ABF | New termanels

John2014

TB Lurker
Credits
South bend in and Indianapolis In getting new termanels this year. South Bend moving in oct.or nov.to Elkart In. And Indianapolis moving to wightstown In. Some time around end of Nov. Or first of Dec.

Thank you, John for keeping us up to date.........

South Bend to Elkhart is what? about 20 miles? Are they getting a better real estate deal, or will this allow a road run to make service?

Thank you, John for keeping us up to date.........

South Bend to Elkhart is what? about 20 miles? Are they getting a better real estate deal, or will this allow a road run to make service?
There will be more room on the dock for the “New Idea” in freight movement. That is loading “Platforms” on the dock then pushing the entire platform into the trailer! What A Time Saver that will be!$?@&$!

There will be more room on the dock for the “New Idea” in freight movement. That is loading “Platforms” on the dock then pushing the entire platform into the trailer! What A Time Saver that will be!$?@&$!
Will that stop the freight from looking like it was put through a wood chipper? The last few months the freight is destroyed....

Will that stop the freight from looking like it was put through a wood chipper? The last few months the freight is destroyed....

We always used a freight cannon to load our outbound........I never found out the caliber, but it was pretty large!

I had made a suggestion that they raise the docks to 28' high and stood the trailers on end. Then they could load with a bobcat......and tamp it down flat.....

I sent that to SAM but I didn't get a reply.....
Heck.....I thought it would save time...

They are looking to drastically change they way they move freight.

We at Indy will move to a giant warehouse in Whitestown (an industrial area with many giant warehouses). It is supposed to be more square feet than Daytons dock. And this is for a 60 man city board and that includes dock.

What are we gonna do with a 600k plus square foot facility that will be heated to no less than 40 degrees in the winter?

We are part of a pilot program with south bend, er... I guess its now Elkhart. South bend/Elkhart will be first and we will follow shortly after.

So I'm still not clear about how this rack system works since we will have some sort of mechanism to push the racks on and off the trailers. If we are the pilots who will we send the racks to? How will they drag 20k lb racks out of a trailer? Many questions still need to be answered.

Not to mention this is the second time they have closed a terminal I was working at and moved it farther away. I personally will be up to a 75 minute drive (with no traffic but it will actually be through an area notorious for bad traffic)
Maybe they are trying to send me a message. I'm pretty dense sometimes.
Seriously Im kinda glad they are doing something different. Makes me thing they MIGHT want to stay in the LTL segment after all.
If if just wasn't so dang far away.

Sure seems like there are more surprises waiting for all of us.

We at Indy will move to a giant warehouse in Whitestown (an industrial area with many giant warehouses). It is supposed to be more square feet than Daytons dock. And this is for a 60 man city board and that includes dock.

What are we gonna do with a 600k plus square foot facility that will be heated to no less than 40 degrees in the winter?

We are part of a pilot program with south bend, er... I guess its now Elkhart. South bend/Elkhart will be first and we will follow shortly after.

So I'm still not clear about how this rack system works since we will have some sort of mechanism to push the racks on and off the trailers. If we are the pilots who will we send the racks to? How will they drag 20k lb racks out of a trailer? Many questions still need to be answered.

Not to mention this is the second time they have closed a terminal I was working at and moved it farther away. I personally will be up to a 75 minute drive (with no traffic but it will actually be through an area notorious for bad traffic)
Seriously Im kinda glad they are doing something different. Makes me thing they MIGHT want to stay in the LTL segment after all.

Indy is the only barn moving into this warehouse? Or are they going to combine terminal’s like Roadway did back in 2007 & failed miserably? Or maybe they will try to put all ArcBest brands under one roof & operate them separately (for now)?

Sounds like you live down south near Franklin maybe. I retire there 3 years ago. Wonder if the warehouse is on Indianapolis Blvd? If so that Blvd is 40 mph & the Whitestown Cops enforce it to the letter. Wonder if they will install racking to put some of the freight off the floor? Put all of it & UE in one building could make for a smoother dock operation. Wonder what they will do for a garage & fuel tanks? Bet ya they make it a large break bulk with that much square footage. von.

Indy is the only barn moving into this warehouse? Or are they going to combine terminal’s like Roadway did back in 2007 & failed miserably? Or maybe they will try to put all ArcBest brands under one roof & operate them separately (for now)?
Yes so far as they are telling us right now we will be the only business in there.

Sounds like you live down south near Franklin maybe. I retire there 3 years ago. Wonder if the warehouse is on Indianapolis Blvd? If so that Blvd is 40 mph & the Whitestown Cops enforce it to the letter. Wonder if they will install racking to put some of the freight off the floor? Put all of it & UE in one building could make for a smoother dock operation. Wonder what they will do for a garage & fuel tanks? Bet ya they make it a large break bulk with that much square footage. von.
I wish I lived near Franklin. That would be much closer. And its on the west side of the interstate kind of across from the loves truck stop. Dont know about fuel. There are two large bay doors with ground access for the shop to use. There are only 80 some doors and while they say this will drastically change how many doors an operation needs I wonder if that's enough for a break-bulk. Plus there is only a 15 acre drop lot that they are finishing right now. But yeah. Square footage is expensive. Gotta think they have something planned for it.

