ABF | Not So Quick

ABF Voters vote on contracts and any of the elections. ABF drivers overwhelmingly signed petitions to stop the camera language according to my BA. Our terminal wasn’t 100% because one guy didn’t sign. We will be blocking cameras in the trucks according to our BA.
did anybody talk to the one guy who didn't sign. just wondering why he didn't sign

Still any belief that this wont happen? Its here. and I know that these trucks are checked and noted by fuelers, etc regarding the condition of cameras. Anything out of line, they will go back to previous driver.. So write up VCR, keep copy, take photo, etc to cover your butts.
Without a camera ABA in Indy once tried to fire a road driver over some damage in the cab of the tractor. The Union argued that ABF did not inspect the tractor as soon as he parked the truck. They claimed anyone could have damaged the tractor between the time he got out & the time they noticed the damage. ABF backed out of their claim & never tried that again. A lot of drivers including myself would time stamp a VCR, write 'previous damage all units' write down all the units numbers including the gear. Dispatched said they could not write that & we told them to go pound sand. CYA. Or the company will do unto you as they please. von.

Once Again, Gentlemen,.........

When the company adds a ....."New Condition Of Employment"....such as: "You have to drive with a camera facing you.."
It is negotiated.....and the NLRB will back up any employee who OBJECTS to the company using, viewing, or recording an....unauthorized...video image of any employee hired BEFORE the cameras became a "condition of employment"

You've GOT to put your objections in WRITING,......and give them to the Union and Company......

The fact that the company is....."willing"...to negotiate with the Union over this issue,...tells me that the Legal Departments of all the trucking companies haven't quite worked out the.....LEGALITIES....of unauthorized camera use........

The STRATEGY would be for a grudging acqueisiance by drivers,...after the Union..."allows"...the use of cameras.....

Be Proactive,.....and file a statement saying the company DOES NOT have the right to view your image WITHOUT your express consent.....

And remember.......Silence is Acceptance.......And then the Legal Department Strategy wins......

Did they install it on all city and road tractors?

Good point.......If they do not do it....unilaterally,...and all at the same time,....then their "explanation" that these may...."benefit"..a driver,....becomes discriminatory...

If they provide one driver a....."benefit".......(..no matter how "questionable" the benefit is...).....they MUST provide EVERY driver the same.....

OR,.....Tell the truth and admit these cameras are for surveillance and discipline,....and for liability limits in the event of an accident.
None of which is a....."benefit".......

Yes, Thanks for posting that.....
And,....Once again, the issue,.....at least in Union companies,....will be whether the Employer is now creating a new "Condition of Employment".

That....is negotiable, under NLRB law........not under "Employment-At-Will",..which most, if not all,..non-Union guys work under.....

If there was no camera in the company fleet when you got hired,....they can not discipline or fire you when they do add a camera,...ESPECIALLY if you put it in writing that the company DOES NOT have the right to "view, or use in any way" your video image........As per LAW, your audio recording is a violation of Federal wiretap laws.........

They have to negotiate the use and application of the....."new condition".......

And here's a good example of whether the Teamsters Union actually cares and LISTENS to their members,....or are they just a toady branch of the ATA.......

Good point.......If they do not do it....unilaterally,...and all at the same time,....then their "explanation" that these may...."benefit"..a driver,....becomes discriminatory...

If they provide one driver a....."benefit".......(..no matter how "questionable" the benefit is...).....they MUST provide EVERY driver the same.....

OR,.....Tell the truth and admit these cameras are for surveillance and discipline,....and for liability limits in the event of an accident.
None of which is a....."benefit".......
We have a loaner from Carlisle it’s a 17 Freightliner, came up with a outward only facing camera & they didn’t replace it with the new ones. My question is if abf does get their way with duel facing cameras will the outward only gave to be replaced? I would think so....but who knows

We have a loaner from Carlisle it’s a 17 Freightliner, came up with a outward only facing camera & they didn’t replace it with the new ones. My question is if abf does get their way with duel facing cameras will the outward only gave to be replaced? I would think so....but who knows

If you are... ..."discriminated" against, and forced to drive the loaner with the outward-only facing camera......I would think you have a grievance......

Conversely........those drivers forced to drive the trucks with the driver-facing camera.....while the company picks and chooses who drives one without it........also have grievances.......

Regardless.......I would sign a statement saying the company does not have the right to view or use my image without my Express consent....
Especially if I were a female driver....
That's just creepy......spying on the women....

And when you think about it,..it's just as creepy spying on the men.....

Wear your Go-Pro to the next pre-grievance hearing with the TM.......and ask him if it feels creepy.......

If you are... ..."discriminated" against, and forced to drive the loaner with the outward-only facing camera......I would think you have a grievance......

Conversely........those drivers forced to drive the trucks with the driver-facing camera.....while the company picks and chooses who drives one without it........also have grievances.......

Regardless.......I would sign a statement saying the company does not have the right to view or use my image without my Express consent....
Especially if I were a female driver....
That's just creepy......spying on the women....

And when you think about it,..it's just as creepy spying on the men.....

Wear your Go-Pro to the next pre-grievance hearing with the TM.......and ask him if it feels creepy.......
That’s the reason I’m asking about it, if they don’t replace the ones the freightliners came with (outward facing) then they might know inward facing is a losing battle....

I made up my mind I was going to cover it up. If they want to fire me they can hire one of the no other applications they have for my job. We have Ben trying to hire for over two years at and not one bite. But yrc had a man retire and had a new guy in 3 weeks . What does that tell you?

