FedEx Freight | New Volvo programming

cokemn

TB Lurker
Credits
I guess Fedex is monkeying around with the truck computers.Took my truck to shop last night because every time it pulled a hill the engine fan came on and it seemed like it had less power also.I told the mechanic I thought the turbo was going out.He told me it was the new program the downloaded in the computer to save fuel and I was about the fourth driver to come by and complain about it.Just curious if you guys have had the new software downloaded?

the one I have is a kw. and it must have been screwed with too when you run under 1400 rpm it puffs smoke very badly and sputters tell u get the rpms above 1500. so how is this good.they want u to shift progressively and u cant if u try u r always grabbing a lower gear to keep your speed up and the power what a joke. you cant climb a mt. to save your butt. so its just not the volvo's it all of them.

If they save a half gallon of fuel, it's worth all the damage they cause to the engine and transmission and environment.

There are only two reasons the fan clutch should be engaging.... When the engine is running warm or the A/C is on..... If the fan clutch is engaging at a normal operating temp (180-195) with the A/C off then your ride has a bad sensor that is telling the fan clutch to engage......With the fan clutch engaged you will loose power at the rear wheels, as it takes 20-25HP to turn that BIG fan...Had that problem with my ride turned out to be a bad sensor in the A/C unit.

Bigdaddy, Your ride may need some shop time as well. Engine sputters and smokes below 1,400RPMs. Two things come to mind.... A bad injector that is not spraying the fuel into the cylinder properly will cause a engine to miss and smoke at lower RPMs (smoke is diesel that is not completely burned)... When the RPMs come up so do the cylinder temperatures causing all the fuel to burn and the miss to go away..Or..A bad EGR valve that is simply starving the engine of air at lower RPMs.

All that makes sense but the mechanic told me the new program in my engine computer was causing it.My guess is that they turned the power down so much that the engine is working way to hard.I wish they would put it back the way it was.

I wouldn't trust most FedEx mechanics with fixing my ink pen, let alone a complex machine with 7 ECM computer systems.

jinxs I think u are right talked to por mechanics and he said that was not right. not complaining its what they want to do. but I know the way its running is not right. as soon as mine truck comes back they will look at this one.

well it a Fedex way some expert from the top never dr truck them self sit there paper and pencil thing o.k cut this out,that out uhmm yes we save feel bucks here oh yeah !!great .I been here 19years never see 6 trks all have engine blow up in smoke in 3 weeks we have a great management team they all fearless leader lets save a few gallons on fuel and blow up an engine, replace an engine much cheaper.Wow do we have to go to college to figure that out.It the new program cut fuel and the hp out so you can get your arm work out and your mouth practice of say F*%$ S*@! since you pull a set of MT can't even pass any body.

If ya wanna see if the EGR screwing up do this. When you pretrip your truck and its still cold, turn on your key to the run position but dont start it. Give it a minute to let the EGR valve open, then unplug the EGR valve. Go ahead and run it on your run and see if it runs better. It will throw a code, but when you get back home plug the EGR back in and when they hook it up to the computer it will show as an inactive code and you have no idea how it got there.

It is not worth your job to mess with any truck, My truck is horrible, I just sit back, stay in the right lane and listen to XM

Mine is smoking so bad now that you cannot read the "R" in the number anymore. It is one of the KW's with the stack in front of the faring and it has turned the top of the faring BLACK!

I think they are putting it on all the trucks..mine was due service and when I went to pick it up the check engine light came on. Shop said they had put the wrong code in again.

They told me they don't even enter the codes, they said they hook it up to the computer and the codes come in automagically...

If ya wanna see if the EGR screwing up do this. When you pretrip your truck and its still cold, turn on your key to the run position but dont start it. Give it a minute to let the EGR valve open, then unplug the EGR valve. Go ahead and run it on your run and see if it runs better. It will throw a code, but when you get back home plug the EGR back in and when they hook it up to the computer it will show as an inactive code and you have no idea how it got there.
Working on fedex's truck like this is the fastest way to get fired ..other than lying ...don't

Maybe one of the shirt and tie programmers that run the model at a chair they ride daily should see how it pulls in real life with a driver and set on in traffic or going up a hill in the mountains. Ever need to get out out of the way and can't because you don't have the power , safety ?

I was told it was for fuel mileage but I run the hills and I use more fuel

ussually what happens reprogram for fuel mileage and you end up getting worse than if they just left them alone from the factory.....