R&L | night position

jwhite8574

TB Lurker
Credits
i have a friend who works at rl.he does this dock l/h if needed position.they told him he was already topped out in pay at 17.26 with no hope of any more raises............is this true at r-n-hell? or is he just misled?

Sounds like he is getting the full time dock pay for his hourly and he should get line haul pay for any runs he is sent on.

BUT IF HE CAN COME IN AT SAY 1:30PM IN THE AFTERNOON AND DO SOME PICKUPS OR DROP TRAILERS HE WILL GET OFF THE DOCK
AND MAKE MORE OF THE GREEN THAT WE ALL
SEEM TO LOVE SO MUCH.
:smilie_132:

It depends if he hired on as one of the Combo/Dock Drop N Hook drivers...they only get a flat rate of $17 something an hour no matter what they do. If they happen to do a linehaul, they will get the rate for that run.

If he signs a bid then he would start at driver wages. Topping out around $24 depending on the are of the nation he is in. :smilie_132::funky:

Hey everyone, i will chime in a little. I'm currently in a dock/ driver position and it's for the birds. It deffinately isn't how it was explained by the TM. Well for me anyway. There are two of us one from 12-8 and one from 7to whenever. Let's just say when your on the later of the two, you will work the dock from 7 to 1 and then you might catch a run or a half to somewhere.I havn't left any earlier than 1:30 to drive and havn't been getting back until 8 to 9. You are pretty much their beeeotch. You will break trailers all night then get sent out on the last run of the night if they added one. I average about two nights getting to drive and three on the dock. Hell there even talking about filling in for the yard guy on2nds and 3rds when they arent in. The money isn't too bad thats not it, It's having to sweat your *** off, and getting filthy in the process and then going to jump into a truck for hours. Ive been just under the 14 hours just about every time ive driven. I worked on the dock for them 13 years ago when i was younger and it sucked then, and it is no better. Most of my expeirence has been delivering heavy equipment for a small time company and the TM evidentally felt that would be a good starting position.I think im headed back to where i came from. I think its a position that is catered to someone that worked the dock to get their CDL and start getting there expeirience that way. If your use to driving that dock sucks ***.

this sounds like you were hired on for a combo position, at any ltl company you will still be doing what you are doing if you are hired on as a combo driver.

Hey everyone, i will chime in a little. I'm currently in a dock/ driver position and it's for the birds. It deffinately isn't how it was explained by the TM. Well for me anyway. There are two of us one from 12-8 and one from 7to whenever. Let's just say when your on the later of the two, you will work the dock from 7 to 1 and then you might catch a run or a half to somewhere.I havn't left any earlier than 1:30 to drive and havn't been getting back until 8 to 9. You are pretty much their beeeotch. You will break trailers all night then get sent out on the last run of the night if they added one. I average about two nights getting to drive and three on the dock. Hell there even talking about filling in for the yard guy on2nds and 3rds when they arent in. The money isn't too bad thats not it, It's having to sweat your *** off, and getting filthy in the process and then going to jump into a truck for hours. Ive been just under the 14 hours just about every time ive driven. I worked on the dock for them 13 years ago when i was younger and it sucked then, and it is no better. Most of my expeirence has been delivering heavy equipment for a small time company and the TM evidentally felt that would be a good starting position.I think im headed back to where i came from. I think its a position that is catered to someone that worked the dock to get their CDL and start getting there expeirience that way. If your use to driving that dock sucks ***.

Driver the only thing that I can tell you is talk to your TM and see if you can come in in the afternoon and chase drop trailer if that terminal has any.This help you make more money,and get in the city if that is what you want.

I talked to the TM to no avail. We have a guy on 12 to 8 who does that already so thats taken. The TM said that guy had more expierience{ someones relative} than i have so thats why im on nights. If it was how he explained it to me when i took the job that would be one thing. He said i would only work the dock a couple hours a night, more like 6 to 7 , and you will have a run every night, more like twice a week. Its just not what was laid out to me. Maybe its differant at other locations, but at our place if your on nights your a dockworker first, yard man, then driver.

I know this position sucks for a lot of reasons. It is a way to get your foot in the door though. If a bid comes up you can sign it and get off of the combo crap. Your driver senority started when you did so if they hired drivers after you. You would have a better chance on getting a bid. I have a driver that was hired before me as a dock worker but started driving after I did. He has more senority when it comes to vacation bids but any driving bids I am over him. The best thing I can say is stick it out as the economy is not looking good, and you have a job.:hide::smilie_132:

BID ????? Did someone say bid?? what terminal has bids ???? You go where they tell you to go and you'll like it !!!!!!! And senority LOL , guy with 10 years has as many rights as the new guy who started last week LOL

BID ????? Did someone say bid?? what terminal has bids ????

This is becoming the norm it seems.

If you aren't on a bid then you are the dispatchers biatch. If you :butt kiss:then maybe a permanent nice run is in your future.

We have a 2 yr combo driver up this way that wants off the dock. I think he is to the point that he will take any bid to get off the dock. The TM hasn't posted any bids for 2 years (with 5 runs added + the normal running changes) BOL

That dock/driver combo position is the worst thing they could of ever come up with!
It's hard enough to find a good dockman with some experience that can hustle and make an impact. The combo spot is meant for someone comming out of trucking school (green)
and even though we did manage to get a couple decent guys that can work the dock. Mostly what you find is after they work the dock for two weeks to a month they are focused on just the driving aspect and don't want to be on the dock. Understandable but that's not what you were brought on for.

You go Chickenwing...Just remember I have seniority and will take the first "Yard Dog" position at our terminal. HE HE HE