FedEx Freight | Not a merger a National shutdown

birddog

TB Lurker
Credits
Not trying to beat a dead horse but I just found out that at least in Charlotte I've got over 25 Freight drivers beat in seniority but I'm not getting a chance to transfer in here. I'll be ok but I'm tired of these so called Fed Ex executives calling it a merger and telling the public that it is a merger when in reality it is a National shutdown. Not mad at any drivers because it's not their fault and if the shoe was on the other foot I can see their side of the story but call a spade a spade it is a National shutdown not a merger. Not trying to offend any Freight drivers and my apologies if I did but they are screwing with a lot of peoples lives with this thing and the way that they went about doing it is terrible but to all that got to keep their jobs good luck and I wish you all the best.:sadwavey:

Let me guess u beat them with job class seniority but not with hire date seniority????? I'm in the same boat I beat 4 or 5 guys on the road but not with hire date Senority buf well see by the end of the week good luck to all god bless

I have no idea why they called it a merger. It's not a, "shut down" either, and I'll try to explain why. The freight that National LTL was/is moving is still going to be moved by Fedex Freight, and often times by the same drivers, (whether they be Nat'l or Freight). Fedex National LTL is a subsidiary of Fedex Freight, a division of Fedex Corporation, (just like Fedex Custom Critical, and others). The way that the company is dovetailing the drivers, department seniority, (believe it or not) is actually the most fair way to do it. Fedex could have done it like YRC did USF Dugan, shut it down, liquidate the assets, absorb the freight, put the employees on the street, {edit} and keep on truckin'. The corporation didn't do it that way for a number of reasons, not the least of which, was that we are a non-union company, and the liberal wing of the Democrat party, (face it, it's the truth) aka, the mainstream media would have had a field day excoriating Fedex for kicking so many to the curb during hard times, that there would have been a great deal of fallout, resulting in lost business. Instead, the corporation, (despite some of the protest from within the ranks of the high up muckety mucks) decided to try to put a prettier face on this ship wreck, and call it, a merger. Depending on where you happen to be, there will be Freight drivers following work to a previously National center, or National drivers following work to a Freight center. Where you happen to be seems to be the order of the day, when it comes to the definition of the word, "FAIR". I know that sometimes life sucks, but I take comfort knowing that in this particular case, it ain't personal. It's just the way ::shit:: is.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is no way it would be fair for job class seniority to prevail over company seniority when it determines who gets the axe... It's about all the company seniority guys have left

I have no idea why they called it a merger. It's not a, "shut down" either, and I'll try to explain why. The freight that National LTL was/is moving is still going to be moved by Fedex Freight, and often times by the same drivers, (whether they be Nat'l or Freight). Fedex National LTL is a subsidiary of Fedex Freight, a division of Fedex Corporation, (just like Fedex Custom Critical, and others). The way that the company is dovetailing the drivers, department seniority, (believe it or not) is actually the most fair way to do it. Fedex could have done it like YRC did USF Dugan, shut it down, liquidate the assets, absorb the freight, put the employees on the street, {edit} and keep on truckin'. The corporation didn't do it that way for a number of reasons, not the least of which, was that we are a non-union company, and the liberal wing of the Democrat party, (face it, it's the truth) aka, the mainstream media would have had a field day excoriating Fedex for kicking so many to the curb during hard times, that there would have been a great deal of fallout, resulting in lost business. Instead, the corporation, (despite some of the protest from within the ranks of the high up muckety mucks) decided to try to put a prettier face on this ship wreck, and call it, a merger. Depending on where you happen to be, there will be Freight drivers following work to a previously National center, or National drivers following work to a Freight center. Where you happen to be seems to be the order of the day, when it comes to the definition of the word, "FAIR". I know that sometimes life sucks, but I take comfort knowing that in this particular case, it ain't personal. It's just the way ::shit:: is.

I agree with what you have to say, but I will add this to the Fair Part.......At National, they are letting you keep your company and Job Class Seniority, but here is where they are screwing a lot of us....If you transferred to your center , in the Same Job Class, that is your Bid Seniority Date.....even if it was a Follow the Freight Transfer in which you were allowed to take your board seniority with you....Real nice of them to take the time to go back and make those changes after the fact...It has cost me 9 years board senority...Thanks FX :wtflol: :ranting2:

Bye the way most of you know me well enough to know I don't blame the drivers....

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what you have to say, but I will add this to the Fair Part.......At National, they are letting you keep your company and Job Class Seniority, but here is where they are screwing a lot of us....If you transferred to your center , in the Same Job Class, that is your Bid Seniority Date.....even if it was a Follow the Freight Transfer in which you were allowed to take your board seniority with you....Real nice of them to take the time to go back and make those changes after the fact...It has cost me 9 years board senority...Thanks FX :wtflol: :ranting2:

Bye the way most of you know me well enough to know I don't blame the drivers....

From what we were told......as long as your job class didn't change when you transfered they add up the number of consecutive years in that job class reguardless of which centers you were at and that is your senority used for bidding

I don't know how they came up with the merger or dovetailing of the drivers but they did say that I could possibly transfer to Atlanta but I still have over 25 drivers in Charlotte that I have beat in seniority so that doesn't make any since no matter how I look at it. I've got 3 kids in highschool so I'm not uprooting my family to move to Atlanta just to have them screw me like the other drivers that transfered last year. I do hope that everything works out for the best for all involved especially the drivers at both companies but this whole thing leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as I'm sure it does for all involved. I guess they had to find a way to combine this somehow and some of us got the short straw (not to be confused with the short bus that I rode on). Have a good day all.