I made up my mind I was going to cover it up. If they want to fire me they can hire one of the no other applications they have for my job. We have Ben trying to hire for over two years at and not one bite. But yrc had a man retire and had a new guy in 3 weeks . What does that tell you?
It’s covered....for now. I agree with you this company can not hire qualified drivers. Let’s not stop there it’s incompetent TM’s hiring them. I have not seen the Eastern VP Zack L. In over 2 years at my terminal to tell you the truth I do not know what he looks like. When you show up at 10am & leave by 2pm, that leaves very little interaction with your workforce (city terminal) I can tell you morale is at an all time low & has been for the last 6 years (management included)

It’s covered....for now. I agree with you this company can not hire qualified drivers. Let’s not stop there it’s incompetent TM’s hiring them. I have not seen the Eastern VP Zack L. In over 2 years at my terminal to tell you the truth I do not know what he looks like. When you show up at 10am & leave by 2pm, that leaves very little interaction with your workforce (city terminal) I can tell you morale is at an all time low & has been for the last 6 years (management included)
From your prior posts it seems like we have a lot in common. My TM is also fooling the company. As a matter of fact he once boasted that one thing he is good at is fooling his bosses. ABF is so afraid of a driver stealing time, but could care less about the managers. One of the guys at my terminal called the fraud hotline and gave them dates the TM stole and also told them he takes three hour lunches every day and nothing happened. Oh they must have mentioned it to him, but they certainly didn't investigate it. The reason I know they talked to him about it is one of his "buddies" told me someone turned him in. To my knowledge the Eatern VP is Scott A. I did meet Zack twice though, Scott has never been to my terminal.

From your prior posts it seems like we have a lot in common. My TM is also fooling the company. As a matter of fact he once boasted that one thing he is good at is fooling his bosses. ABF is so afraid of a driver stealing time, but could care less about the managers. One of the guys at my terminal called the fraud hotline and gave them dates the TM stole and also told them he takes three hour lunches every day and nothing happened. Oh they must have mentioned it to him, but they certainly didn't investigate it. The reason I know they talked to him about it is one of his "buddies" told me someone turned him in. To my knowledge the Eatern VP is Scott A. I did meet Zack twice though, Scott has never been to my terminal.

A little advice , Brother. Careful with names unless the facts are incontrovertable. They do monitor this site, and others. I absolutely know this,....and I know they can be very....petty ....about things.

Other than that.........your Opinion is protected by the First Amendment,....so always phrase things as your..Opinion.

And,........from my...Opinion.........it seems like they've hired...(..or hatched....spawned?...).....a whole horde of..."managers".....who move Heaven and Earth to do as little as possible in the way of ...productive work...

Of course, all I have is empirical evidence.......You know,....the three hour lunches,...customers complaining they haven't seen the "manager/salesman"..in years.....Falling customer base......LESS EMPLOYEES WORKING THAN WHEN I WAS WORKING.....( I know you're looking,.....The seniority list doesn't lie...)......

What is the "end game" to all this? Proof that the Unionized side....doesn't make money? Gradual shifting of profits to a non-Union subsidiary? Banking everything on....Robot-driven trucks? Trying to drive out ALL the older employees?

How about complete cluelessness of middle management,....and above,....Right to the top......? Kind of like the Captain of the Titanic getting woke up,....AFTER they hit the iceberg?....and all the midshipmen were in the cargo hold..playing cards?

ABF used to hire from within,.....Seems we...all of us,....employees, managers, VP's....were much more goal-oriented......

My Opinion, anyway...........

A little advice , Brother. Careful with names unless the facts are incontrovertable. They do monitor this site, and others. I absolutely know this,....and I know they can be very....petty ....about things.

Other than that.........your Opinion is protected by the First Amendment,....so always phrase things as your..Opinion.

And,........from my...Opinion.........it seems like they've hired...(..or hatched....spawned?...).....a whole horde of..."managers".....who move Heaven and Earth to do as little as possible in the way of ...productive work...

Of course, all I have is empirical evidence.......You know,....the three hour lunches,...customers complaining they haven't seen the "manager/salesman"..in years.....Falling customer base......LESS EMPLOYEES WORKING THAN WHEN I WAS WORKING.....( I know you're looking,.....The seniority list doesn't lie...)......

What is the "end game" to all this? Proof that the Unionized side....doesn't make money? Gradual shifting of profits to a non-Union subsidiary? Banking everything on....Robot-driven trucks? Trying to drive out ALL the older employees?

How about complete cluelessness of middle management,....and above,....Right to the top......? Kind of like the Captain of the Titanic getting woke up,....AFTER they hit the iceberg?....and all the midshipmen were in the cargo hold..playing cards?

ABF used to hire from within,.....Seems we...all of us,....employees, managers, VP's....were much more goal-oriented......

My Opinion, anyway...........
Well said. Not a fact but a rumor or opinion. von.

With your experience your skill set should be put to use as a guest speaker on the Union Hall circuit. Now all ya got to do is figure out how to reach the podium with out being set upon. Now, where in the Sam Hell a is that laid off Secret Service Protection Detail when I need them. von.

With your experience your skill set should be put to use as a guest speaker on the Union Hall circuit. Now all ya got to do is figure out how to reach the podium with out being set upon. Now, where in the Sam Hell a is that laid off Secret Service Protection Detail when I need them. von.

Hah!.....I don't think I'm for...."Public Consumption"........I'm not photogenic,.....I wave my arms wildly when I talk,.......I'm not,...sartorially proficient,...favoring button down in summer, and worn flannel in winter.......

I give smart-a$$ answers to stupid questions,....usually going for the...cheap laugh......

I probably need a haircut.......

Maybe they can use me as a "warm-up" act....for the main speaker.......I'll take the heckles and rotten tomatoes.....