XPO | Newbie coming aboard with a few questions

peckerwood

TB Lurker
Credits
I will be starting my new career with con way in a few weeks with a few questions to ask. I have never worked ltl, been over the road for 3 years, how big of a change is this going to be? What about 401k, health insurance, vacation time, sick days or personal days, work day hours? I had my interview yesterday and the man was really great and touched base on all these issues but im sure some of you guys could trim all this down for me. I'm a bit nervous about the change, but also very excited. What about the paper work? I have unloaded my share of trucks but never loaded trucks what can i expect with this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

[quote author=semo63936 link=topic=79987.msg828385#msg828385 date=1273425186]
I will be starting my new career with con way in a few weeks with a few questions to ask. I have never worked ltl, been over the road for 3 years, how big of a change is this going to be? What about 401k, health insurance, vacation time, sick days or personal days, work day hours? I had my interview yesterday and the man was really great and touched base on all these issues but im sure some of you guys could trim all this down for me. I'm a bit nervous about the change, but also very excited. What about the paper work? I have unloaded my share of trucks but never loaded trucks what can i expect with this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Lots of questions...

But for the most part all these things will be explained and become clearer as you go further in the process.

Just ask lots of questions...you will get answers.

The paperwork thing is changing. You are coming on at the right time. The company is changing to an automated system that is replacing the old way of doing things...the transition will not be easy for the oldsters... but for the newbies..you will be farther ahead as you will not be indoctrinated into 'old' way of doing things.

Bottom line...keep your mouth shut...except for questions...disregard all the BS that others like myself have a tendency to rant about..and keep your eyes and ears open.

We want you to part of the solution...knowledge is power...learn as much as you can. Ask lots of questions...be sure of what you are doing beforehand...it saves the headaches of fixing things later...

You will do well...and welcome aboard...

Your life will never be the same.

Rat

[quote author=Rat link=topic=79987.msg828396#msg828396 date=1273426499]
[quote author=semo63936 link=topic=79987.msg828385#msg828385 date=1273425186]
[/quote]

Lots of questions...

But for the most part all these things will be explained and become clearer as you go further in the process.

Just ask lots of questions...you will get answers.

The paperwork thing is changing. You are coming on at the right time. The company is changing to an automated system that is replacing the old way of doing things...the transition will not be easy for the oldsters... but for the newbies..you will be farther ahead as you will not be indoctrinated into 'old' way of doing things.

Bottom line...keep your mouth shut...except for questions...disregard all the BS that others like myself have a tendency to rant about..and keep your eyes and ears open.

We want you to part of the solution...knowledge is power...learn as much as you can. Ask lots of questions...be sure of what you are doing beforehand...it saves the headaches of fixing things later...

You will do well...and welcome aboard...

Your life will never be the same.

Rat
[/quote]Now THAT is a happy driver lol

Welcome aboard. Although not perfect Conway is a good place to work at. I'll be honest with you thoug, the first couple of years will be tough. You will be placed on the extra board and untill you get enough seniority to hold down a bid that's were you'll stay. On the extra board youre hours will bounce around quite a bit. I don't know wich terminal you are at but if you are at a small terminal being on the extra board means you will be working nights or days wich can really hard on your life. bigger terminals have two boards, one for nights and one for days wich will make it easier on you. The chance for you to make a good living is there but you will have to work for it. There will be more dock work than anything else in the begining. As you get more and more strap it will get easier.
The company quit matching our 401 last year so it will be just your contributions untill they start matching again. I'm not quite sure about our vacation since they just changed that policy also. I dont know when you will start accruing. The things I like about working here is that you will be home every day, weekend and holidays. If you are coming from over the road i'm sure you will appreciate this.

Don't worry about anything. Just steer towards the problem and don't hit anything or anyone and you are going to do great. Welcome aboard,good luck, and have a safe trip.

Its going to be very different then over the road. For one thing, get used to driving a forklift because you will probably be driving that much more than a truck. If they have you running linehaul you can make some good money but expect to work long hours at night. Its an ok job, but again, if your coming from over the road and used to just driving most of the day its going to be an adjustment because you will probably be working the dock most of your day.

[quote author=cmsdock link=topic=79987.msg828733#msg828733 date=1273538264]
Does Conway help dock workers who want to drive get their cdl?
[/quote]

Yes, it's called the Apprentice Program, and takes about 12 weeks to complete.