Nine dead in I-5 crash involving tour bus and FedEx Freight rig

I call BS on this guy. Bet he just wanted his name in the paper. If the FXF driver lost control going through the median don't you think he would have had the break pedal to the floor trying to get stopped yet CHP says no skid marks from the tractor trailer

One of the reports states "a steer tire blew out" and the picture of the "grassy" median clearly shows ASPHALT with NO GRASS yet a few small BUSHES.

Apostolic = Probably never know what caused the FedEx freight driver to veer across in front of the bus.
Speculations will continue and since the driver burned up, there'll be no autopsy conducted or if such is conducted, no evidence that the tragedy was caused by, say, heart attack or similar.

Probably all electronic modules in the truck are burned & no data can be retrieved. I don't know what engine/drivetrain combinations FEDEX trucks have. The ABS module would store brake application history & if there were any brake fault codes present at the time of the crash. The engine/vehicle module would also store information about the vehicle at the time of the crash. The vehicle speed, engine RPM, would be recorded as well as clutch pedal position, throttle percentage & brake application. If the modules are intact & somehow survived the heat the investigation would be much easier.

Most line drivers use the cruise control. I would think that he did also, since theses trucks don't coast very far without some throttle application. He was probably set at the legal limit.

Probably all electronic modules in the truck are burned & no data can be retrieved. I don't know what engine/drivetrain combinations FEDEX trucks have. The ABS module would store brake application history & if there were any brake fault codes present at the time of the crash. The engine/vehicle module would also store information about the vehicle at the time of the crash. The vehicle speed, engine RPM, would be recorded as well as clutch pedal position, throttle percentage & brake application. If the modules are intact & somehow survived the heat the investigation would be much easier.

Definitely, but who knows how much info from the intermec is transferred and stored at fedex. I would guess no one will ever know for sure. I know it records everything from the ecm. Who knows what it stores or what it transfers over data network for storage elsewhere??

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I think FedEx would make any information they have available to those investigating this terrible accident. There will probably be lawsuits from those involved & also from relatives of the deceased. I have removed ECMs from wrecked tractors & they were locked away till the court date or till the parties settled out of court. Data from vehicle modules is admissible in court & often clears the driver & company of liability. Often it takes years for a case to get to court. It will be interesting to see what the investigation reveals.

Today the CHP was back at the accident scene, testing to see if each driver could see the other driver on their side of the freeway. Are they implicating a U turn??

I know a couple of years ago in Illinois on I-294 a vehicle made a illegal U-Turn, A tanker truck couldn't avoid the other vehicle and went over. The road was shut for hours..

I would lean towards the steer tire blowing that would explain the car that said it was already on fire(tire fire) and it veering to the left suddenly I've had a steer blow on the right side while passing a Conway if it weren't for the Conway driver acting fast and hitting the emergency lane to give me room to get it under control me him and a half dozen others would have been in a huge pile up on I-85

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

True enough steelhauler34,only every unknown can only be speculation.
As for the student in the tour bus sitting behind the bus driver.

He wouldn't have been able to see any fire if it was coming out the sides,or the back of the tractor coming toward him.
However the witness in the car that was side swiped would of had a view of any fire as the tractor passed.

So all of the eye witnesses,& speculations will have to be weeded out over time to have some idea of what may have happened.