Yellow | No Part-time Jobs!

511monkey

TB Lurker
Credits
Wages and working conditions at YRC will never improve if part time workers are hired. But, hiring part-time workers is exactly what is happening in places like 805 in Santa Rosa, Ca. If the company is allowed to fill vacant full-time positions with cartage, and part-time employees they won't have any incentive to improve wages and working conditions for the remaining full-time employees.

BTW, the two part-time dock workers hired so far were approved by the Local Union.

Wages and working conditions at YRC will never improve if part time workers are hired. But, hiring part-time workers is exactly what is happening in places like 805 in Santa Rosa, Ca. If the company is allowed to fill vacant full-time positions with cartage, and part-time employees they won't have any incentive to improve wages and working conditions for the remaining full-time employees.

BTW, the two part-time dock workers hired so far were approved by the Local Union.
If the part timers they hired have no experience; how can you put them on full time to start??

like everything else many of us put out warning that is was a bad idea . but of course the know it alls here repeated told people they will never do that so you need to vote yes . same as the outside venders running freight up the road . they will never do that either .
they can hire all they want it was approved by the masses

Part-timers
Only gonna get worse.
There will be no breakroom banter in the future.
The clerks won't have to shut the window from all the cursing, or join in on it.
Sad.
But. I started as a casual. 9 months. They finally hired me. But back then if you didn't work you were set up or called back. They had people lined up to work there.
Not the situation today.
Pickin the bottom of the barrel these days.
If you have a cdl, as I said before, you have a job.
Oh well. Who gives a ::shit::. We will all be gone in the next ten years or so.
Union doesn't care. Company doesn't care.
Do your time and go. No point. Just vote no in 19.
Never... ever... Just wake up and post. Wait awhile. See what happens? Lol.
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-04-07/news/mn-43292_1_trucking-firms

Last edited:
They've hired one full time and one part time employee at my terminal over the past 2 weeks. They were hired to replace three men who are quitting. The full time hire doesn't have a Hazmat endorsement on his license, but he's been given 60 days to get it. He is being allowed to drive but he can't pick up any hazardous material. I don't know how long the part timer will last, I've never seen one last 6 months at this terminal.

Our wages are so low we can't find anybody full or part time. They pay part time like $11/hr. Who is going to work in the heat and cold for that. Mcd's and Walmart pay that much and it's climate controlled.

They've hired one full time and one part time employee at my terminal over the past 2 weeks. They were hired to replace three men who are quitting. The full time hire doesn't have a Hazmat endorsement on his license, but he's been given 60 days to get it. He is being allowed to drive but he can't pick up any hazardous material. I don't know how long the part timer will last, I've never seen one last 6 months at this terminal.
Some of em may have enough common sense to see the light.
May take six months for them to find another job. But they won't stay long if... That's a big IF... they have common sense and another job is available. Only reason I can see by any of them staying on is they cannot get hired somewhere else or they need the insurance and of course the pittance they pay.

Our wages are so low we can't find anybody full or part time. They pay part time like $11/hr. Who is going to work in the heat and cold for that. Mcd's and Walmart pay that much and it's climate controlled.
Ya... It been friggin hot down here in TX. Nice open terminals.
That doesn't mention the heat put out by the lifts and the extra degrees in the sun topped trailers. Hehehe. Oh I love going in reverse with a tall skid the full length off the dock. Nothing makes me more droopy eyed than that!

I'd be willing to bet that none of the part-time positions mentioned above are legal under the contract. Please cut and paste anything you think justifies the positions mentioned.

I'd be willing to bet that none of the part-time positions mentioned above are legal under the contract. Please cut and paste anything you think justifies the positions mentioned.
The TM has to make a special deal with the local on almost every man they hire. The local chokes and gives in because they know how desperate YRC is for help. The local doesn't care about the 20 an 30 year man who was never, ever given such options.

The TM has to make a special deal with the local on almost every man they hire. The local chokes and gives in because they know how desperate YRC is for help. The local doesn't care about the 20 an 30 year man who was never, ever given such options.
I think this is what corruption looks like to the dues paying member (we aren't invited to the lavish parties), and YRC is right there trying to benefit at the victim's expense.

Holland went on a hiring blitz in Atlanta after the terminal manager got fired.In the last 3 months we have 19 new hires off of their thirty days.They did lower their standards but several of them came from other ltl.
I wish we made more also but with the overtime bunches of us will make over 70 k with free insurance.I can't think of a non Union line I would rather be working at.

Four Hour Casuals get an 8-hr Guarantee if they work over 4 hours, which they often do at our barn, for a half hour or 45 minutes, sometimes longer. That's about $19/hr. for 4-1/2 hours.

I do not know of any of the non-union gigs that pay an 8 hour guarantee. Most of our 4-hour Casuals are College and it works out well for them.

We cant find any drivers or part timers in our barn and we give away tons of freight to pts. In fact, one comes with his own tractor trailer everyday and we fill it right up. Ive spoken to our union rep about this and was told the company is within their rights to do it as long as everyone is working. $11.90 for part time work is garbage and I agree with the person on here that posted the idea they can work in retail and make as much and be inside a climate controlled building But if a person comes in with no CDL and only has forklift skills or even no forklift skills, how much is that person worth to the company ?

No matter how much we grumble about this the union and company are not going to reopen the contract and adjust those wages until at least 2019 and even then I dont seem them doing much unless they give back the 15% because at $14 an hour without the 15% taken out, is about what a dock worker makes in general at most ltl's. Also, when you tell a part time person they need to come up with hundreds of dollars to join the union and then pay $29.75 a month in union dues they do the math and say its not worth it. If a person only works 20 hours a week like they are suppose to, thats only $238 gross. take the union dues out and they worked a week for $10.41 an hour gross. Not even worth it to come to work.