ABF | New termanels

I have always envied people whose work lasted long after their lives ended. Engineers who design bridges, buildings etc. can see the results of their work late in their life. Physicians who save lives & make life better for others can see their accomplishments in their life time, especially when it is children's lives they save. Teachers leave wisdom that lasts for generations. Without them society would deteriorate. My work will only last till all the equipment I have worked on is recycled. One consolation is that I was able to provide for my family & my children have benefited from their education I have been able to fund by having a union pay scale job.

I have always envied people whose work lasted long after their lives ended. Engineers who design bridges, buildings etc. can see the results of their work late in their life. Physicians who save lives & make life better for others can see their accomplishments in their life time, especially when it is children's lives they save. Teachers leave wisdom that lasts for generations. Without them society would deteriorate. My work will only last till all the equipment I have worked on is recycled. One consolation is that I was able to provide for my family & my children have benefited from their education I have been able to fund by having a union pay scale job.
Your work has provided unseen work (or should be seen) in your children (if you have any) which I do. It has provided them with success in their own lives. And although the place I work for has had big hiccups in my time I see it has provided me and my whole family with relatively comfortable lives. And that's all I want.
We are also heros in our own little LTL world as we supply the country with their needs. And lives have been given in doing so. Don't underestimate yourself and us with the work we do. It's needed. And when done well and with some pride. That our unseen accomplishment.
This is not a dis to your post.
We don't see the bridges we built years later. But they are there.

Your work has provided unseen work (or should be seen) in your children (if you have any) which I do. It has provided them with success in their own lives. And although the place I work for has had big hiccups in my time I see it has provided me and my whole family with relatively comfortable lives. And that's all I want.
We are also heros in our own little LTL world as we supply the country with their needs. And lives have been given in doing so. Don't underestimate yourself and us with the work we do. It's needed. And when done well and with some pride. That our unseen accomplishment.
This is not a dis to your post.
We don't see the bridges we built years later. But they are there.
There are people who looked out for me years ago, that I wish I could go back and thank.

I'm going to toot my own horn here...... When I retired, I had TM's, dispatchers, B.A.'s and Union Presidents all sitting at the same table..........along with my most treasured co-workers, family and friends........

And,....this was within a year that I had an argument with management that resulted in a threat of firing for causing a work stoppage in my capacity as steward........

I'm proud of the fact that,....even if we weren't best friends,.....they respected what I stood for....Both management and Union.....

Their showing up at my retirement party,...was an affirmation of their respect for my ideals.....and maybe a little professional friendship...

....(....Now if I can arrange it that the same crowd shows up for my funeral,........along with the brass bands, circus elephants,....and minor local celebrities,.......I'll be really happy,....and dead...)....

My point is that I was proud of the work I did,...both as employee and steward,....and that other people recognized that......

As human beings.....we can ask for nothing more, to be satisfied that you did a good job.......

Now,....I've been married for 41 years...I asked my wife if I've been a good husband,......She said she'll let me know in twenty or so years......
The very fact that they all showed up at your retirement party speaks volumes, not to mention a show of respect. The Priest at the church where I go to Mass included these words in a sermon he gave many years ago...”Great people leave behind legacies for others to take up.” Sounds like you’ve done exactly that, canary!

The very fact that they all showed up at your retirement party speaks volumes, not to mention a show of respect. The Priest at the church where I go to Mass included these words in a sermon he gave many years ago...”Great people leave behind legacies for others to take up.” Sounds like you’ve done exactly that, canary!

Thank you, Brother,....but don’t make me blush!
Ruins my naturally cherubic complexion,...and tends to make me look more guilty......

Thank you, Brother,....but don’t make me blush!
Ruins my naturally cherubic complexion,...and tends to make me look more guilty......
Years ago my Uncles drinking buddy cheeks got all flush when he was loaded.
This brings up some 40 plus year old memories. Both were union. One was Irish.
Not my uncle.
But I do remember that in downtown. Tiger stadium didn't have a parking lot. So we parked at the Irish pubs known by my uncle. And his freind.
My uncle wouldn't park anywhere else. He was a union carpenter. Good man too.. Both were. I was young but had a blast with those at the time "old guys".

He was guilty when his face looked "cherub". And he slept in the basement when it was. That was his doghouse. (it was nice though. Had everything)

Years ago my Uncles drinking buddy cheeks got all flush when he was loaded.
This brings up some 40 plus year old memories. Both were union. One was Irish.
Not my uncle.
But I do remember that in downtown. Tiger stadium didn't have a parking lot. So we parked at the Irish pubs known by my uncle. And his freind.
My uncle wouldn't park anywhere else. He was a union carpenter. Good man too.. Both were. I was young but had a blast with those at the time "old guys".

He was guilty when his face looked "cherub". And he slept in the basement when it was. That was his doghouse. (it was nice though. Had everything)
One day I would like to visit Comerica Park.

Before or after your excursion to Colorado? :smile new:
Who knows what the future holds.
F5hI4f3.jpg

One day I would like to visit Comerica Park.
Mud and my you wouldn't believe the inside of Comercia so much for the little ones to do, not a bad seat in the house, way beck when my dad/uncles/and kids would go to Tiger stadium for opening day every year and I have done that since with my 2 boys and 6 grandkids. We also hit up the Mudhens the same way. Sorry to say but my 1 granddaughter is a "Cleveland" fan don't know how that came about so we make her sit at the end of the row.

any new info on the 2 terminals moving in IN. what ever happened to the breakbulk in Memphis TN?

If you are talking about the plan to move LR freight to Memphis & close LR it did not happen. If you look at the website there was Team Memphis/LR information section with updates. There has been no updates in the last few years. Roy Slagle was the instigator of that proposal & he was given the boot. It appeared to me to be retaliation by him toward LR. There is not enough room in Memphis to handle the freight volume that combining the two terminals would have brought. The company did purchase two lots adjoining the terminals that had old warehouses. The old buildings had asbestos & it adds to the cost of demolition.
I can see the company wanting a large break bulk there when I 69 is completed.