nlrb findings

truckchick1

TB Veteran
Credits
Unfair Labor Practice (Complaint Case) Case Information
Case Name Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Inc.
Case Number 19-CA-31526-001
Date Case Filed 09/09/2008
Date Complaint Issued No Complaint Was Issued.
Date Case Closed Case Is Not Closed.
Dispute State/Zip/Region WA/ 98071/ Region 19
Appeal Determination No Appeal Determination Data Available.
Advice Determination No Advice Determination Data Available.
A.L.J. Determination No ALJ Determination Data Available.
Board Determination No Board Determination Data Available.
Regional Action(s) No Regional Action data available.
Section(s) of the Act 8(a)(5)Unilateral Changes [not Sec. 8(d)]
Close Method No Close Method Data Available.
Close Timing No Close Timing Data Available.
NAICS Code General Freight Trucking, Local
Charged Party Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Inc.
Union Name Teamsters Local 174
Employer Name Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Inc.
Case Status Pending Disposition

Unfair Labor Practice (Complaint Case) Case Information Display
Case Number 19-CA-31536-001
Date Case Filed 09/18/2008
Section(s) of the Act 8(a)(5)Unilateral Changes [not Sec. 8(d)]
Case Number 19-CA-31538-001
Section(s) of the Act 8(a)(1)Interrogation
8(a)(1)Other Allegations
8(a)(1)Promise of Benefits
8(a)(1)Surveillance
8(a)(2)Creation of In-House Organization (Electromation)
8(a)(2)Interference
8(a)(2)Other Allegations
Case Number 19-CA-31538-001
Section(s) of the Act 8(a)(1)Interrogation
8(a)(1)Other Allegations
8(a)(1)Promise of Benefits
8(a)(1)Surveillance
8(a)(2)Creation of In-House Organization (Electromation)
8(a)(2)Interference
8(a)(2)Other Allegations

THIS IS ALL I SEEM TO BE ABLE TO POST. These charges are still pending and are real. The union has with drawn some of the lesser charges but hey are still more out there. For the brainiacs who say they are all gone they are full of bovine bowl movement.

\

Thanks for the post. Saves me sometime. This means Oak Harbor is the "Charged Party" in these "complaints." There are no findsings as of yet, only time will tell. Yes there are about 3 or 4 other filings. Most likely from other partys claiming many of the same complaints, The attornys know and we all know the only winners in these types of things are the attornys

Thanks for the post. Saves me sometime. This means Oak Harbor is the "Charged Party" in these "complaints." There are no findsings as of yet, only time will tell. Yes there are about 3 or 4 other filings. Most likely from other partys claiming many of the same complaints, The attornys know and we all know the only winners in these types of things are the attornys

The other charges still pending are not from other parties, they are all from 174 and they are in addittion to these charges.

The other charges still pending are not from other parties, they are all from 174 and they are in addittion to these charges.

Thanks for checking, I wasn't sure if there were more than one making the formal complaints.
And thanks for the civil discourse. I thought the point here was to discuss. We can agree to disagree, someone wanted to know where the otherside was. I stand to just the other side. Life isn't perfect and business is messy, when the company started expanding, and I have been around long enough to see lots of it, more and more people start advising, and the buisness becomes more complicated. You won't make everyone happy no matter how hard you try.

As far as some posting, I guess I will start sitting back and watching again. Some things being said aren't worth a reply. Rooted in hate and no rational thought process. I appriciate those out there who are taking the time to respond with some forethought.

Thanks for checking, I wasn't sure if there were more than one making the formal complaints.
And thanks for the civil discourse. I thought the point here was to discuss. We can agree to disagree, someone wanted to know where the otherside was. I stand to just the other side. Life isn't perfect and business is messy, when the company started expanding, and I have been around long enough to see lots of it, more and more people start advising, and the buisness becomes more complicated. You won't make everyone happy no matter how hard you try.

As far as some posting, I guess I will start sitting back and watching again. Some things being said aren't worth a reply. Rooted in hate and no rational thought process. I appriciate those out there who are taking the time to respond with some forethought.
Most of us are open to discussion. You have to realize all of us have been out of work for almost 3 months. We will stand by our princles but that doesn't mean it is always easy. Tension is high and we hae a hard time accepting any excuse for the Vanderpools.

Most of us are open to discussion. You have to realize all of us have been out of work for almost 3 months. We will stand by our princles but that doesn't mean it is always easy. Tension is high and we hae a hard time accepting any excuse for the Vanderpools.

I appriciate that, I also have seen the impact across the board, and it started long before the strike. Skeleton crews, layoffs and people on call. I take a day off so that another can get hours. We are all hurting in this economy. This is where we start to disagree. If you look at the numbers, union represents about 1/3 of the company workforce but it is effecting 100%. I was hoping to retire sometime in the future, now I am hoping to have a job in 3, 6 months.
Kidds saying I should be thankful for people like his dad who were responsible for building this company and pay him $30.00 plus benifits, just doesn't know where he is coming from. I am one of those he should be thanking, I have been around and can say I have been an intrigul part of the growth of this company. The growth and expansion and success of this company is not going to be done by one person or even the VP's alone.

