R&L | Not posting open runs

Recap Slinger

TB Lurker
Credits
Has it become the new policy to hire off the street or put combo drivers on a run that is open? We've had existing runs come open (city and road) over the last couple of years and they are not being posted to bid on. We've never got to bid on vacations either, its always been first come first serve.
'

We still bid at our barn,but we can't keep a combo driver either.They just stay long enough to find something else and they leave.We have one now that has lasted about 2 weeks but he got a call from another carrier so he will be leaving.I think they just leave it up to the individual TM to do it however he feels like.

Has it become the new policy to hire off the street or put combo drivers on a run that is open? We've had existing runs come open (city and road) over the last couple of years and they are not being posted to bid on. We've never got to bid on vacations either, its always been first come first serve.
'
We still bid every run out and vacation is always senior to junior. I know this for a fact because I'm a senior driver.

We still bid every run out and vacation is always senior to junior. I know this for a fact because I'm a senior driver.
we do sr to jr with vaca, but no bidding p&d runs. they just go to who they want to have them. honestly that was a bad habit the old tm started, and it still goes that way

NOR has always been fair on vacations as far as I can tell, by senoirity at the end of the year for the following year, then first come after Jan. 1st for what is left. A little slow getting some runs posted for bid though. I don't know if we have any combo drivers.?.?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have always bid open runs. If the TM runs behind on posting them, we remind him. Vacations have always been bid per company policy. Never had any real problems on either issue. I guess we have been lucky on these issues.

'
If you guys are having these problems,the best thing I can suggest is call Jeff Copsey in Wilmington.He's good about listening to issues like this and will help.We have gotten a lot done at my terminal with Jeff's help. He's the VP of human resources.

Besides Vacations, the only thing that is bid,are the good paying line haul runs. If city spot becomes available,TM does what ever he wants. Our routes are so screwed up anymore,it really doesn't matter. Guys doin the routing at night end runs 30 miles away from nearest pick-up, Some guys do deliveries in 4 different areas,and then end up in an area where we pick up freight once a year. Some trailers come in empty and some come in double stacked. Straight trucks deliver to Huge warehouses,and we send 48 footers out with 5 or 6 residential deliveries. No drivers seem to complain anymore about how ridiculous things are. Everybody is pretty used to it by now,guess it happens everywhere.

They have beaten us all down to the point where we don't care anymore, we just go with it!!! Straight trucks never deliver the residentials, its always the 48's...Its a daily struggle, but we have all become used to it, and our customers have become used to it as well!!!
Besides Vacations, the only thing that is bid,are the good paying line haul runs. If city spot becomes available,TM does what ever he wants. Our routes are so screwed up anymore,it really doesn't matter. Guys doin the routing at night end runs 30 miles away from nearest pick-up, Some guys do deliveries in 4 different areas,and then end up in an area where we pick up freight once a year. Some trailers come in empty and some come in double stacked. Straight trucks deliver to Huge warehouses,and we send 48 footers out with 5 or 6 residential deliveries. No drivers seem to complain anymore about how ridiculous things are. Everybody is pretty used to it by now,guess it happens everywhere.

They don't bid city at my term, if you get a route you will be there till you die or quit so you better like it, they bid line runs but my TM keeps the bid sheet in his drawer so that no one sees it and gets the combo driver to sign it (meaning who he wants), basically all of us old drivers are getting the shaft. he does do the vacation "kinda" the right way, my TM is pretty much a worthless joke, depends on the day which rule he makes up, i swear he has 365 different rule books, and that is subject to change depending on which driver he is talking to. With my TM seniority does not mean anything, it all comes down to who does the best job under the desk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we had 4 openings last week and he hired 2 off the street for the city and put 2 existing combo drivers on the linehaul runs. The TM has us older guys under a microscope, but the combo guys can come in wearing sneakers and no uniforms (after they get them) and nothing is said. But at $14-$15 a hr and 70% of full linehaul pay I guess they can't be too hard on them cause then the smarter ones pack up and move on. I've been here 15 yrs and never thought about leaving or even filling out an application somewhere else til the last couple of years. When I started here it was a real good place, r & l did things that set them apart from the others, now they are taken on bottom feeder status. The morale here is the lowest I've ever seen, there's just no communication or employee involvement anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I still have a good paying job, and I still go out everyday with a professional attitude and work ethic-just some appreciation every now and then would be nice and not anymore of the cold burgers and dogs from last week PLEASE!! I hope they are just going thru some growing pains with all the expansion and I can understand that, but when I look around our yard at all the ragged out equipment and what they are spending on wrecker bills, road calls, and "refurbed" 12 yr old tractors(a new engine is not equal to a total rebuild i'm sorry) I'm not seeing a long term plan here. All I can think about is how other LTL's that have closed let their equipment fall apart toward the end. Sorry for the rambling, just taking my lunch while waiting for a door to open up--let's get back at it, nothing like 12 skids at a grocery warehouse after you eat, and there's sort & segregate involved so don't worry Mr. Z i will mark EVERY fee I can. Later.........

We fired a staright truck driver more than a few weeks ago and still have not filled his position. We have about 4 drivers out on light duty. And yes,all those used tractors they are putting into service seem to be out of service more than in service.Maybe it is a money thing and they are preparing for the future. After a few years of this CSA stuff,drivers with clean records are gonna be a highly sought after commodity,and I guarantee companies will be paying top dollar for those guys.Could just be the new emissions stuff they are avoiding.Keep fixing the junk instead of a trustworthy newer truck. And right now ther is an old 6000 series,spring ride,Mack in our shop getting a brand new engine installed. Some lucky guy is gonna be getting a practically brand new tractor!!!! And out of about 10 tractors in our shop,only one of them is domiciled to our terminal. I love working here,but I love the comedy show here even better :)

i have been around long enough to remember what the maint was like for many of those closed companys. (PIE, Churchil, Transcom, etc) You're right Recap, doesn't look too damn promising does it?

we got all the old ford in atl and still in use and got stering too they got some freightline about 4 and got use about 5 stering that they got from publix food store put new painton them put them right in service

we got all the old ford in atl and still in use and got stering too they got some freightline about 4 and got use about 5 stering that they got from publix food store put new painton them put them right in service
You cant have all the Fords because we have one L9000 still in service here.We had about 4 of them but slowly we have been getting rid of them.No Sterlings but we have gotten a good amount of Freightliners from Penske and we still have all our original Macks including several old CH Macks.No trucks newer than 07 though.