ABF | "No more combining breaks"

Well if anyone has read this far....
They threw paper at us for NOT taking breaks this week. It was just a "letter of discussion" with a promise of a letter of waring next.
We were told absolutely no combining lunch with breaks. We never did it here but a few did it at 050, I don't know how its going over up there, I hope they go after past practice on it.
We were just told that we could double up 10 minute breaks but if we did be prepared to have your day questioned because they thought a guy would get his morning break in and just not document it. I wonder if they even know we get another break at 10, 12, and 14 hours as well.
At Holland they used to allow combining one break with lunch then they got on a kick about not allowing it. A lot of guys bitched about it but I never heard of any paper being given out. I did it and would have pursued past practice but they never did say anything to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed up many a break in my day, not because I enjoy donating to the company but I didn't mind donating to the company so much when it meant me getting done ten minutes earlier. Over time in reaction to company behavior I have ceased giving this donation even if it means me working ten minutes longer and dinner getting cold. As drivers we know our business better than any of those pencil pushers who dictate rules and regulations to us do. And we know our customers. Customer's closed for lunch at 12:00 and it's 11:45? Sounds like time for a break to me. Bummer I can't serve that customer then go snag a combined break/lunch.

:guiness:

so when has a good work ethic become a crime for a teamster? Seems ti me if I'm not giving abf hell, I just don't fit in the club.
Rolling62 you just don't get it so I will give it a whirl (to all others of course I know it's useless but I have to give it a whirl).
I am young here, and in this industry, by comparison to some of the others and I am happy to listen, hear and learn from what they have to say.
You are an infant here by this same comparison and you refuse to see it or acknowledge it and think you know more than all of us combined. You act like you know everything and every word that comes out of your mouth is pro company. There are quite a few who post here who have no bone to pick with the company and I (and others) disagree with some of their views. However, they do not receive the 'warm' reception that you do. It appears that you enjoy being what you are but in case you haven't noticed you are nearly alone. In fact at this point you appear to be all alone.

I just need a hug I guess
You blew the chance of that happening a long time ago. If you were to grow up, realize you aren't all you think you are and try to learn a little from those who are wise you could possibly redeem yourself a little

Have you been drinking this morning? There's very few wise postings on this board. Anyway, the mass paranoia to not let the company pull the wool over our heads seems to be some people's job instead of moving freight. After living the conway dream, I recognize that no one should be complaining about separating a break.

The door swings both way's !
People before us fought a battle to get breaks,Lunch and OT after 8.Why is it that many are ready to give up what was negotiated and in some cases laws were passed. Do you really think Judy sits in her palace in Ft **** and dreams this up ? Of course not, but some ladder climber is looking to make a name for himself. Take whats due to you when its due. Your peon manager will get no where fast when he needs a favor when its Sammy time.
I always figured they like their own medicine..........

Have you been drinking this morning? There's very few wise postings on this board. Anyway, the mass paranoia to not let the company pull the wool over our heads seems to be some people's job instead of moving freight. After living the conway dream, I recognize that no one should be complaining about separating a break.
You can learn more with your ears than mouth

Your in love with yourself...newsflash your replaceable super trucker, anyone can shift gears....

You can learn more with your ears than mouth

He is like a alligator all mouth and no ears!!!

Well, I always tell them when they put out these infantile memos, I needed something for scratch paper anyway, write your warning letter, and I'll write my protest letter, I'll call you if I'm detained, and I'll work my breaks around my customer's schedule if any way possible... I give respect, and I expect the same....sometimes 10 or 15 minute worth.

You know, it doesn't really matter whether you agree with his complaint about not being able to combine breaks and lunch, the point is we are all supposed to be " united" in our efforts to receive fair treatment from the company. If its not in the contract, then we should stand together against it. All the nit picky fighting amongst ourselves is what is allowing corporate America to destroy the unions our forefathers worked so hard to make strong. I guess its just human nature to only be concerned about things that you find objectionable and the hell with anybody else's feelings. We are our own worst enemy in the workplace battle for fair and equitable treatment !

One has been filed.
7% cut in pay, loss of vacation time, and 33% cut in breaks...and before the ink is dry, an established practice is trashed?

It sounds like you would fit in great at Old Dominion.

Those OD guys sure are happy and making great $$$$.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Rolling62 you just don't get it so I will give it a whirl (to all others of course I know it's useless but I have to give it a whirl).
I am young here, and in this industry, by comparison to some of the others and I am happy to listen, hear and learn from what they have to say.
You are an infant here by this same comparison and you refuse to see it or acknowledge it and think you know more than all of us combined. You act like you know everything and every word that comes out of your mouth is pro company. There are quite a few who post here who have no bone to pick with the company and I (and others) disagree with some of their views. However, they do not receive the 'warm' reception that you do. It appears that you enjoy being what you are but in case you haven't noticed you are nearly alone. In fact at this point you appear to be all alone.

Many of the oldtimers are just as clueless and full of bull poopy as the next guy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Like I said, old dogs can't and refuse to learn new tricks... They just lay around growling and pooping everywhere. Maybe some oh you should ask yourself " am I an old dog"?