ABF | Now for question 2

Future_Union_Man

TB Lurker
Credits
Thanks for responding to previous DWI question.
Here is my second question: What jobs at ABF are union positions? Like, "driver" would be one. What about other positions at ABF?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

All blue collar workers are union; drivers, dockworkers and mechanics. Driving jobs are either road driver, who is domiciled at a beak bulk, drives from terminal to terminal and hooks his own equipment a lot at the end of line (EOL) terminals or they are city jobs, which are combo driver/dockworker. We bid the whole seniority list at least once a year and drivers have to option to take whatever start time is available and perform the duties of that start time.

Okay. Thanks. I'm not familiar with some of your terminology yet.
So, there is a part-time driver/dockworker position open right now in Asheville where I live. I probably don't qualify yet, but I applied anyway.
I assume this opening is entry-level. But, do employees ever enter through some other ? Or do all employees enter through the position of part-time driver/dockworker?

Okay. Thanks. I'm not familiar with some of your terminology yet.
So, there is a part-time driver/dockworker position open right now in Asheville where I live. I probably don't qualify yet, but I applied anyway.
I assume this opening is entry-level. But, do employees ever enter through some other ? Or do all employees enter through the position of part-time driver/dockworker?

Most union employees at an EOL enter through the position of part-time driver / dockworker. Normally this position is on call to fill vacation or a busy day. If you get hired, prepare to be on call on an as needed basis by a supervisor and take all the work you can get.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Let's clarify one thing. Part time means four hours, causal means on call no guarantee of anything except for 4 hours part time dock and 8 hours city. I do not believe that they have part time dock/city. That would be what we call a combo and they are guaranteed 8 hours when they come in.

Let's clarify one thing. Part time means four hours, causal means on call no guarantee of anything except for 4 hours part time dock and 8 hours city. I do not believe that they have part time dock/city. That would be what we call a combo and they are guaranteed 8 hours when they come in.

True but this is how the ABF website posts the position of casual. They use the term part-time instead of casual to post openings.

Never knew that, maybe it's because most people wouldn't understand what casual means.

If someone is on call and not guaranteed anything, then how do people starting out there keep a second job in order to guarantee themselves adequate income?

If someone is on call and not guaranteed anything, then how do people starting out there keep a second job in order to guarantee themselves adequate income?

Well, that's the million dollar question. We are coming up on our slow season, so don't expect many punches until late Feb or March. We start getting busy again around that time. If you do want the job, answer the phone, take what work they give. I had a great TM when I started and was able to " miss" some call in's to work on the side to make ends meet. Don't expect that these days. Good luck. Starting out is the hardest part, but we all been there.just do the time and move up in seniority, then you can give the jr guy the same advice

What he said+some. On the plus side you are permitted to work at other ABF terminals in your area (if there are any) if they have work available. Other than that I believe the question you ask will prove to be a big problem for the company moving forward. You'll get no vacation until you're on the seniority list for two (2) years and it could easily take you six months to make a seniority list. That sweetens the pot for any prospective new hires too.

I was told yesterday that 050 put two people directly on letters first day. If true that's highly unusual. And it's very strange for them to do this time of year plus on top of the three terminals closing in the area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Take this for what it is worth, but I was told this morning that Asheville was one of the 22 terminals closing. So why in the world would they be posting job openings? Unless we aren't talking about the same Asheville? (NC in my case)

Take this for what it is worth, but I was told this morning that Asheville was one of the 22 terminals closing. So why in the world would they be posting job openings? Unless we aren't talking about the same Asheville? (NC in my case)

Yes Asheville is one. The list came out today on Keepontrucking.com

I was told yesterday that 050 put two people directly on letters first day. If true that's highly unusual. And it's very strange for them to do this time of year plus on top of the three terminals closing in the area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I don't know what they could have in mind doing it in the middle of a transition like that but over the years I have seen them flip flop back and forth on going right on to jerking them around for a year. Seems like it's one of the supply and demand variables.

Yes, I live in Asheville, NC, and that job opening was in Asheville, NC.
You heard today that the terminal in Asheville, NC, was closing? If so, that is going to make my plans more complicated and my goals more difficult. Where did you hear this, if you can tell me?
ABF in Asheville is (was) my first choice. My next choice will be UPS.