliner Century or Columbia which I would think is an outside carrier. Looks like Ward is making a pickup or delivery as well.

Wash bay isn't being used, I think there were some issues with that. They actually was going to put in bumper pads and heat, but the dock doors open to the outside. The white tractors and one green one are Wards. We are sharing space with them while our old terminal is somewhat remodeled, then they will move. Definitely a major improvement over what we had.

On another note Pyle passed on the Holland terminal cause of all things the sewer and drainage are screwed according to my friends at Pyle. They went out and looked at the terminal with the maintenance people and it quickly turned into a hard pass. The retrofit was would be into the millions. Pitt may have passed on the New Penn terminal. We have a shop and land behind our current terminal so new or adding on is possible either way. The New Penn terminal doesn't have a shop so who knows at this point what's going to happen.
Pyle passed on the Holland- too much money for a building that is major disrepair, Even with NP terminal not having a shop it looks to be a decent building. Is your current yard Gravel ?

Wash bay isn't being used, I think there were some issues with that. They actually was going to put in bumper pads and heat, but the dock doors open to the outside. The white tractors and one green one are Wards. We are sharing space with them while our old terminal is somewhat remodeled, then they will move. Definitely a major improvement over what we had.
Must be weird having Ward sharing the building temporarily

Pyle passed on the Holland- too much money for a building that is major disrepair, Even with NP terminal not having a shop it looks to be a decent building. Is your current yard Gravel ?
Yes it's gravel. We haven't heard anything about that terminal other than the rumor floating around. It's a nice looking terminal no doubt.

Norristown has the same type of doors where bumper pads would be useless without a short extension of some kind between the building and the edge of the dock. WSH has heat but also has 25-30 foot ceilings. I was told they used it briefly but it cost several thousand dollars a month to run so they abandoned the idea. Bumper pads would help not only for some protection from the cold but also to cut down on the rain and snow that finds it’s way onto the dock.

Col had bumpers and heat installed last summer/fall.
I was talking about heat with one of our dockworkers this week and he said both bumpers and heat are planned for WSH, and they’re considering heated forklift seats as well. The decision is driven at least in part by turnover which doesn’t surprise me. I think most of those who apply for the job assume that being indoors means there will be climate control, imagine their surprise when they find themselves using a squeegee to claer rain and snow from the dock.