SAIA | New to Saia, what should I expect?

Tager71

TB Lurker
Credits
Getting ready to start at Saia very soon. I would appriciate any good and bad info. on what I can expect on my 1st: day, week, month and 6 months. I have been reading the posts here before I decided to post myself. There seems to be both good and bad alike. Everyone has their own experiences and opinions, I would like to get an idea of day to day for a p/d driver. :banana:

A lot will depend on the size of the terminal as to what you have to do. The smaller the terminal, the more everyone has to do. The smaller terminals also cover a lot more territory on their p&d runs. The major metro areas will usually have enough personnel to split the dock work and driving. That, however, is subject to local management. Hopefully, you have had some experience in making deliveries and pickups. Be prepared to work hard when business is good. The company is slowly shifting to electronics in the cab (p&d using hand held equipment) so be prepared to learn that. If you are unfamiliar with the area you are working in, get maps, take notes, learn landmarks, ask questions and ask more questions before you get in a jam. Be aware of where the truck and trailer are at all times. Remember your first 90 days is a probationary period and conduct yourself accordingly. Learn the procedures for your job and it will go easier for you.

BT, Chicken, thanks for your replies. Chicken - ALWAYS! BT - the terminal is CIN and I have been driving over 10 years in this area. I am currently working as a shuttle, delivery and yard driver so tight backing and moving in busy yards is easy. This is my first LTL position though. I do not feel the driving is my worry but instead all the politics that I have read about here and on other sights. I also realize that dissatisfied people are more likely to offer negativity than satisfied ones. Positive people usually are less likely to bad mouth something their happy with. How good is the insurance and beneifits? What is the vacation schedule like? (1week after 1 year, 2 weeks after?? and so on)
What should the "NEW" guy be on the watch for?

Dunno how the operation is set up there. If you aren't working the dock some, then the routine is usually something along the lines of clock in, be assigned to a load, find something to pull it with (most likely dispatch can take care of that for you). The standard is off the yard in 20 minutes. A lot of times that won't happen for various reasons (talk to some of the more experienced drivers about that). The deliveries are supposed to be routed by computer, but keep an open mind about that. In this business, a lot of freight suddenly becomes "hot" instead of the usual delivery expectations.

Once deliveries have been completed and maybe your lunch break has been taken, then pick ups are started (unless you wind up being able to do both at the same stop, sometimes it happens). Depending on local operations, trailers that have been spotted at customers for them to load will have to be picked up after pickups are completed. A lot of how all this comes together will depend on start times etc.

Benefits take effect after the probationary period is completed. One is usually vacation eligible after completing one year of service. Exact details can be explained by terminal management as to how the process works on that. Insurance benefits become effective after the probationary period. Premiums are deducted weekly. The costs and what you may sign up for should be explained by terminal management.

Be aware that each insured has an annual deductible and the split on the paying for procedures,etc is 80/20 beyond the deductible. Dr. office visits are a flat fee. There is also an annual deductible for medications as well. Insurance is managed by United Healthcare.

After completion of 10 years of service health insurance premiums are paid by the company. If you need dental insurance you will have premiums for that regardless of the number of years of service.

Since you are familiar with the area and have driving experience the biggest learning curve will be learning company procedures and policies. Get past the probationary period and the job will be a bit more secure so long as one works well.

As for the politics, every job has that and it's just part of the background noise all deal with on a daily basis. There are those who always try to "beat" the system, there are those who will always want all the work they can get, regardless, there are those who will work as little as possible. Job satisfaction has to come from within. It does help to get positive feedback from the managers, though. Get to know your fellow employees as soon as you can, and learn to find out what you can do to make their job a little easier. That in turn, in most cases will be reciprocated.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: