NFL Hall Of Famer Mike Ditka: I Wouldn't Want My Child To Play Football

I'm on the fence. I only played up to HS and can only imagine how things intensify in college and pros.

My concerns are more with the coaches and people putting pressure on the players etc. I think the equipment will only get better and better along with rule changes.

I played.. My son played.. But I left it up to him to play or not.. I knew he would, just by the way he was, just like the old man, but much faster and stronger.. 6'5"/240 as a junior...
Good size.

I played against John Thornton who later played for WVU and then drafted by the Titans then played for the Bengals.

He was 6'5" 305lbs as a junior. He was a TE and even with 3 guys covering him he was hard to cover. I used to have an upper cut move where I'd hit a guy in the stomach. It looked alot like the rip rush move... never get flagged for it. I was 5'11" 163lbs so I needed something a little extra. Haha

I hit him with everything I had and he patted me on the top of the head like a gentle giant and said "Dang white boy... chill out."

Anyhow... 6"5" 240lbs is a good size.

Good size.

I played against John Thornton who later played for WVU and then drafted by the Titans then played for the Bengals.

He was 6'5" 305lbs as a junior. He was a TE and even with 3 guys covering him he was hard to cover. I used to have an upper cut move where I'd hit a guy in the stomach. It looked alot like the rip rush move... never get flagged for it. I was 5'11" 163lbs so I needed something a little extra. Haha

I hit him with everything I had and he patted me on the top of the head like a gentle giant and said "Dang white boy... chill out."

Anyhow... 6"5" 240lbs is a good size.
Sounds like you might have gotten to him...LOL.. My son is 285 now...LOL.. And loves his Dad....

My son stopped playing football after his 9th grade season and I'm glad. His brains and academic future is more important than any football season could ever be. Plus the politics in kids sports is so out of control that they don't play the best kids anyway, they play those who have proper connections. How's that saying go (?) "It's not who you know, it's who you blow?" The risk/reward isn't good enough to urge the kids to continue playing football. I'm glad my son quit playing since the only thing that I received with all of my awards is a sore body later in life.

My son stopped playing football after his 9th grade season and I'm glad. His brains and academic future is more important than any football season could ever be. Plus the politics in kids sports is so out of control that they don't play the best kids anyway, they play those who have proper connections. How's that saying go (?) "It's not who you know, it's who you blow?" The risk/reward isn't good enough to urge the kids to continue playing football. I'm glad my son quit playing since the only thing that I received with all of my awards is a sore body later in life.
Every high school coach has been put in the position to seek out the next 5 star... My son was graded by Rivals and 247 and came very close to a 3 star.. His footwork on offense hurt him not making it.. But when you're 6'5" and weighs 240 and wears a 15 shoe, the footwork ain't always going to be there... BTW, the little tyke has me by an inch on the shoe size.. We're both the same on hand size(10") and arm length(38")....LOL