Yellow | Newbie starting line haul in Wheeling

I think you are going to the Holland Wheeling terminal but watch out I'm hearing Holland McCook and Wheeling will be merged into 309's Road Driver Seniority list soon.

I think you are going to the Holland Wheeling terminal but watch out I'm hearing Holland McCook and Wheeling will be merged into 309's Road Driver Seniority list soon.
In my opinion.... all terminals will be merging.... so what is the big deal???

It's not like it is a secret.

I'm thinking that is what merging several companies into one is about.

Get use to it..... there's nothing anyone can do about it.... other than quit.

I was told I would be home every weekend, but I have been seeing that I might be home more than that. Is that accurate?
I was told I would be home every weekend, but I have been seeing that I might be home more than that. Is that accurate?
It all depends. I know that Yellow wants to keep some road drivers “teams”. So that might be true for those guys. I know that Yellow is trying to turn most of their system into turns. So when you do a turn, Yes you will be home every single day. As of right now they do have some laydowns. Where you drive to another terminal you go to a hotel and spend the day or night. Then you drive back home. So you’ll be home every other night.

It all depends. I know that Yellow wants to keep some road drivers “teams”. So that might be true for those guys. I know that Yellow is trying to turn most of their system into turns. So when you do a turn, Yes you will be home every single day. As of right now they do have some laydowns. Where you drive to another terminal you go to a hotel and spend the day or night. Then you drive back home. So you’ll be home every other night.
At the use to be... Holland side....we are still different from yeller for now....pack a bag for 6 days and be prepared to be out the whole 6 days.

At the use to be... Holland side....we are still different from yeller for now....pack a bag for 6 days and be prepared to be out the whole 6 days.
Find a better company! Yellow hasn’t been a freight company in 40 yrs! As soon as they sell off a of usf assets! It’s over! Bankruptcy!!
they probably jus bleed the heck outta the employees with concessional measures ... if im correct yellow doesn't pay full union scale, the benefits aren't full scale and the pension sucks unlike UPS and ABF ...

Hello, I am excited to be training at YRC and beginning to work line haul in the next few weeks at the Wheeling, IL location. I am a newbie to trucking in general and a little nervous. I would like to know what to expect what working line haul out of Wheeling is like. Any advice for a newbie?
Welcome to "Romper Room". If you have operational questions, ask a Steward. YRC Freight is packed full of disgruntled "breakroom lawyers". You are starting at a good time of year. Go to as many destinations as you can. Being familiar with locations will be invaluable once the snowflakes fly. The odds are the majority of your trips will be east. There are 3 significant "lake effect" snow belts going to Cleveland. NEVER try to be a hero. If you are not comfortable with the road conditions, STOP THE TRUCK!

they probably jus bleed the heck outta the employees with concessional measures ... if im correct yellow doesn't pay full union scale, the benefits aren't full scale and the pension sucks unlike UPS and ABF ...
But they do still pay in to pension unlike other scab company's

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no change to the contribution rate of Yellow Corporation Teamsters pensions.
Actually , they originally were putting in 15 dollars a day when they started contributing again. Now it's 21.30 a day so comes out to 106.50 a week. A tad over 30% of the full contribution rate $ 348

Actually , they originally were putting in 15 dollars a day when they started contributing again. Now it's 21.30 a day so comes out to 106.50 a week. A tad over 30% of the full contribution rate $ 348
I know Western States contribute well over $2/hr to 401-k, but exact amount escapes me. Should be close to $3/hr; making it similar to the $21.30.

More than a scab company pays
Yes, it is disappointing to be stuck at this lower rate for so long, but it is all money that the company contributed. I still believe that there has to be some contribution rate, less than $348, that gets YRC employees the " early and out" benefits back . Now that Central States supposedly becomes solvent with the money from the government, the restrictions to certain groups seems like less and less of an argument. I mean, there is no longer a 30 and out , pension benefit is all based on 1% accrual.

Sure there is always something.

We had drivers quit in some companies years ago because of the hills. Grinding up and over the same steep hills was routine until their first winter. They quit then.

What they did not learn in the situation was those east coast hills were tiny. Hardly worth noticing. So a little sliding dont hurt none.
US 40 in western Maryland is worth noticing.

The thing to keep in mind at UPS is that package drivers start there young. And gain seniority. And they can be trained as the class A feeder driver when they want or if company desires.
Meaning that when they get trained and take feeder job, their seniority stays and they bump junior guys possibly to layoff, and maybe to never return. We had guys go there. It's great money. And gets better..But you might get bumped whenever package guys train and bump in. And you may have acquired 5-10 years seniority and they come and bump you off. They might have 20 years when trained for Class A.
And next thing you know, you’re sleeper team. Uh, no thanks.