1. All employers have a social media policy, Your identity is UNKNOWN on Truckingboards unless you reveal it somehow yourself. When you post to Facebook Trucking Groups, everybody knows your name. Think about it.

Nonmechanic Car Fixing Thread

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by slavenomore, Dec 7, 2019.

1. slavenomore

slavenomore US Gov Hears Foreign Corps More Than Nonunions

The bug will be done tomorrow. It's been in the shop a few weeks. I was in no hurry due to holidays. I couldn't figure out what kept the radiator stable on top. Plus it had a major antifreeze leak. The top radiator mounts are totally missing he said.. The leak is the thermostat housing. It's not gonna cost much. The parts are under $100.
    Hopefully we sell it before any more problems happen. Maybe people have tax refunds soon.

2. Big Dave

Big Dave My Hat is my sunvisor

Driver Since:
    Paint it white (if it isn’t already) and put the number 53 decals on it and sell it as a Herbie wannabe...

seabreeze and slavenomore like this.
  3. slavenomore

If it would have been bought for less......I would've happily given it to a charitable carnival for $1 a swing with a sledgehammer.
    But my daughter needs something out of it for another car.

4. slavenomore

Got the Bug back from shop less than 2 weeks ago.....daughter called last night....car overheated AGAIN.
    Took it too shop again.....stopped there surrounded by a cloud of steam.
    When he says it works it is for sale...done.
    POS FOREIGN JUNK!!!
    LEAKING all over where he just replaced...I think it's thermostat housing.

5. slavenomore

Thermostat was replaced at shop. Water still doesn't circulate. He's replacing the Water pump...I think he has to do timing belt or chain also to do that.
    This is not a cheap job. VW is definitely on the do-not-buy-ever-again list ...but as threadstarter said I never would have bought one to begin with.

6. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

Driver Since:
    Retired after 35 years
    ok, thinking back to my garage days.

yes, it could be a water pump that may what i believe to be called "cavitation" of the metal (vanes) in the inner workers of the water pump.

it could be the timing belt, if on that engine the belt actually does work the pump.

it could also be an air lock in the cooling system and i HAVE HAD this problem mainly on the foreign cars.

what i had to do was, turn on the heater (or defroster) to high heat, then either by a full bumper jack (garage type) or ramps, either blocks of wood, or drive up metal, raise the car, so that the radiator is higher than the eater core.

when you look at most cars and light trucks, the heater core sits higher than the radiator.

then making sure the radiator is topped off, run the engine, at a high idle.

in time, the thermostat will open, and the coolant will circulate. eventually that air bubble (that is causing the air lock) will be pushed up to the radiator. keep the radiator topped off at all times. keep the radiator cap on, but lose, not fully closed.

the old Datsuns were notorious for this, Mitsubishi's were horrendous as well.

7. slavenomore

So when you are trying to get the air bubble out you leave radiator cap loose? Correct? And then tighten after circulation?

8. slavenomore

I hope that's it.

pro1driver likes this.
  9. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

Driver Since:
    Retired after 35 years
    what i used to do, was to at first leave it off, so that as the stat opens, i'd refill it. then as it warmed up to say near operating temp, put it on loosely. then since it was loose, it would not splatter hot fluid on us.

it does take time, but once the system is opened (for what ever reason) air does get in and creates havoc with an air bubble (or air lock).

think of it (in a way) as the a/c system, once that gets opened up, you need to pull a vacuum on it, to ensure that no moisture got inside. (and to check for leaks if it does not hold a vacuum)

regarding the rad cap, once it has purged the air bubble, you refill, then yes, securely tighten the cap.