From what we were told......as long as your job class didn't change when you transfered they add up the number of consecutive years in that job class reguardless of which centers you were at and that is your senority used for bidding

Yea well what you were told and what they did to myself and others are 2 different things my friend..... I know 1 guy that they went back and changed his bid date because of a follow the work transfer in 1997 AND LIKE ME HE HAS NEVER CHANGED JOB CLASSES...

I lost time when I transferred to Aurora NE and back to KC. My job class date is the day I transferred back to KC.

There are several Denver drivers that transferred to Sidney NE when there were positions eliminated at Denver. They weren't at the bottom so their jobs were not in jeopardy. It is now considered a volunteer transfer and their job class date is the day they left for Sidney. Being that there are several with the same job class date, I was told that they bidding seniority will go by job class then company time for those people.

I lost time when I transferred to Aurora NE and back to KC. My job class date is the day I transferred back to KC.

There are several Denver drivers that transferred to Sidney NE when there were positions eliminated at Denver. They weren't at the bottom so their jobs were not in jeopardy. It is now considered a volunteer transfer and their job class date is the day they left for Sidney. Being that there are several with the same job class date, I was told that they bidding seniority will go by job class then company time for those people.

I knew that there was going to be a problem with all of this, because there was a big difference between the two companies in this area. At Freight, if you are following the work, you carry your department seniority with you, if you request to transfer, because that is where you want to go, (for whatever reason) your department seniority starts over from the time of the transfer. It is also my understanding that once this, "merger" is complete, there will not be any more, "follow the freight" transfers ever again.

Yea well what you were told and what they did to myself and others are 2 different things my friend..... I know 1 guy that they went back and changed his bid date because of a follow the work transfer in 1997 AND LIKE ME HE HAS NEVER CHANGED JOB CLASSES...

They will keep your seniority or as they fill like it.

Since Fedex took over this company we have move several times for them, followed the freight to keep our jobs,keep and lost out job class seniority three times now.

Six months after we start with Watkins we transferred to ATL and went to the bottom of their board. Worked our way up some, along came Fedex, everything was fine, nothing was going to change. Remember that crap. 6 months latter it was go here with all board seniority or we don't need you. So we moved. Even though I guessed why do you need that many people there. No freight every comes out just goes in. 9 months later it was we have to many people here. You have to go back to Atl. But do we get our seniority back. No we had to go to the bottom of the board. From 2/2006 to 7/2008.

So off we go like go little drones. Teams break up and we move to SRT to get a run better than 172 miles. And what happens 3 months later this. So now our job seniority will go to 6 months come Jan. We have never changed job class either.

This last time was our move. But Fedex made us move twice and they take and they give. I should say that they didn't make us move but worded that of you want a job you move, lol. It is what it is and it sucks. Y'all have a good Sunday.

I knew that there was going to be a problem with all of this, because there was a big difference between the two companies in this area. At Freight, if you are following the work, you carry your department seniority with you, if you request to transfer, because that is where you want to go, (for whatever reason) your department seniority starts over from the time of the transfer. It is also my understanding that once this, "merger" is complete, there will not be any more, "follow the freight" transfers ever again.
Arkansaswolf you are right because we were told that after this first wave of mergers the terminals will still need more drivers and they will determine that based on freight volume. Like here in Charlotte they told us that they were going to need at least 10 more drivers but if you make the move then you will go to the bottom of the board no matter how long you have been with the company. They are screwing a lot of people in this process and I hope that they are never faced with the same problem that they are putting us in now. This was a good job but I guess all good things must come to an end. Have a GOOD DAY.:duh:

Normally that is how it worked. If your job is eliminated and you transfer, you kept your board seniority. In the Denver case, the bottom guys (the ones that were going to get the boot) didn't transfer, some of the more senior guys did. It was considered voluntary.

Normally that is how it worked. If your job is eliminated and you transfer, you kept your board seniority. In the Denver case, the bottom guys (the ones that were going to get the boot) didn't transfer, some of the more senior guys did. It was considered voluntary.

The exact same scenario at Freight would have preserved the senior driver's department seniority at the time of transfer, because they were following the work, allowing other drivers to avoid layoff. It doesn't matter if they were high up or down low on the board, following work is following work. Somebody in management has really dropped the ball when it comes to following the proper procedure.

Your right but back then Jon & Ted and (Tony was thier) told us if for any reason the Sidney yard closed we would dove tail back into the Denver board. LoL no its not written anywhere so it means nothing.

plain and simple dont transfer unless you are forced to go to a certian terminal because yours is closing. Example EGV is closing and moving to west sac, if I dont want to go to west sac and want to go to rno then it becomes a volunteer transfer. I would loose my line or city seniority but keep my company seniority. which meeans I may be ahead of 20 guys with my hire date but will be at the bottom of the bid board because I transferred. If I was to stay at EGV and move to west sac because i had to and that was what was offered to me then I would keep both seniorty and dovetail in wherevever that may be. The company seniority is basically to see if you have a job, and vacations. Whatever your board seniority is right now, that you will keep unless you go somewhere voluntarily. If you transfered before this all happend you will not gain your old dates back either.

Let me guess u beat them with job class seniority but not with hire date seniority????? I'm in the same boat I beat 4 or 5 guys on the road but not with hire date Senority buf well see by the end of the week good luck to all god bless

I have been at freight for 20 years Chev. I transfer to road 3 years ago and i went to the bottom of road senority. There are many at freight that have done that. If they give you your company senority they would have to give all employees there company seniorty...there not going to do that. Your not being treated any different then anyone else who changed from P&D to road or if you transfer to a new terminal...you go to the bottom...Also company senority starts at the time you were hired as a FXF employee. If you were a contractor those years dont count