Averitt | New Truck

Hey ICE.... if your working tonite...I'm parked in front of the KNX shop,directly across from Dispatch....I'm waiting for a load coming in tonite.....IN MY NEW RECENTLY REPAIRED PROSTAR!

Sorry Jeepman, I've been off since Thursday morning, and fyi, overweight tickets are just one of the very few things that go against our personal CSA score.

Well another chapter to the story.....Got a LtL out of KNX to NOR....trl 638600...22327lbs....3/4 fuel...str 12000..drv 26360..trl 19960..grs 58320, then got a second NOR to ORL..trl 536960...26692lbs...3/4 fuel.. str 12140...dr 26580...trl 24440...grs 63160. To get on with it...the truck rides and drives as good if not better than any Volvo I've driven...Better than the Cascadia, Columbia and the Pete. The ENGINE 400 ISX ST is another story....to say it SUCKS is being KIND! Talk about GUTLESS, when I've pulled LTL's in the past...with every truck I've had at AVRT you didn't know it was back there....HELL with the Cascadia I barely lost speed going up Jellico, Mont Eagle or even Fancy Gap....this thing... going up the hill going south on 75 just north of Chattanooga, I went from 65mph to less than 45mph....going south down to ATL this thing was a PUKER....this is a RIGHT LANE truck....I can only imagine what a DOG this thing is going to be with a BIG BOY load.
The 62 on the foot feed and 65 on the cruise is a very DANGEROUS thing, also makes the truck very tiring to drive. The transmission is the SWEETEST smooth shifting auto I've driven...too bad it's mated to a SORRY motor. The COMFORT PRO APU is loud and provides marginal cooling during the day, having to reset everything after I shut the truck off is a PITA. Everything else about the truck has met or exceeded my expectations.....with the lousy motor, heavy front axle, the split speeds and the Comfort Pro APU I rate this truck as AVERAGE AT BEST!...I recommend...If you are MARGINALLY happy with your current ride....turn down the PROSTAR! I was happy with my Cascadia, just was looking for a change...This is MY LAST AVRT TRUCK!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Jeepman, I've been off since Thursday morning, and fyi, overweight tickets are just one of the very few things that go against our personal CSA score.
Have you not seen the endless list of infractions they can burn you for? This is not a "very few" list. Click on each category in this list to see the "very few" ENDLESS list of possible points for ridiculous and silly and nitpick violations. We have no recourse. This is but one list that is available.
I, for one, am sick to death of the endless list of regulations that we as "unskilled labor" are subjected too. Between having your neck measured in a physical to electronic logs (big brother) and this CSA crap to $175 for a CDL renewal and now if you don't send your medical certification in the Govt. will reduce your CDL and it's endorsements back to a general drivers license with a stipulation that you will have to start your CDL acquisition over again. You think this is very few and that it is fun?

I am so damn sick of the trucking business. What was once a fun occupation has turned into a daily grind that I truly loathe. As close as I am to retirement, I can honestly say that I don't think that my almost 4 decades of it will be my last job. Unskilled labor...give me a f'ng break. No wonder the younger generation looks at the trucking industry and says "NO THANKS". I can't say that I blame them a bit.

CSA Points

I know about the multitude of things that result in CSA points being assessed against your CDL and the company, including fines. You are right driving truck USED to be fun and a pretty good career, now it's a PITA. The government and a lot of companies think we the drivers are the enemy, knuckle dragging Neanderthal's who must be lead by the hand and monitored constantly as we are not capable of making even the simplest of decisions. Right now it's just a job, I'm glad I'll be 62 in December, then it will be in 3 month increments, when AVRT retires my new truck, I'm done, THIS IS THE LAST ONE. Hey Neal street move the 5th wheel frame back 2 inches, let me tweak it to the proper position afterwards, and I'll put up with the rest. LTL ...I'll never go back to paper logs, along with the Auto Trans, it makes my life easier. LOOKING FOWARD TO THE DAY WHEN I MT THE TRUCK FOR THE LAST TIME!

My thoughts on CSA, all I can do is all I can do. I pretrip my truck and trailer, if a tire looks questionable I show them to the the shop and roll with the mechanics name on my inspection sheet in case of infraction. I know that won't prevent a ticket but my rear is clear and I will sleep the same. I have the best pulling truck ever, one of the few 10 speeds before the auto's rolled out, great paying run, great bunch of co-workers, and my Qualcomm does all my communication for me. My logs are so clearly explained that no inspector would ever question my actions, and for the record, this September will be my 25th year in trucking and I have never had my log book checked.

Some states watch the steering weight if they have a lot of dump trucks running around with a zillion tons of sand,Etc. I think Indiana used to go by a formula of 1K per inch of rim width???

International has had the heavy steer problems dating abck to seventies whern I was a young dumb freight hauler. The company got a new group of COE Transtar tandem,day cabs. I remember one instance with doubles and light load the steer was over fourteen and and tandems were only 16,000. With no PS the drove and rode horribly, They eventually took the rear ends out from under them and put new single axle rears which cost a fortune.

These were also the first trucks we had wit ABS. The lights for ABS started coming on from almost day one. Easy fix,they took bulbs out of dash which stopped write ups. After the started locking up on one application and next stop you had no brakes they unwired all the ABS brakes and replaced foot valves.

Moral of the story if there is one is that the company trucks have always had screw ups and probably always will as long as the maintenance Mgrs.
know more than a large group of experienced drivers that live in these things daily!! All the best
As some said the split speed is to encourage you to use the cruise which they will tell you is much smarter than the driver. At least you can run 65. Ours were all set at 60 mph but the big lure there was to use cruise as ON cruise the DT 60 series developed 320 HP while off cruise it was 270 HP. still 60 mph either way!!! Excuse the rant!!

Yea they asked me if I wanted one but I'll stay with my volvo...having said that I never had a weight problem with my International and that was with 250 gal tanks...