I agree. But we can not stand by and let the VP's turn this into the trucking companies of the 70's. Most of the employees of ohfl were good employees who care about whether we are making a buck delivering our freight. We are not stupid! If the company is not making money we will not have a job. Our problem is that the company was making a lot of money. They have been able to expand their operations on the back of all of us who have been working 12-14 hours a day, 5 days a week. Now they want to take away the things that make this a decent job. I used to work for these kinds of companies in the 70's where you just shut up and do what you are told. No matter if it is legal or not. Just get the freight delivered. This is where ohfl is headed. Are we all going back 30 years?

I appriciate that, I also have seen the impact across the board, and it started long before the strike. Skeleton crews, layoffs and people on call. I take a day off so that another can get hours. We are all hurting in this economy. This is where we start to disagree. If you look at the numbers, union represents about 1/3 of the company workforce but it is effecting 100%. I was hoping to retire sometime in the future, now I am hoping to have a job in 3, 6 months.
Kidds saying I should be thankful for people like his dad who were responsible for building this company and pay him $30.00 plus benifits, just doesn't know where he is coming from. I am one of those he should be thanking, I have been around and can say I have been an intrigul part of the growth of this company. The growth and expansion and success of this company is not going to be done by one person or even the VP's alone.
This is our point ,the company is a team ,all members contribute and many of us have for many years. The union team of employees were the base of this companies success. We helped build the foundation .Why fix it if it wasn't broken? The company never claimed economic hardship. So tell us all the real reasons and we'll all know. The whole thing certainly isn't based on any sound business theories I have ever read about. You can't possibly tell us that the company or employees are better off in any way than 10 weeks ago.

This is our point ,the company is a team ,all members contribute and many of us have for many years. The union team of employees were the base of this companies success. We helped build the foundation .Why fix it if it wasn't broken? The company never claimed economic hardship. So tell us all the real reasons and we'll all know. The whole thing certainly isn't based on any sound business theories I have ever read about. You can't possibly tell us that the company or employees are better off in any way than 10 weeks ago.

concered. You hit it on the head. Good swing.

I don't disagree, however in the last five to ten years we have seen how many small companys the size of OH, be gobbled up or just disappear. The stance that I have heard from Ed, Dave and even Henry is that if we don't grow, We will disappear. Hense the growth in the Nevada, California, a move toward Arizona, more and more to Utah. Everytime they expand the profit margin gets smaller, costs escalate and the piece of the pie for everyone gets smaller. The price of fuel had been where a you decide to park a truck and tell a customer we only go there once a week. verses losing revenue. It is now back to a point where it can be profitable, and don't say fuel surcharge, ask any of the salespeople, for a good customer and repeat buisness they will waive just about anything to keep the buisness. Moving into California is expensive, I think at the time the Reno terminal was built for around 2 mil, I may be off there, but you can't touch a broken down 12 door terminal in some of the worst areas for twice that especially 3 to 5 years ago, so they lease the same broken down place for unbelievable rent and try and make it work.

I don't disagree, however in the last five to ten years we have seen how many small companys the size of OH, be gobbled up or just disappear. The stance that I have heard from Ed, Dave and even Henry is that if we don't grow, We will disappear. Hense the growth in the Nevada, California, a move toward Arizona, more and more to Utah. Everytime they expand the profit margin gets smaller, costs escalate and the piece of the pie for everyone gets smaller. The price of fuel had been where a you decide to park a truck and tell a customer we only go there once a week. verses losing revenue. It is now back to a point where it can be profitable, and don't say fuel surcharge, ask any of the salespeople, for a good customer and repeat buisness they will waive just about anything to keep the buisness. Moving into California is expensive, I think at the time the Reno terminal was built for around 2 mil, I may be off there, but you can't touch a broken down 12 door terminal in some of the worst areas for twice that especially 3 to 5 years ago, so they lease the same broken down place for unbelievable rent and try and make it work.
You say the new terminal only cost them 2 mil. I know for a fact that there is property for rent alot cheaper. Yes it isn't pretty and it may need a little scubbing, but you have just proved the may previous posts. ed & dave had 2 mil to spent on a pretty terminal. Where do you think they came up with the money?

I have note heard a clear answer, other than the NLRB report, but they just put it into catagories. What was it that made it worth walking off? It couldn't be as simple as DVD's being sent out, news letters. Or being asked what you think about a revised benifits package? Please help me understand this.