Im against the two tier pay but think about our livelihood's? This company does a lot of stupid stuff & i call them out on it, but to intentionally damage freight is wrong....

We are in the Union because we are....thinking professionals who care about the ramifications of unprofessionalism,....and want to be paid properly for ...caring professionally.

In other words,....if you're a highly paid Union employee,.....ACT like one........

Uncaring handling of freight is usually the result of callow, uncaring management.........A two-tier system is ...designed...to tell employees you're just...second-class....

Each employee has to make a personal decision of how proud they are of their own work,....in spite of uncaring management...
As Union jobs have more protection and mechanisms to advance,....even though management sees fit to discount their labors,....anyone working a Union freight job should be doing the best they can,......if for no reason other than to prove the point that Union employees are the best employees.

I wish I lived near Franklin. That would be much closer. And its on the west side of the interstate kind of across from the loves truck stop. Dont know about fuel. There are two large bay doors with ground access for the shop to use. There are only 80 some doors and while they say this will drastically change how many doors an operation needs I wonder if that's enough for a break-bulk. Plus there is only a 15 acre drop lot that they are finishing right now. But yeah. Square footage is expensive. Gotta think they have something planned for it.
You are still there, I am retired. So you will know it better than me. You know how critical the yard is. Hope it works. The yard bid might be the bid from hell, or not. I was in Brownsburg (319) & I liked it out there. Clean & good yard space. Not enough doors & way to close to each other, even more than 050. Change is different. Can be good or not. I think they are going to run a ::shit:: load of thru freight thru the new terminal. But, they have to staff it to make it work. Curious if ABF in Indy is paying full pay on new hires? No waiting for full boat? Good luck in the new place. von.

You are still there, I am retired. So you will know it better than me. You know how critical the yard is. Hope it works. The yard bid might be the bid from hell, or not. I was in Brownsburg (319) & I liked it out there. Clean & good yard space. Not enough doors & way to close to each other, even more than 050. Change is different. Can be good or not. I think they are going to run a :::shit::: load of thru freight thru the new terminal. But, they have to staff it to make it work. Curious if ABF in Indy is paying full pay on new hires? No waiting for full boat? Good luck in the new place. von.

No ... One year progression just like the contract says. Only a few locations getting the full pay right from the start.

Yes so far as they are telling us right now we will be the only business in there.
For now. The Fort has plans for a building that large. No way they move to that much square footage & keep ops the same. Like always, time will tell. In that area 20 bucks an hour to start on the dock only is a good gig. Not many other outfits can compete with that. von.

We are in the Union because we are....thinking professionals who care about the ramifications of unprofessionalism,....and want to be paid properly for ...caring professionally.

In other words,....if you're a highly paid Union employee,.....ACT like one........

Uncaring handling of freight is usually the result of callow, uncaring management.........A two-tier system is ...designed...to tell employees you're just...second-class....

Each employee has to make a personal decision of how proud they are of their own work,....in spite of uncaring management...
As Union jobs have more protection and mechanisms to advance,....even though management sees fit to discount their labors,....anyone working a Union freight job should be doing the best they can,......if for no reason other than to prove the point that Union employees are the best employees.

I have known people who retired & had very few positive accomplishments in their career. Instead they often boasted how much equipment or freight they damaged. I always wanted to be able to look back with some pride in the work I did. I didn't always get the changes in the contract I wanted but if I couldn't live with it I had the option to pursue a career in another field or with a different employer.
I remember trying for 20 years to get a clause in the contract before it was added. I worked with several men older & much wiser that I listened to & it made my job more rewarding.

I have known people who retired & had very few positive accomplishments in their career. Instead they often boasted how much equipment or freight they damaged. I always wanted to be able to look back with some pride in the work I did. I didn't always get the changes in the contract I wanted but if I couldn't live with it I had the option to pursue a career in another field or with a different employer.
I remember trying for 20 years to get a clause in the contract before it was added. I worked with several men older & much wiser that I listened to & it made my job more rewarding.

I'm going to toot my own horn here...... When I retired, I had TM's, dispatchers, B.A.'s and Union Presidents all sitting at the same table..........along with my most treasured co-workers, family and friends........

And,....this was within a year that I had an argument with management that resulted in a threat of firing for causing a work stoppage in my capacity as steward........

I'm proud of the fact that,....even if we weren't best friends,.....they respected what I stood for....Both management and Union.....

Their showing up at my retirement party,...was an affirmation of their respect for my ideals.....and maybe a little professional friendship...

....(....Now if I can arrange it that the same crowd shows up for my funeral,........along with the brass bands, circus elephants,....and minor local celebrities,.......I'll be really happy,....and dead...)....

My point is that I was proud of the work I did,...both as employee and steward,....and that other people recognized that......

As human beings.....we can ask for nothing more, to be satisfied that you did a good job.......

Now,....I've been married for 41 years...I asked my wife if I've been a good husband,......She said she'll let me know in twenty or so years......