This is what I hear, The company says there are approximately 57 retirees and their familys enrolled in the healthcare plan and not all of them participate, either because a spouse or the member has other insurance.
The union is responsible to administer these benifits, the company only writes the checks to the unions. My understanding is that more than 1 million has been paid on their behalf by the company. I have no idea if this is for the past year or 2 or...., but for the year thats almost 18K a year or more than 1400 a month, thats some expensive premiums, I don't know, someone give me some better numbers.
I also hear that benifits have been halted due to the strike. At this point, its a card game and I think they are playing there hand calling the unions bluff(so to speak)

One issue that the company was consistent about was the payment of premiums and pension contributions for individuals that would never use the insurance or receive the retirement benefits. I don't recall the dollar amount, but just the pension payments into the system for people that did not reach the five year point was significant.

One issue that the company was consistent about was the payment of premiums and pension contributions for individuals that would never use the insurance or receive the retirement benefits. I don't recall the dollar amount, but just the pension payments into the system for people that did not reach the five year point was significant.
OK. So does Oak only pay for liability insurance if and when they need it? Every month I shell out a load of money to my insurance company and I can damn well bet that I over the years have paid them lots more than my house, car, belongings, property or as far as that goes my life is worth. Does that mean that because I don't "think" that I will need it I shouldn't have to pay? Or is Oak one of those that call their insurance agent up when they know they will have a claim and tell them they have a claim coming through and they need to pay a premium for that month?

The same goes for the sick leave. I recall that something was said that only "Y" number of people use it but it cost Oak "X" number of dollars so we won't have it any longer (except if you work for us twenty years than maybe, if we review and OK it, we will allow a few days.)

One of these days the light will dawn in the dark spaces and you will understand that this whole ugly strike is not about the wages, insurance, labor practices or anything else. It is about the VP's wanting to bust the Union out so they can have absolute power and control over the employee. It started with the statement "you will be replaced." They want everyone to treat them as they are a god and everything that the employee receives comes from the goodness of their heart. And that anyone who crosses them or used to work for them be damned. But remember "money is over rated."

Ed, The wooden shoes have dry rot.

I tried ti give this company man a break but it looks like he is posting old garbage according to you

As for the old garbage, what other numbers is anyone looking at. You ask, which desk, My desk is a 14x8 clipboard that I sit on the stearing wheel of one of those moving red offices I spend so much time in. When will I be out of a job, good question.

If you noticed, I signed up to this board around 2 years ago and I didn't make a sound for 2 years. I sit, watch and listen until I form an opinion, just like at work, I pay attention, listen and ask questions. Most of the managers are approachable and will tell you what they know. you just have to know how to ask and read the response. Some are arogant SOB's but honestly I wouldn't want there job any day of the week.

I am an educated man, have degrees and could be a manager at a lot of places, but I chose the lower road, I am a underachiever. I let my kids be the reason for the loss of my hair even though the are mostly grown and for the most part moved out.

It may be old garbage and not complete or accurate but this is the information that is out there and the history behind it. Watch and listen Thanks,

OK. So does Oak only pay for liability insurance if and when they need it? Every month I shell out a load of money to my insurance company and I can damn well bet that I over the years have paid them lots more than my house, car, belongings, property or as far as that goes my life is worth. Does that mean that because I don't "think" that I will need it I shouldn't have to pay? Or is Oak one of those that call their insurance agent up when they know they will have a claim and tell them they have a claim coming through and they need to pay a premium for that month?

The same goes for the sick leave. I recall that something was said that only "Y" number of people use it but it cost Oak "X" number of dollars so we won't have it any longer (except if you work for us twenty years than maybe, if we review and OK it, we will allow a few days.)

One of these days the light will dawn in the dark spaces and you will understand that this whole ugly strike is not about the wages, insurance, labor practices or anything else. It is about the VP's wanting to bust the Union out so they can have absolute power and control over the employee. It started with the statement "you will be replaced." They want everyone to treat them as they are a god and everything that the employee receives comes from the goodness of their heart. And that anyone who crosses them or used to work for them be damned. But remember "money is over rated."

Ed, The wooden shoes have dry rot.

I understand all of your points. My only two areas addressed were health and pension. Liability insurance is a different subject. If an employee has other coverage, usually through a spouse, they can opt out of the company coverage and the company will not have to pay premiums for that person. Is this an option in the teamster plan? (Please understand, I'm asking because I don't know the answer, not for arguments sake). The pension contributions for individuals that don't make the vesting point are another issue. What happens to the contributions that have been made for employees that leave before 5 years?

As I type this, I assume that this money ends up in the fund with that person's name attached to it, and if that person gets a job later for another teamster company, does he or she start right back up in the program with their prior service time counted, or does that person start again from scratch? If the person does start from scratch, what actually happens to the money that was contributed in that person's name?

One of the benefits of a 401k program is that this money stays with the employee, from the day the contributions begin. Obviously, the downside is that it is tied to funds and the market, and we have seen how that can work out. However, the teamsters pension fund hasn't been immune to the market drop, has it?